View Full Version : Minuteman reconsiders Huckabee endorsement

Jodi
12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
He would do well to consider Ron Paul

Posted: December 18, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee in the moments following the Values Voter Debate Sept. 17, 2007, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (WND photo)
Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist says he will have to reconsider his endorsement of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee after learning the Republican presidential candidate favors allowing illegal aliens to wait only days to receive documents allowing re-entry into the U.S.

In a Dec. 9 Fox News interview, just two days before Gilchrist's endorsement, Huckabee was questioned by host Chris Wallace about an apparent contradiction between statements last year that he preferred a pathway to citizenship and his current plan. On his campaign website, Huckabee outlines a proposal that would require illegal aliens to repatriate and get on the back of the line, which could mean years for re-entry into the United States.

Huckabee insisted there is no discrepancy, specifying that "the pathway to get back here legally doesn't take years. It would take days, maybe weeks, and then people could come back in the workforce."

Asked by WND to respond, Gilchrist backtracked, admitting he may have been mistaken in his initial assumptions about the repatriation provisions of Huckabee's "Secure America Plan."

"I'm going to have to follow up on this," Gilchrist said. "I had not seen before anything in Governor Huckabee's plan where repatriation and touch-back could involve only days, not years.

"I personally need to talk to Governor Huckabee about this," he added. "This issue needs to be between Governor Huckabee and me."

(Story continues below)

Huckabee's admission to Fox News directly contradicted a condition Gilchrist stated was a sine qua non of his endorsement.

As previously reported, Gilchrist told WND, "Nothing I can find in Huckabee's plan indicates he is going to let the illegal immigrants back into the country the next day after they go home.

"The illegal aliens, once they are back home, will have to stand in line with everybody else and apply for legal entry at the end of the line," Gilchrist insisted, representing what he thought was the Huckabee plan.

Gilchrist further stated at the time, "If, in fact, there is no standing in line and waiting for legal entry, I would have a serious reservation about endorsing Huckabee."

Despite the new information about Huckabee's plan, Gilchrist declined to withdraw immediately his endorsement.

"I need to get answers from Huckabee himself about this discrepancy," Gilchrist said. "I want a valid explanation and I want it published.

"Plus, I have some other questions too that you're not aware of that I have already queried Governor Huckabee's staff about yesterday and again this morning," he continued. "But it's going to take about 72 hours to get responses."

Gilchrist declined to specify the additional questions.

In the Fox News interview, Wallace asked Huckabee about the apparent inconsistency.

"Well, I don't think there's an inconsistency," Huckabee said. "When I said a pathway, I didn't say what the pathway was.

"I now believe that the only thing the American people are going to accept – and frankly, the only thing that really makes sense – is a pathway that sends people back to the starting point," Huckabee continued.

"But this idea of the waiting years – no, I don't agree with that," he stressed. "In fact, look, if we can get a credit card application done within hours, if we can get passports done within days, if we can transact business over the Internet any place in the world within seconds, do a background check instantaneously – it's our government that has failed and is dysfunctional."

Huckabee went on to say, "It shouldn't take years to get a work permit to come here and pick lettuce."

He further specified, "But the pathway to get back here legally doesn't take years. It would take days, maybe weeks, and then people could come back in the workforce."

That repatriation provisions in Huckabee's "Secure America Plan" apparently are supported by Point 9 of his plan, which calls for an increase in the number of visas available for highly skilled and highly educated applicants.

Posted: December 18, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee in the moments following the Values Voter Debate Sept. 17, 2007, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (WND photo)
Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist says he will have to reconsider his endorsement of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee after learning the Republican presidential candidate favors allowing illegal aliens to wait only days to receive documents allowing re-entry into the U.S.

In a Dec. 9 Fox News interview, just two days before Gilchrist's endorsement, Huckabee was questioned by host Chris Wallace about an apparent contradiction between statements last year that he preferred a pathway to citizenship and his current plan. On his campaign website, Huckabee outlines a proposal that would require illegal aliens to repatriate and get on the back of the line, which could mean years for re-entry into the United States.

Huckabee insisted there is no discrepancy, specifying that "the pathway to get back here legally doesn't take years. It would take days, maybe weeks, and then people could come back in the workforce."

Asked by WND to respond, Gilchrist backtracked, admitting he may have been mistaken in his initial assumptions about the repatriation provisions of Huckabee's "Secure America Plan."

"I'm going to have to follow up on this," Gilchrist said. "I had not seen before anything in Governor Huckabee's plan where repatriation and touch-back could involve only days, not years.

"I personally need to talk to Governor Huckabee about this," he added. "This issue needs to be between Governor Huckabee and me."

(Story continues below)

Huckabee's admission to Fox News directly contradicted a condition Gilchrist stated was a sine qua non of his endorsement.

As previously reported, Gilchrist told WND, "Nothing I can find in Huckabee's plan indicates he is going to let the illegal immigrants back into the country the next day after they go home.

"The illegal aliens, once they are back home, will have to stand in line with everybody else and apply for legal entry at the end of the line," Gilchrist insisted, representing what he thought was the Huckabee plan.

Gilchrist further stated at the time, "If, in fact, there is no standing in line and waiting for legal entry, I would have a serious reservation about endorsing Huckabee."

Despite the new information about Huckabee's plan, Gilchrist declined to withdraw immediately his endorsement.

"I need to get answers from Huckabee himself about this discrepancy," Gilchrist said. "I want a valid explanation and I want it published.

"Plus, I have some other questions too that you're not aware of that I have already queried Governor Huckabee's staff about yesterday and again this morning," he continued. "But it's going to take about 72 hours to get responses."

Gilchrist declined to specify the additional questions.

In the Fox News interview, Wallace asked Huckabee about the apparent inconsistency.

"Well, I don't think there's an inconsistency," Huckabee said. "When I said a pathway, I didn't say what the pathway was.

"I now believe that the only thing the American people are going to accept – and frankly, the only thing that really makes sense – is a pathway that sends people back to the starting point," Huckabee continued.

"But this idea of the waiting years – no, I don't agree with that," he stressed. "In fact, look, if we can get a credit card application done within hours, if we can get passports done within days, if we can transact business over the Internet any place in the world within seconds, do a background check instantaneously – it's our government that has failed and is dysfunctional."

Huckabee went on to say, "It shouldn't take years to get a work permit to come here and pick lettuce."

He further specified, "But the pathway to get back here legally doesn't take years. It would take days, maybe weeks, and then people could come back in the workforce."

That repatriation provisions in Huckabee's "Secure America Plan" apparently are supported by Point 9 of his plan, which calls for an increase in the number of visas available for highly skilled and highly educated applicants.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59254

KingTheoden
12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Why was he ever considering endorsing the Huck?

PatriotOne
12-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Gilchrist must be taking some heat for this endorsement.....as he should. I find it amazing how little homework Glchrist must of done on Huckabee before he endorsed. A Google search could have exposed him in about 5 seconds.

apc3161
12-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Gilchrist must be taking some heat for this endorsement.....as he should. I find it amazing how little homework Glchrist must of done on Huckabee before he endorsed. A Google search could have exposed him in about 5 seconds.

Yea seriously, wtf....

RPFTW!
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I get the impression that Huck is paying for these endorsements

PatriotOne
12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I get the feeling the Minutemen are talking about unendorsing Gilchrist as their spokesman ;). Only RP or Tancredo hae the creds for this endorsement and the actual members know that. I feel an endorsement in our future due to pressure from the members myself.

Gorgy
12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I get the feeling the Minutemen are talking about unendorsing Gilchrist as their spokesman ;). Only RP or Tancredo hae the creds for this endorsement and the actual members know that. I feel an endorsement in our future due to pressure from the members myself.

If you're going to include Tancredo, you might as well toss in Hunter too. The fence-reliance idea is idiotic, but he seems to be fervently anti-illegals.

CurtisLow
12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Good job PatriotOne!

PatriotOne
12-19-2007, 02:16 AM
If you're going to include Tancredo, you might as well toss in Hunter too. The fence-reliance idea is idiotic, but he seems to be fervently anti-illegals.

I stand corrected. Though I can't imagine the Minutemen endorsing a candidate this late in the game who's doing so bad I forget he's even running...LOL

PatriotOne
12-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Good job PatriotOne!

Why thanks Curtis! Not sure why I deserved it but since any kudo's my way are far and few between, I'll take it :D.

Ron Paul in 2008
12-19-2007, 02:34 AM
After Gilchrist endorsed Huckabee I lost all of my respect for him. He needs to repent and endorse Ron Paul and then I will forgive him.

Minuteman2008
12-19-2007, 05:05 AM
I am so disappointed in Gilchrist. I used to think he was great. I met him at a ralley for John Hostettler which had Terry Anderson, Michael Cutler, Bay Buchanan, and a few other interesting people. I got him to sign my copy of his book, and he even called me up onstage and gave me a hat and a pin since I told him I'm a USMC veteran (now a civilian). He seemed down to earth and honestly concerned about illegal immigration, the kind of guy who would only endorse politicians who have proven themselves. Gilchrist should now be ashamed of himself. There are three candidates that can be trusted on immigration, period. Tancredo, Hunter and Paul. That is all. The rest are pandering liars, and I thought Gilchrist was wise enough not to fall for this kind of nonsense.

He so badly needs to retract his support for Huckabee to salvage what is left of his reputation. I know he's worked hard to draw attention to the problem of illegal immigration. It is such a shame to see his efforts completely wasted and his image completely tarnished by stumping for Huckabee.

voytechs
12-19-2007, 05:09 AM
LOL!!! What idiots to endorse him in the first place.

Kingfisher
12-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Email Gilchrist and respectfully ask him to check out Ron Pauls stance.