PDA

View Full Version : New American Revolutionaries Party? Why not?

BigFatRock
12-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I know this idea was casually mentioned in some other post, and I apologize if I'm retreading covered territory. But maybe there is something to the idea that we could form a new political party with the name given in the last email sent out by the campaign.

I think we've all seen that we don't have to agree on everything to join together and promote the single idea of small, constitutional government.

There's no limits that I know of on how much money you can give to a political party, and we've already proved that we can raise millions. I'm willing to bet that if we focused on a few congressional races in key, vulnerable areas, we could pull something off. Imagine giving a good congressional candidate several million dollars to back him up. All we need is a few more people in Congress speaking Ron's message publicly to throw a monkey wrench into the works. And if we could get just a single senator elected... oh my goodness how we may be able to sway key votes. Sure, we're taking on a biased system, but we're not talking a national effort in the beginning. We're talking focusing on key areas that we can win, and then building from there.

We really could change Congress.

Here's a party idea I've already joined, and I encourage you to check it out. The entire concept of this party is built on the idea of working together to make government smaller, and devolving power back to the states, despite disagreements we have on the issues. Actually, the main focus of this group right now is to discuss how to make a third party viable.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/American_Freedom_Party/

But no matter what we go with and the direction we take in the end, let's make this movement into something.

Ron's stuck his neck out for more than 30 years, and now he has backup. Let's give him some congressional backup for when he gets into the White House.

Thoughts?

BigFatRock
12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
bump.... anyone? thoughts?

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
i always thought and "knew" that we could form our own political party.... the thing is, we wouldn't get a fair shot... the best thing to do IMO is to retake the republican party... just like the Neo-Cons hijacked the republican party in the 80s and 90s, we could just as easily retake it...

HippyChimp
12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Third parties won't work. Sad to say, but true. we've got to take the GOP back.

phoenix1861
12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Couple of things on this:

1) Taking the GOP back from the entrenched elites that control it may be well-nigh impossible, unless Ron Paul wins the nomination and the big government warhawks flee from the party.

2) Realistically, creating a third party from this "Ron Paul revolution" would, in many ways, be easier than trying to implement Ron's agenda should he actually become president.

3) Third parties have failed in the past because they've not had enough grassroots support to sustain them and their agendas have not been broad enough. By contrast, Ron Paul revolutionaries have already proven their grassroots organizing ability and Ron's agenda allows for a very broad base of support (he draws on Dems, Repubs and Indeps). The AFP that BigFatRock mentioned is oriented like this as well, and could be an excellent vehicle for launching a candidacy if Ron does not get the GOP nomination.

4) Ron Paul has mentioned that his experience as a third party candidate was dismal, but he has far more name-recognition and backing now than he did when he ran as the LP candidate in 1988. I believe that things could be quite different this time around.

5) As Ron Paul has said, our system is not very democratic. This is something that needs to change if we're going to change anything else about our country. Alternative political voices need to be heard, and this movement has enough momentum and dedicated members to make that happen.

Despite the events of the past, I believe that we finally have the kind of leadership and grassroots movement that could create a viable third party, and heaven knows that we need one. If Ron Paul snapped his fingers, I think we could have a new third party registered in virtually every state within a few weeks.

Grandson of Liberty
12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Third parties won't work. Sad to say, but true. we've got to take the GOP back.

I would normally agree with you. However, it's possible that emergence of a third party that would cost the GOP every single election might unfortunately be what is necessary to get the GOP back. At this point, if that's what it takes, then so be it.

Either way, we either end up with renewed GOP, or it eventually goes away and is replaced by a party that actually represents liberty and conservative thinking.

NewEnd
12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Concerned Liberals and Independant Thinkers Of Republican Interests Society

Would sound better than NARP.

(I stole it from Red Dwarf)