PDA

View Full Version : I hit the jackpot for an advertising idea!!!

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, maybe not THE jackpot, but its pretty darn good !!!

I live in central IL and I was out last week talking to people here in Decatur, and I just happened to talk to someone in town whos grandfather owns TONS of farm land up and down RT 51, which is a major road that goes between Decatur and Bloomington IL that sees tens of thousands of cars and trucks go down it daily. Luckily I always put my phone number on the back of the flyers I hand out, and this lady called back just about 1 hr ago and told me she was planning on supporting Romney, but after reading the flyer,and going on the net to check out more detail, that she was now supporting Ron Paul completely, and her grandfather also liked Ron Paul and would be willing to let me put up roadside signs if I wanted to do it. She decided to call me because I told her, just like I tell all people I hand flyers out to when I go door to door, that if theres anything they want to do, or any questions about anything they have, they can call me and I'll help in any way I can.

So back to the plan.........

She said if I did the work and paid for the signs and put them up, he would let me put them on the edge of his farm land for FREE !!!

My plan is to do something I saw on a YouTube video from the Ohio Meetup group. They had roughly 4 or 5 different signs spaced about 100 ft apart( ill have to check the video for the exact wording) but it went something like this:

1 He said no to the Iraq war

2 He says no to the IRS

3 He says no to Big Government

4 He says no to Amnesty

5 HE says no to policing the world

and the last big sign says Say YES to Ron Paul for president in 2008 -
ronpaul2008.com

I figure I will do something like this, but im still thinking since this is such new news.

I figure they will have to be plastic since the wind and rain we get out here would tear apart any cardboard signs within 3 days.

He said I can keep them up as long as I want to.

This is great because there are literally thousands and thousands of people who will see this every day.

If anyone knows any farmers, you might want to try and talk to them about Ron Paul and see if you can do something similar.

1k9
07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
It's a great opportunity. Is there a Meetup group that you can get with for any help you might need? Seems like there should be, and remember to take lots of pics. :)

Lord Xar
07-07-2007, 12:16 PM
sounds like a great idea... you need to of course film it and photo it... and then post here.

Make sure it looks professional though :-)

MozoVote
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
With strong support like this from a private propety owner, go for wooden signs, painted and planted on posts. It looks much more definative, and they can't be yanked up and stolen.

mikelovesgod
07-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Why not have a sign that first says Ron Paul and finishes with Ron Paul? I wouldn't use the word amnesty without mentioning Illegal Immigrants. I would say "He Says No to Illegal Immigrants".

Great freaking idea!!!

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:22 PM
It's a great opportunity. Is there a Meetup group that you can get with for any help you might need? Seems like there should be, and remember to take lots of pics. :)

Ill definitely take pictures of it.

I thought about joining a meetup group, and though they have good ideas and things like that, they seem to centralize the operation too much for my taste. For instance, they get like 20 people gather on one street corner and hand out flyers and hold up signs, but it only takes one person to do that. Seems they are wasting their manpower by doing that. Instead they should split up maybe in pairs and section out parts of town and go door to door handing out flyers. Alot of them just seem to like to do things in groups instead of utilizing their numbers in a better more efficient way.

Maybe Ill rethink the meetup thing, but I dont know.

MozoVote
07-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Ill definitely take pictures of it.

they get like 20 people gather on one street corner and hand out flyers and hold up signs, but it only takes one person to do that. Seems they are wasting their manpower by doing that. Instead they should split up maybe in pairs and section out parts of town and go door to door handing out flyers.

I have a middle ground opinion on that. You do feel like a doofus standing alone on a corner. Two or three or four is enough to not feel alone, and have someone to talk with.

But I agree more coverage is better. Get 4 people on 5 corners, not 20 on just one.

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:25 PM
With strong support like this from a private propety owner, go for wooden signs, painted and planted on posts. It looks much more definative, and they can't be yanked up and stolen.

Thats better than plastic

good idea, ill do that

Spirit of '76
07-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Man, that is AWESOME! Great work, friend!

Love the "brylcreem sign" idea. One of the things about the old brylcreem signs is that they were kind fun because they rhymed. This makes them more memorable than lots of other advertisements.

You might think about trying that out. Here are some ideas:

Be part of the solution

|
Don't let our country fall

|
Save the Constitution

|
Nominate Ron Paul.

|
RonPaul2008.com

Everyone help out

|
And save our Liberty

|
There really is no doubt

|
Ron Paul's the guy we need.

|
RonPaul2008.com

Just some ideas. Hope you find them helpful. Keep up the great work!

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Man, that is AWESOME! Great work, friend!

Love the "brylcreem sign" idea. One of the things about the old brylcreem signs is that they were kind fun because they rhymed. This makes them more memorable than lots of other advertisements.

You might think about trying that out. Here are some ideas:

Just some ideas. Hope you find them helpful. Keep up the great work!

another good idea.......... kinda like the ones we have around here for gun rights signs they use. ill keep it in mind. its gonna take some labor on my part but ill get moving on that soon.

Ironslave
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I like your signs... before the last one, I would say

"He always says YES to the constitution"

wtbuser
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I just drove from Bloomington... I go there every once in a while.. maybe I can help sometime...

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I like your signs... before the last one, I would say

"He always says YES to the constitution"

Yeah thats a good one too.

Man, if I think about it too long, there will end up being 20 signs and take a miles driving to get the full message :D

wecandoit
07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Great! The name Ron Paul should really be what jumps out. If anything, even if that is all they see, it would be enough to make people wonder who Ron Paul is and how good he must be for someone to put his name in a field.

I'm sure there will be a lot of great ideas for this, mine would be: RON PAUL IS FOR US! ....RonPaul2008.com

quickmike
07-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I just drove from Bloomington... I go there every once in a while.. maybe I can help sometime...

Ill make sure that I post it here when I get the plan together. thanks

Spirit of '76
07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Cool deal. Do what you've gotta do, man! http://ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif

nayjevin
07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
It's leadership...
This country lacks...
Defend our borders...
Not Iraq's!
www.ronpaul2008.com

I think your idea is great though, it gets alot of points across, whereas this is only one.

CAKochenash
07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, maybe not THE jackpot, but its pretty darn good !!!

I live in central IL and I was out last week talking to people here in Decatur

Need any financial help? I also live in NW Indiana...not too far of a drive if u need help with construction. I am very excited about this. Great find.

LastoftheMohicans
07-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Make sure you put the 1-800 number on one of the signs. Not everybody has internet access.

Spirit of '76
07-07-2007, 01:12 PM
It's leadership...
This country lacks...
Defend our borders...
Not Iraq's!
www.ronpaul2008.com

Nice! :D

Dave
07-07-2007, 01:15 PM
This is a great thread and it makes me think of a question I've been pondering:

Can someone with construction experience help us all out here? I can get a nice 4' by 8' coroplast sign and I want to put it on some of my property along a major highway. What is the best way to do this? We need someone to design a method of displaying big coroplast signs in an economical and efficient way.

Could someone who's good at this kind of thing design a wooden stand-type frame or something and then post drawings and a materials sheet, etc. and assembly instructions? Then the rest of us all over the country could go to Menards or whatever and buy all the right materials in the right sizes and then come home and assemble the whole thing and stick it in the ground somehow. It has to be able to withstand some pretty serious winds out here in the great plains yet it can't be overly expensive or complicated. Make this a cookie-cutter approach so it's easy to mass-produce and replicate.

It seems like we could save a lot of trouble nation-wide if someone could figure out the best way to do this and then post the instructions.

Anybody up to this or know someone who is?

quickmike
07-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Need any financial help? I also live in NW Indiana...not too far of a drive if u need help with construction. I am very excited about this. Great find.

Thanks, but Ive got that covered. I have a few friends in the construction business that will surely donate any wooden posts or materials it might take. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it alot.

By the way, Valparaiso IN was my hometown growing up.

quickmike
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I would suggest everyone in here that isnt shy about knocking on someones door, to go talk to the farmers. Find out who owns the land, how they feel politically and if they would be willing to do something like this. Might be the start of something big. Who knows.

maiki
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I would suggest that either A) each sign contains Ron Paul's name in smaller letters OR b) have a sign that says Ron Paul 2008 every 2-3 signs. People's attention span on the road will not be good enough to follow a speech for a few miles, or might look away at the crucial first or last sign.

monotony
07-07-2007, 01:27 PM
This is a fantastic opportunity to wake people up to his views.

One of the signs that I think people are overlooking is that he is AGAINST A NATIONAL ID!!!!

There are sooooo many different groups and ideologies that are so against the idea of a National ID that I think it is an important message to share along with all the other cornerstones of his philosophy. Great work! It is exciting to see how Ron Paul's campaign is spontaneously mobilizing to spread the message of freedom. Nothing is more powerful than the Truth!

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Great! The name Ron Paul should really be what jumps out. If anything, even if that is all they see, it would be enough to make people wonder who Ron Paul is and how good he must be for someone to put his name in a field.

I'm sure there will be a lot of great ideas for this, mine would be: RON PAUL IS FOR US! ....RonPaul2008.com

Depending on how much space you have, put a simple, smaller "Ron Paul" sign between each of the other signs.

Spirit of '76
07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I would suggest that either A) each sign contains Ron Paul's name in smaller letters OR b) have a sign that says Ron Paul 2008 every 2-3 signs. People's attention span on the road will not be good enough to follow a speech for a few miles, or might look away at the crucial first or last sign.

Depending on how much space you have, put a simple, smaller "Ron Paul" sign between each of the other signs.

Do you guys not remember the Burma-shave (thanks to Dave for the correction) signs? They really catch your attention.

I remember a few years back, WV started using the technique in an anti-litter campaign, and it really caught on. Virginia was using them to promote seat belt use for a while.

Trust me, they work, but blowing the punchline too soon ruins the effect. Not letting 'em know who you're talking about until the end actually ensures that you hold their attention for the entire message.

Dave
07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Do you guys not remember the brylcreem signs? They really catch your attention.

Do you mean Burma-Shave? I've heard folks older than me (40) talk about those.

sunny
07-07-2007, 01:55 PM

wow! quickmike that's great........if i was out your way i'd pitch in but now it's got me thinking if i can do the same thing right here......there's rural land and some highways with traffic.

i'm coordinating the contacting all the people in the meetup group here so we can get going on stuff like this.....there are 22 of us all together. hopefully this coming week will be our first meeting.

thanks for the great idea and give that lady farmer a big kiss for me!

Spirit of '76
07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Burma-shave! That's right. Thanks for the correction. :)

Yeah, those are the ones.

quickmike
07-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I think it would be best to hold off on the Ron Paul sign until the end. Keeps them wondering who supports these things. After all if youre driving 65 mph, its not going to take too long for the whole message to be complete if you see a different sign every 3 seconds. If someone has THAT short of an attention span, they probably dont care about politics anyway.:D

njandrewg
07-07-2007, 02:17 PM
How about this?

Rights you've lost in the last 20 years:
|
Each crossed out:
|
Restore the Constitution
|
Elect Ron Paul
|
Learn more at www.ronpaul2008.com

quickmike
07-07-2007, 02:18 PM
wow! quickmike that's great........if i was out your way i'd pitch in but now it's got me thinking if i can do the same thing right here......there's rural land and some highways with traffic.

i'm coordinating the contacting all the people in the meetup group here so we can get going on stuff like this.....there are 22 of us all together. hopefully this coming week will be our first meeting.

thanks for the great idea and give that lady farmer a big kiss for me!

Oh no, It wasnt the lady that was the farmer, she just lived here in town, here in Decatur. It is her grandfather that owns the land about 10 miles north of town. I was going door to door talking to people and giving flyers out when I talked to her. Ill definitely thank her anyway;)

Just shows what kind of support you can get when you get out there and talk to people. Hell, I probably talked to her for 15 minutes just about her pug dogs in the middle of talking about politics. She said she was a Romney supporter and all I said to her was "Yeah, hes good looking enough I guess, but if you can, just check Ron Paul out and look at the flyer" I never say anything bad about the guy they support, because that makes people go on the offense, and you wont get ANYONE to support your guy if you do it that way. It was a week later that she called me back and said she was impressed by him and his views. She said it reminded her of her dad and grandfather liking Reagan back in the 80's, and thats why she called her grandfather to tell him about Ron. He already knew of him a little but wasnt really aware of how he stood on the issues. She gave him the flyer that I gave to her, and that brought me to where this thing is now.

Talk to people, dont push, just talk about anything they bring up and let them know you really support Ron Paul with all your heart. If they feel they can talk to you on a personal level, that just makes them take what you say more seriously.

Try it, you might like it.

krott5333
07-07-2007, 02:43 PM
make them out of wood

Thor
07-07-2007, 02:44 PM
This is a great thread and it makes me think of a question I've been pondering:

Can someone with construction experience help us all out here? I can get a nice 4' by 8' coroplast sign and I want to put it on some of my property along a major highway. What is the best way to do this? We need someone to design a method of displaying big coroplast signs in an economical and efficient way.

Could someone who's good at this kind of thing design a wooden stand-type frame or something and then post drawings and a materials sheet, etc. and assembly instructions? Then the rest of us all over the country could go to Menards or whatever and buy all the right materials in the right sizes and then come home and assemble the whole thing and stick it in the ground somehow. It has to be able to withstand some pretty serious winds out here in the great plains yet it can't be overly expensive or complicated. Make this a cookie-cutter approach so it's easy to mass-produce and replicate.

It seems like we could save a lot of trouble nation-wide if someone could figure out the best way to do this and then post the instructions.

Anybody up to this or know someone who is?

ANYONE on a major highway should be putting up signs yesterday... :)

Hopefully you and quickmike can keep in touch so you know what he did to get them up. I would imagine with 4 x 8 board, you might want to get about 6 or 7 of them and make a sign 8 feet tall and 24 to 28 feet wide. Ever see an old tractor trailer used as a bill board? That is huge. But from a road, you want it easy to read. Larger the better.

BTW quickmike, that is fantastic news. Do you know how many feet (or miles) of road frontage the farmer has?

maiki
07-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I think it would be best to hold off on the Ron Paul sign until the end. Keeps them wondering who supports these things. After all if youre driving 65 mph, its not going to take too long for the whole message to be complete if you see a different sign every 3 seconds. If someone has THAT short of an attention span, they probably dont care about politics anyway.:D

But they are driving, probably paying attention *on the road* not a bunch of random signs. People are bombarded with so much advertisement every day they go to great lengths to avoid it, ignore it, etc. Dismissing people with "short attention spans" as not being interested in politics is losing a whole lot of potential voters. If you are talking to a friend, you might miss half the signs. If you are listening to your favorite song on the radio, you might only casually glance at 2-3 signs. If you disagree with one or two of the signs, you might stop reading them altogether. Maybe they happen to cough and sneeze and miss the critical last sign, and they end up being frustrated and annoyed.

Secondarily, repeated exposure to the name helps burn it into people's brains. Even if they know nothing about RP, getting them to remember the name is far more important. How many billboards do you remember? Or advertisements you saw over the course of the day? Repetition helps build recall. If the ONLY thing they remember about your signs is the name Ron Paul, you are in good shape. If they remember a bunch of signs about some political guy who seemed cool, but you don't know his name or what office he is running for, it is all for naught.

Thor
07-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Did you get anywhere with the signs?

foofighter20x
07-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Edited:

How about this?

Rights you've lost in the last 20 years:
|
Each crossed out:
|
Bring back the Constitution
|
Elect Ron Paul
|
Learn more at www.ronpaul2008.com

Dave
07-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Did you get anywhere with the signs?

I've got a 4x8 in my yard and spent part of the weekend working on getting two 4x8's in a 'V' up on the highway (Iowa 163). It's not quite finished but I'll finish this today and post some pictures.

micahnelson
07-30-2007, 08:08 AM
government spending

is breaking our backs

time to rethink

the income tax

Ron Paul

or.

Our Border Agents

Could Pick up the Slack

If deployed to OUR border

Instead of Iraq's.

sylvania
07-30-2007, 12:38 PM
What flyer are you using? Is it official HQ or something you created? If it is something you created, could you post it here? Maybe I could improve my approach. There is some prime farm land around here I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

Lesgov
07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
That's awesome quick, I think highway signs are the best kind of advertising we can get. I have always loved the "Burma Shave idea" and suggested it when this forum first started up.
This is one of the things I have been doing with my time (putting up signs). I have volunteered to go anywhere in this state to put up a sign. Our group had 100 signs donated (corrugated plastic). I'll post a couple near by ones on here. If you need some of these I'll see what I can do. Also you can probably get some from the campaign.
I use a sheet of half inch plywood and screw the sign to it with fender washers and one inch drywall screws.

That's an awesome project you're doing, Ron will get a lot of bang for your buck with that.

Lesgov
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Here's a couple I put up;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/NHboy/Ron%20Paul/IMAGE0027.JPG.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/NHboy/Ron%20Paul/IMAGE0030.JPG.jpg

ghemminger
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I see Home builders doing this all the time along freeways....They put a billboard on a trailer and park /pay a landowner to have it sit by the freeway.....let's but together a NAtional effort to get this accomplished...

Lesgov
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I use those big signs to get a little attention when I'm on a mission also.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/NHboy/Ron%20Paul/Lincoln2.jpg

Thor
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Dave and LesGov, those are great efforts and look awesome (I saw Dave's photos in another thread I think) I hope they get lots of eyeballs every day!

My question was really aimed at quickmike who started this thread about the farmers land on Rt 51.

michaelwise
07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice going Quickmike. My group is going to get things going in SW Florida this weekend