PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Computer Scientists?

Cardinal Red
12-18-2007, 04:33 PM
As an aspiring academic, I can't help but notice that the site Academics for Ron Paul seems to lack what I would exepct would be a large number of computer science professors who would endorse him.

http://www.academicsforpaul.com/

We all know that we are (among many other things) -- the campaign of the tech-savvy. If you know (or are) an cademic computer scientist not on this list who supports Ron Paul, email them and make sure they get their name on here.

The same, of course, goes for academics in other disciplines

Building this list of endorsers can only help the campaign.

european
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
and the ISPs :confused:
netneutrality is a big issue in my opinion, specially for ISPs

Oliver
12-18-2007, 04:45 PM
and the ISPs :confused:
netneutrality is a big issue in my opinion, specially for ISPs

No. Regulation means money for them.

Arek
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Wow nice to see an economics professor from Frostburg State University on there and all these professor's from Maryland Colleges and Universities.

austin356
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Computer Scientists generally are probably not reading Dr. Beito's blog in mass so I think that is the problem. The problem is not whether or not they endorse Paul it is getting in touch with them.

The Academics for Paul situation is like Iowa. You already have enough votes (in this case endorsements) to win. The challenge comes at identifying those supporters and getting them to the caucus (in this case getting them to the A4p page).

john_anderson_ii
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Not to pick nits, but I really wouldn't consider computer science an "academic" field. The very name "Computer Science" is misleading. It would be like calling an Engineer a Building Scientist.

"Computer Scientists" who are academic types are mathematicians and physicists, not programmers or software engineers.

I don't know how better to put so here goes.

Academics --> Applied Theory --> Practical Use

Physics --> Mechanical Engineering --> Architecture

Mathematics --> Computer Science --> Software Engineer

It's hard to explain, but I'll just say that the computer scientist isn't a scientist at all. He applies the theories the scientists (mathematicians) have developed.

There was a big article in Popular Science on it some time ago, I'll see if I can find it. Basically the nomenclature of my profession is all effed up.