PDA

View Full Version : Outsourced Dad/Data on Borrowing

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Howdy,

My dad is an industrial worker whose factory is being exported to Mexico, piece by piece. As he puts it, "Workers [across the border] labor for little pay, with no benefits." When I was introducing him to Ron Paul, he asked if he would still have a job under a Paul administration. I said something about too many taxes and too much regulation migrating factories elsewhere. Is there something else I can add? Does Dr. Paul expect U.S workers to provide services with scant pay and benefits? I don't know much about free market economics but I'm worried less regulation=Grapes of Wrath.

As a side note, Dad was impressed when I mentioned the US borrows $40 billion per day from China to finance the war; did I get my number correct? Is there a .gov domain website where I can visit to find accurate data on our borrowing/war costs/debt?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

davver
12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
He is against NAFTA and the NAU.

The real economic problems is America relate to our monetary policy from the federal reserve bank. Our lack of domestic savings requires us to run trade deficiets. It is a very complicated topic, but very important, and Paul is the only one with an answer.

Can someone give a youtube link.

pdavis
12-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Our number one export are paper dollars. Why work when you can just print money and create credit out of thin air ,since people around the world accept them as though it were something of value, to pay for cheap goods?

braumstr
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Ok. Playing the devil here.....

So, if we are the worlds last super power AND we control the worlds oil supply either directly or through surrogate states, whats wrong with our money?

Take it, or else?

I realize no one is saying this DIRECTLY, but everyone and their cousin knows thats what Iraq is all about.

nickcoons
12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
As a side note, Dad was impressed when I mentioned the US borrows $40 billion per day from China to finance the war; did I get my number correct?

No. We borrow about $3 billion per day from foreigners to finance many things including the war, much of which comes from China. Though not as high as your figure, that's still a substantial amount.. about $1 trillion per year.

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-20-2007, 01:42 AM
No. We borrow about $3 billion per day from foreigners to finance many things including the war, much of which comes from China. Though not as high as your figure, that's still a substantial amount.. about $1 trillion per year.

Thanks. I felt my estimate was off. Dad wanted to know where Congressman Paul/yourself got these figures. Is there a source I could cite? "According to the National Treasury Department..."

That sort of thing would please him. He was really piqued when I told him about the cash.

Thank you for your time. Be well.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-20-2007, 01:54 AM
He is against NAFTA and the NAU.

The real economic problems is America relate to our monetary policy from the federal reserve bank. Our lack of domestic savings requires us to run trade deficiets. It is a very complicated topic, but very important, and Paul is the only one with an answer.

Can someone give a youtube link.

Yes. Anything in Dr. Paul's own words would be good.

I don't know much about trade agreements and I'll have to see how Dad feels about NAFTA. In regards to a free-market system, is there a brief way to explain that less regulation = dad keeping his job without having to work for $.40 an hour to compete with the labor force of a developing country?

Thank you very much for your reply. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Chester Copperpot
12-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Howdy,

My dad is an industrial worker whose factory is being exported to Mexico, piece by piece. As he puts it, "Workers [across the border] labor for little pay, with no benefits." When I was introducing him to Ron Paul, he asked if he would still have a job under a Paul administration. I said something about too many taxes and too much regulation migrating factories elsewhere. Is there something else I can add? Does Dr. Paul expect U.S workers to provide services with scant pay and benefits? I don't know much about free market economics but I'm worried less regulation=Grapes of Wrath.

As a side note, Dad was impressed when I mentioned the US borrows $40 billion per day from China to finance the war; did I get my number correct? Is there a .gov domain website where I can visit to find accurate data on our borrowing/war costs/debt?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

You also have to realize your dad's job isnt getting exported just because of lower pay to mexico. It is because of the trade deals we have in place like NAFTA which encourage this type of practice and give companies inventives to do this sort of thing.

AS an example 2 countries have a higher cost of labor then the USA.. They are germany and japan.. And neither of them has an outsourcing problem.

One thing you can guarantee. When we get rid of the income tax, you will see such an influx of companies coming back to America that there will probably be a shortage of labor to handle all the jobs. Companies will return to America in droves.

nickcoons
12-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks. I felt my estimate was off. Dad wanted to know where Congressman Paul/yourself got these figures. Is there a source I could cite? "According to the National Treasury Department..."

If you search Google for "US borrowing from China", you'll find dozens of results showing you basically the same figures. I have seen it so many places and heard it from so many people in Washington besides Congressman Paul.. so I can't quote a specific source as I don't recall one. But I've never heard of anyone disputing it.

strategos
12-20-2007, 02:50 AM

naw deficit for this year is like 300 billion.

Really the reason our jobs move away is the corporate tax and overegulation. Increased labor cost in another problem, but many countries dont charge a corporate tax.

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-20-2007, 03:03 AM
AS an example 2 countries have a higher cost of labor then the USA.. They are germany and japan.. And neither of them has an outsourcing problem.

One thing you can guarantee. When we get rid of the income tax, you will see such an influx of companies coming back to America that there will probably be a shortage of labor to handle all the jobs. Companies will return to America in droves.

This is because there will be no more corporate taxation as well?

is there a PBS article/documentary/other academic source which points to the ups and downs of NAFTA?

I wish there were a book titled, "A Critical Examination of All Things Ron Paul" which functioned as a For Dummies™ guide to the President's platform.

Thank you for your answers, even so.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

davver
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Try youtube. That is your best bet. Look for stuff that is "top rated" rather then most viewed.

possible searches include

ron paul +
trade
trade agreements
nau
nafta
monetary policy
federal reserve
sound money
gold standard

It is important to note that persistant trade deficiets are impossible under a gold standard. If you run a trade deficiet you have to send the gold abroad, which makes you unable to purchase more goods from abroad. You must then export to get the gold back.

Also, Austrian Economics is a good starter. Though to be honest it would take you a long time to study and understand it.

The skinny of it is this: budget deficiets and a lack of personal savings will cause a trade deficiet to form. Both of these have been enabled and encouraged by federal reserve policy.

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks everybody,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will try those YouTube and Google searches. So far as borrowing is concerned, I found a blog which contains a link to a New York Times pie chart/graph:

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/subsidizing_us_.html

Brian4Liberty
12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Howdy,
When I was introducing him to Ron Paul, he asked if he would still have a job under a Paul administration. I said something about too many taxes and too much regulation migrating factories elsewhere. Is there something else I can add? Does Dr. Paul expect U.S workers to provide services with scant pay and benefits?

You can tell your Dad that Ron Paul is the only honest candidate up there, and he truly has the best interests of the people in mind. All of the other candidates are bought and paid for by those companies (and organizations) that have no qualms about turning the American worker into a slave.

Tom228
12-22-2007, 06:50 PM
It'd be kinda hard to control consumption, every American wants to have cool and new things. Kinda makes controlling a deficit budget pretty difficult. As for outsourcing, I agree we need to keep the good jobs here (ie: engineers, service type jobs).

MrCoffee
12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
It'd be kinda hard to control consumption, every American wants to have cool and new things. Kinda makes controlling a deficit budget pretty difficult. As for outsourcing, I agree we need to keep the good jobs here (ie: engineers, service type jobs).

Consumption is controlled through higher prices.

edit: actually, you may view it as overconsumption because of price controlling. Once you quit controlling prices, the overconsumption ends.

davver
12-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Credit is kept artificially cheap by the Fed. Thus people go and borrow money to buy things because credit is so cheap.