PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Paul's statements about Huckabee's ad

Quick
12-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Am I the only one here who looks at Huckabee's ad and doesn't see a cross in the background, and just sees a window?

I have a feeling that Ron Paul didn't even see that ad, and when Fox News asked him about the cross in the background that he just assumed that they were telling the truth so he responded.

I think of Ron Paul saw the ad, and saw that it was a window, he wouldn't have said anything. I think this is going to backfire, and they are going to say that it wasn't a cross (because it wasn't).

I mean, I'm not even remotely close to any religion, let alone Christianity, but..

http://drudgereport.com/hca.jpg

is not the same as

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/227/jesusatthecrossyg4.gif

Mortikhi
12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Its a window that has been covered up in all the right spots to fashion a cross.

I guess you see a plus sign?

Ron Paul Fan
It's definitely supposed to be a cross. It's a subliminal message. Ron Paul was totally right in what he said. Huckabee is a monster who is trying to be the only Christian candidate. He is a fascist and deserves to be called out as one. Ron Paul was just speaking the truth like he always does.

Ozwest
Enough with the multiple Huckabee threads already!

Spike Kojima
12-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Cross or not ,what Ron said was relevant.

peznex
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
That Huckabee ad is #1 on Youtube people and blogs section and has over 225,000 views!

dirknb@hotmail.com
There's no way that was just a coincidence. Good marketing appeals to a sub-conscious level. That's exactly what is going on with that ad, make no mistake about it.

BerlinForFreedom
Paul's issue with Huckabee's Christmas ad: 'Fascism' will be 'carrying a cross' - USA Today

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2007/12/pauls-issue-wit.html

DealzOnWheelz
Dude it is definitely meant to be a cross

it's marketing 101 imply without direct acknowledgement

not to mention all hucks talk about CHrist in the ad it is subliminally linked

Quick
Its a window that has been covered up in all the right spots to fashion a cross.

I guess you see a plus sign?

It looks like a plus sign to me.

To claim that it is a cross or saying they intended it to be a cross by fancy camera angles, etc.. that is pure speculation in my opinion.

Paulitician
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I see a window too, and I don't think it should made a big deal of. However, I do think it was deliberate. I don't think it just "happened."

john_anderson_ii
I'm standing behind Ron on this one, no matter what happens. He was right to call out Huckabee for pimping faith in exchange for votes.

Ron2Win
Hahahaha, The guy in Fox News was the one to bring it up.
Not the other way around.

Todd
12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
It is panned slowly for a reason. Everything in the background of ads is critiqued over and over. The lighting of the pane is also very telling.

Menthol Patch
12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Ron Paul's statement was awesome.

LibertyEagle
12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't kid yourself. This was done on purpose.

MS0453
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

To claim that it is a cross or saying they intended it to be a cross by fancy camera angles, etc.. that is pure speculation in my opinion.

What then was the purpose behind rotating the camera during the video, to get the window pane into view? Just think of Ron's Christmas ad. The camera remains stationary. I'm sure that most ad's are like that (One's where a person is just sitting in front of a camera)

Thomas Paine
Other forums have noted the cross in Huckabee's ad including non-political forums like Volokh Conspiracy (a libertarian leaning legal forum).

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
It's definitely supposed to be a cross. It's a subliminal message. Ron Paul was totally right in what he said. Huckabee is a monster who is trying to be the only Christian candidate. He is a fascist and deserves to be called out as one. Ron Paul was just speaking the truth like he always does.

You are exactly right... it is a subliminal message... it is def supposed to look like a cross...

wgadget
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Cross or not ,what Ron said was relevant.

Thank God Huckabee is such a fascist!

Jimmy
Don't kid yourself. This was done on purpose.

+1

Anyone who doesn't think that was a complete set up is WAY off base IMO.

fletcher
It's more than this ad. No one can deny that Huckabee is trying to get the nomination by carrying a cross.

wgadget
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Other forums have noted the cross in Huckabee's ad including non-political forums like Volokh Conspiracy (a libertarian leaning legal forum).

As did Matt Drudge's Drudge Report, the place where the talking heads get their talking points.

Victrix
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Like others have said it is a subliminal message and it was relevant to comment on it.

And for those of us that have been waiting and begging for RP to start dropping sound bits and one-liners to the MSM well here it is done RP style lol!

I dont think it was intentional on his part but he needs to drop more lines like this dealing more with his issues

Sandra
12-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello! I've been in marketing for over 20 years. Yes, this is a very old trick - it is supposed to be a cross.

allyinoh
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
He also said after that quote that he doesn't know if that was his intentions. That seems to be getting left off.

N13
Nothing at this level happens by accident. Huckabee got called out.

This will be good for Dr. Paul because this issue is far from over. He will be asked questions and need to explain further the connection to fascism. I can't wait.

Tedhunter
Forget the cross - listen to what Huckaboo has been saying. He's positioning himself as the only Christian candidate, and using religion as a pillar for his platform. That is what Ron is calling him out on.

son of liberty
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree, It was a cross, and Ron said the right thing. You have to respect other people's intellegents at some point. They will understand what Ron was saying. There is an effect in Mass Media, where people think other people will fall for what they themselves will not fall for, even if that is not what happens in actuality.

We're fine.

son of liberty
12-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Read the wikipedia entry on propaganda....this is old stuff.

ashlux
12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a feeling that Ron Paul didn't even see that ad, and when Fox News asked him about the cross in the background that he just assumed that they were telling the truth so he responded.

If Ron Paul hadn't seen the ad (or couldn't see it while it was being shown on Fox News), he would have said he hasn't seen it.

dirka
12-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Cross or Not, all i know is

There are no accidents in adverstising.

peznex
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
From the wiki:
"Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that considers individual and social interests subordinate to the interests of the state or party. Fascists seek to forge a type of national unity, usually based on (but not limited to) ethnic, cultural, racial, and religious attributes."

BeFranklin
12-18-2007, 12:19 PM
There's no way that was just a coincidence. Good marketing appeals to a sub-conscious level. That's exactly what is going on with that ad, make no mistake about it.

And this is nothing like good marketing. If that was suppose to be a sub-liminal message, its totally disgusting, and should be exposed.

kotetu
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
subliminal messages are quite common in advertising.

peacemonger
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Top of Drudge? Holy Smokes!

spacebetween
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I just have to throw in a word.

Whether you think it's a cross or not has nothing to do with the intention of the creative person who created the ad.

There IS a message in that ad, and it includes something that resembles a cross.

I'm an advertising major, so just take my words with a grain of salt. I have no REAL experience, I guess, but the guys who teach me certainly do. And, if there's one important thing about an ad, it's the BIG PICTURE. That cross is apart of the "BIG PICTURE."

It's very intentional.

noztnac
12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
It is very, very clearly a cross. If you think that the background in a presidential ad is an accident you are being naive. Huckabee's people know what they are doing and they clearly are promoting him as the religious candidate. Ron Paul was 100% right to attack him in the way that he did.

BeFranklin
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
subliminal messages are quite common in advertising.

In this case, tying it with a Christian cross would be totally un-Christian, would turn a lot of people off on Huckabee, and would prove the quote about fascism. That would be a fascist thing to do.

Who was the ad agency that did this blasphemy?

rogelsm
12-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think he cared if it the cross was there or not, he wanted the fight. It is good, and free publicity. It is good campaigning to attack the front runner, mostly when they are fundamentalist as Huckabee

davidkachel
12-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Uh-uh. Any good photographer will tell you that there is not one square millimeter of a staged photograph that is a coincidence.

That "cross" is just exactly as intentional as Huckabee's presence.

As a photographer I can tell you that "cross" has its own light directed specifically at it and nothing else.

devil21
12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I also thought the three balls is a subtle "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" reference.

Fyretrohl
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
3 balls held up by the cross and the primary 'highlight' of the pin light. Gee, I am just a normal joe and that was my take when I saw the video. The pin light was the give away to me.

unklejman
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
What then was the purpose behind rotating the camera during the video, to get the window pane into view? Just think of Ron's Christmas ad. The camera remains stationary. I'm sure that most ad's are like that (One's where a person is just sitting in front of a camera)

I'm going to have to disagree with this point. Slowly trucking a camera while remaining on the subject is a common way to add dynamic to an otherwise boring shot. Something that RP would do good to use in his adds. It's a production value booster for sure.