PDA

View Full Version : Since Our Good Doctor Intends To Return More Power To The States...

daniroyer
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
...then it goes to say that we should aim to fill our local government with those we feel will assure our states uphold the values we hold dear? Even in the event that Dr. Paul should lose (not if they actually listen to us), we need to get like-minded people into all aspects of American government.

That being said...

I think I'm going to run for Florida State House for district 119. I haven't looked into the exact logistics of this other than the basic eligibility, but I can afford the fee, I can get 670 signatures, and I'm sick of many of the mistakes my state officials are making.

Change starts at home. I was planning on just running for school board since my biggest stance is everything starts with education, but I fear my voice would be too small to do real good there. Now that I know I am old enough to run (someone had mistakenly told me you had to be 25 to run for state office; I turn 24 in February) I'm not going uber-local -- I'm going state, baby!

The only reason I said "I think" rather than "I am" is I do have to consider the effect this would have on my children. I know by running and hopefully winning that I will help them in the long run, but I do have that nagging fear in the back of my skull that I should wait until they're older. That is all that's holding me back and it's honestly a stupid and sexist thing for me to be thinking.

But I think I'm going to do this. I'm going to do this.

EDITED TO ADD: Juan C. Zapata (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4288&SessionId=57), a Republican, is the incumbent.