PDA

View Full Version : CNN just covered Huckabee's response

Perry
12-18-2007, 03:52 PM
CNN just covered Huckabee's response on the situation room. There were two individuals there defending Huck and they did not play the video. :rolleyes:
Let's hope the political talk shows this afternoon pick up on the story. Anyone who denies that was a cross is lying to themselves.

Esor
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey, this could be great news. Ron Paul just needs to be humble about it and hopefully it will get some MSM coverage just like all the little fueds do.

Johncjackson
12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I have to admit I only saw it as a bookshelf, and I have no problem if it WAS meant to be a cross either. The thing I dislike more is Huck's blatant copying of Ron Paul.

misconstrued
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I saw the cross right away. The way they kept it framed throughout the camera move is no accident...

Perry
12-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I have to admit I only saw it as a bookshelf, and I have no problem if it WAS meant to be a cross either. The thing I dislike more is Huck's blatant copying of Ron Paul.

Just a guess but you are probably not a Christian. This is not meant to be offensive in any way. I just think that ad would look very different between a Christian & non-Christian.

philistineau
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
..it's backlit!!!

You don't backlight something if you don't want it to be prominent.

hueylong
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
For most candidates, every little detail of the visuals in a TV commercial is critical... Especially a commercial with nothing in it but the candidate talking to the camera.

It's a cross. Plain and simple. Any attempt to deny it is utterly disingenous.

Huey

RonPaulFTFW
12-18-2007, 04:22 PM
we need to get into these silly fights and then let RP shine through with some serious talk.

Richandler
12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
What are you guys talking about?

evadmurd
12-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Just a guess but you are probably not a Christian. This is not meant to be offensive in any way. I just think that ad would look very different between a Christian & non-Christian.

Then why are the Hucksters being so cryptic with their response? Why not say, "yeah, so what? He was talking about Christmas." I, too, wouldn't have a bit of a problem with that. They can't even agree about what it was and what it was supposed to look like.

slantedview
12-18-2007, 04:29 PM
From the yahoo article:

"Huckabee said the bookshelf is just a bookshelf and shrugged off the controversy: "I will confess this: If you play the spot backwards it says, 'Paul is dead. Paul is dead.'"

He was joking about the Beatles' recording of "The White Album" and the urban legend that if a portion of the album is played backwards, the words "Paul is dead" is heard, a reference to the very much alive Paul McCartney."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_po/huckabee_christmas_ad

RonPaulFTFW
12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Ron Pauls response was very intelligent and true.

we have been losing our country to christo-facists.

Perry
12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Then why are the Hucksters being so cryptic with their response? Why not say, "yeah, so what? He was talking about Christmas." I, too, wouldn't have a bit of a problem with that. They can't even agree about what it was and what it was supposed to look like.

Chris Matthews put it best just a few moments ago. "Huckabee is riding his Christian faith like Lawrence of Arabia rides a camel. He won't get off it."

The idea that a candidate is overtly "riding the cross into office" is rather disgusting even to most Christians. If done subliminally, however obvious, it has more tact and is more well received.

apropos
12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
From the yahoo article:

"Huckabee said the bookshelf is just a bookshelf and shrugged off the controversy: "I will confess this: If you play the spot backwards it says, 'Paul is dead. Paul is dead.'"

He was joking about the Beatles' recording of "The White Album" and the urban legend that if a portion of the album is played backwards, the words "Paul is dead" is heard, a reference to the very much alive Paul McCartney."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_po/huckabee_christmas_ad

I wonder if Huckabee has enough control of the English language to conjure up a double entendre like that. I'm not specifically trying to rip the guy - just curious.

Jimmy
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Looked to me like the room was rather dark....but the window frame was lighted and caught just right in the film....no way thats an accident if you ask me.

LibertyForAll
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
If anything, this will raise the awareness level in people about religion being a platform that is so abused by so many candidates. American people know this, Truth has a way of resonating deep down. I say that Ron Paul is swinging for the fences with this one. It Will get people to start talking and debating about religion and politics.

QuesoPantera
12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
This is ridiculous. I hope Ron makes a statement tonight condemning the media's insistance on turning this into some kind of theological tug-of-war. Can't they treat us like grown-ups and move past this nonsense?

ursamajor
12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
The cross was absolutely intentional. I am a Christian, and I do not think that Huckabee's ad was appropriate. Politicizing what 'Christmas is about' disgusts me. Ron Paul was addressing Huckabee's agenda in general. He is providing a political test for his/others' candidacy. that's article six, right?

jenninlouisiana
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I had no idea it wasn't supposed to be a cross. It's clearly a cross.

allyinoh
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM

I am a Christian and the first thing I saw was a cross.

I also remember someone from his campaign saying it was a window pane and now he's saying it's a bookshelf. Liars.

Like someone said in another thread. Nothing about that video was coincidental.

gaazn
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
i don't see anything wrong with the ad. but i do see everything wrong with huckabee's response. i have even less respect for huckabee. it reinforces that he is a saavy, dirty politician who has fooled everyone into thinking he is nice. i don't like the use of sublimal to describe the cross because it is so obvious and intentional that there is really no hidden message.

Sandra
12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Riding religion wiill be his downfall. I hope he keeps it up actually.

Chadd Murray
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I think this will just bolster his evangelical vote tbh... "Look at our man, getting attacked for being a christian"

gaazn
12-18-2007, 05:07 PM
even if you don't like romney, you gotta give paul props for defending romney against huckabee's smear campaign. first his people took out brownback for being catholic, now theyre taking out romney. huckabee's a dirty politician. be very afraid of him.

RadioDJforPaul
12-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Heres my problem. If you are going to have a cross...HAVE A CROSS. Be proud of your faith. Making that window payne out to be a cross, then denying the obvious, shows me that he is weak in his faith.