PDA

View Full Version : GREAT Advice to Students going to Iowa

tanverenzo
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
From http://www.dailypaul.com/node/6925

"Iowa will get more and more important in the coming days, so as someone born, raised, and registered to vote in Iowa, I’d like to take the chance to clear up some common mistakes/misconceptions made recently about Iowa, and give you my two-cents about the issues that would be the “best sells” when talking with Iowans:

[...]

In my opinion, here is some advice for what to “pitch” about Ron Paul to a typical Iowan:

MUST SELL:
• Married to the same woman for 50 years
• Served in the Military
• The ONLY candidate in either party who is a Medical Doctor
• Support of civil liberties
• Views that individuals should be self-RESPONSIBLE (Iowans love that “R” word)
• Opposed to tax (highlight his being consistently named the Taxpayer’s Best Friend)
• Support of the Constitution
• He has more donations from soldiers than any other candidate

FEEL THE WATERS FIRST, BUT LIKELY A GOOD SELL:
• Iraq war (especially highlight his consistency and principle in that he was one of 6 out of 221 house republicans to vote against the initial Iraq resolution)
• Securing the boarders (be a little cautious about no amnesty)
• Pro-life (of course, you can also note that he would not support criminalization of abortion at the federal level if the person is Pro-Choice)
• Pro-Gun
• His support of the free markets
• Monetary policy (I wouldn’t worry about this turning anyone off, as much as just boring them to death)

PROBABLY BEST AVOIDED
• Opposed to agriculture subsidies
• Opposed to Federal education assistance
• Opposed to supporting Israel
• Opposed to Death Penalty
• Anything on the lines of him allowing gay marriage
• Anything associated w/ the 911 Truthers
• Anything on the lines of “each man for himself”…Iowans are all about community helping each other out
• Anything that makes him sound like a radical libertarian…like decriminalizing drugs, prostitution, or dog fighting

I know a lot of the “best avoided” topics are an unfair depiction of Ron Paul’s stances, but fair or not, these would likely turn off Iowans, who are all-in-all ordinary, every-day kind of people.

Basically, sell him as a principled man who has lived a life of service and wants to return the federal government back to its constitutional roll. You can’t go wrong with that.

Just my two cents, do with it what you’d like."