PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ron Paul different?

klamath
07-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I have been following politics for thirty years and have been on both the democrats and republican mailing lists. Needless to say I have seen a lot of campaign flyers. I can't trust what the campaigns, when they are saying everything I want to hear. I think a huge amount of other voters are feeling the same way I am.
I was reading through Paul’s campaign PDF posters and they sounded great but to disgruntled voters like me they aren't going to feel much is different about his position papers than the hundreds he or she has seen over the years.

So the hook has to be why they should believe Paul is honest. I am looking for good one liners that immediately sets him apart as far a believability.

Here are a few statements I got from an old Washington Post article about Paul that reinforces his integrity.

"Paul, 70, has earned the nickname Dr. No for his habit of voting against just about anything that he sees as government overreach or that interferes with the free market. No to the Iraq war. No to a federal ban on same-sex marriage. No to a congressional gold medal for Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan and Rosa Parks. He says the medals are an unconstitutional use of taxpayer money and once suggested each House member instead contribute 100 bucks from his or her own pocket."

"He's like a gyroscope," says Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii), who is allied with Paul in opposition to the Iraq war. "No matter what happens, boom , he comes back up and goes exactly where he wants to go."

"There have been periods in history when the maverick congressman was not such a rare breed, but this is not one of those periods. Democrats and Republicans have been quite disciplined in recent years -- when party leaders say "jump," the savvy congressman had better inquire how high.
This makes the presence of a politician like Ron Paul something of a refreshing peculiarity. He continually bucks the wishes of Republican leaders -- so much so, Paul recalls, that once while exhorting every other Republican to vote the party line, then-Speaker Newt Gingrich announced that Ron Paul was exempt."

"Paul is not always alone in his dissent, but more than anyone else in Congress, he is legendary for it. "When I'm the only no vote," says fiscal conservative Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), "I can usually rest assured he's on a plane somewhere.""

Paul, 70, has earned the nickname Dr. No for his habit of voting against just about anything that he sees as government overreach or that interferes with the free market. No to the Iraq war. No to a federal ban on same-sex marriage. No to a congressional gold medal for Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan and Rosa Parks. He says the medals are an unconstitutional use of taxpayer money and once suggested each House member instead contribute 100 bucks from his or her own pocket.

Noodles
07-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Very good point, and some wonderful examples.

Original_Intent
07-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah just point out that he is actually a 20 year congressman who has kept his word. It's like Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

Also point out that he is not running for his ego like these other guys - about the only way people can believe this is to see him talk about it on video.

Wyurm
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
his voting record and his many speeches back up his trustworthiness