PDA

View Full Version : Bring Christmas to Iowa Orphans...

Suhail Syed
12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm a 24 year old med-student residing in Alpharetta, GA, and I donated on Sunday's tea party. An idea came to me as I was watching Tim Allen's old show Home Improvement, where the kids stole from a local orphanage. After the kids are forced by the parents to return what they stole and apologize, they're discussing what happened in their room and they see toys that they do not use. They bag together a bunch of toys and donate the toys to the orphans at the orphanage.

Why did I bring this up, well I was wondering if those of you campaigning in Iowa would like to put together something special for the orphans in Iowa or even see if the official Campaign of Ron Paul would be able to purchase toys, clothes, and a catering service for the orphanages in Iowa. We do not need federal authority to help those in our community who are in need. We have the freedom to act upon our own and help those in need. Although I'm a Muslim and I do not celebrate Christmas, I believe in Ron Paul and I also believe in the holiday spirit of giving. Those children residing in Iowa without a family would greatly benefit from Ron Paul. The media coverage of such an event would probably be non-existent I know... but let it not be said that we did nothing...

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.orphans.us.ia/mb.ashx?dc=50

Suhail Syed
12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
bump

Suhail Syed
12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
bump

ronpaulitician
12-18-2007, 08:50 PM
The media coverage of such an event would probably be non-existent I know
I don't think the orphans will care if there's media coverage or not, and the feelings that can overcome one when helping out another human being also don't depend on media coverage. Yes, it'd be nice if every one of our actions can aid Paul's campaign, but a lot of good can come from this even if no media records our actions.

Sey.Naci
12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and write some very personal things because your suggestion has hit some sore spots...

Suhail, I'm coordinator of a group and growing national movement in Canada of low-income women and their families. Our peer-support and self-help groups are growing in communities throughout Canada.

My associates and I could be described as persons in need. We don't appreciate such labeling. It suggests that 'need' (always defined in economic terms) is our single defining characteristic, as opposed to all the things that differentiate us from one another, as individuals, and as opposed to all the talents, skills and other human resources we have to offer.

People in our various communities have used our perceived need (many of us don't consider ourselves "needy" or "the less fortunate" or "the vulnerable") for their own purposes, including their own political purposes.

Given our experiences - and I've connections with low-income activists in the US too - I urge you and other RP supporters NOT to do what you propose. As individuals, yes, by all means. But don't associate your help with Ron Paul. The very people you want to help may well view that help cynically.

What does this have to do with helping orphans, as you suggested?

Well, I was an orphan. So were many of my associates and we speak from the lived experience.

If you want to help "orphans," then do so anonymously. Such a gesture will not go unremarked.

When I was 14 and living in a group home, an anonymous donor gave our group home a Christmas gift that left a lasting impression - I still remember it vividly after 43 years. It was a full night out at the most posh restaurant in Toronto (The Ports of Call), followed by a live performance of The Man from La Mancha, at Toronto's O'Keefe Centre. We kids - there were eight of us - were given an experience that none of us had had before and, I suspect, most if not all of us would not experience again in our lifetimes.

Apparently, this anonymous donor gave our group home the same gift each Christmas, so each new batch of kids got to have an experience of a lifetime. It still lifts my heart as I write this.

Suhail Syed
12-19-2007, 06:26 AM
chill out sey naci... i was just watching a tv show and it looked like a good idea... i'm not sorry for labeling orphans as kids in need because quite frankly, it simply means they need help! without assistance from society, they would be without food/shelter...

i commend you for your on going individual efforts in helping orphans but labeling all orphans and using this sort of group think that all help should be done anonymously is not right... if you believe in individual liberty then you should believe that not all kids would appreciate things the way you and your associates do... maybe some kids might not appreciate receiving a Christmas meal, toys, and clothes donations from Ron Paul supporters, but I find it hard to see many kids benefiting from an effort of this nature...