PDA

View Full Version : RP Sign & Neighborhood Covenant

singapore_sling
12-18-2007, 06:25 PM
About a week ago I put a 2x2 Ron Paul sign in my yard. I live with my parents(im a high school) senior and we live in a gated neighborhood and we own, not lease, our property. Last night at the Homeowners Association my mom attended she said one or two people complained about my sign. Apparently our neighborhood "covenant" prohibits "signage". I'm just wondering if this will hold up in court and wha they can do. It sounds BS to me because you aren't leasing the land and if it were enforceable then they could restrict how you use your property forever. So what should I do?

ctb619
12-18-2007, 06:27 PM
what does the covenant say?

singapore_sling
12-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure exactly, I want to examine it. But my parents says it says "no signage". One of my neighbors has a sign that says their kid is in the high school band, so right now I have an argument that I don't have to do jack unless they apply it equally.

terryp
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I believe in Florida political signs are exempt, but they do have date limits for putting them up.

hugh8jass
12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
When you buy the property, you agree to the covenants.
They almost always stand up in court, unless they violate fundamental civil rights (covenants banning black people were enforced until the 50s-60s).
Ask the ACLU if you have a first amendment argument...otherwise your parents can be fined or foreclosed upon.
City ordinances against political signs are usually thrown out when challenged. Covenants have stronger legal footing because the buyer was put on notice and agreed.
The covenants do not apply to a sign just inside your window.