PDA

View Full Version : Upsetting Experience with Radio Show

Erazmus
12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I guess it's not a surprise to anyone here that people get hung up on when you call up a radio show and mention Ron Paul's name. This is what happened to me. I'll post the letter I wrote to the show hosts below, it explains pretty much everything. The show involved is the Armstrong and Getty show. It is broadcast in the greater bay area stretching from San Francisco to Sacramento on the AM dial.

Armstrong and Getty,

I have been a long time listener to your radio program on 650AM. Often I sit in bumper to bumper traffic listening to your show during the morning drive. I have never actually called your radio show; I merely listened, until today. I always thought you gave everyone a fair shake. I know now, that this is not true.

This morning you guys were talking about Mike Huckabee and his Christmas video. This struck me as odd that you were talking about that, and I wondered if you also knew that Ron Paul also had a Christmas video that he released online. It was just something I thought of in passing. I wasn’t sure if you had talked about it, or knew that Ron’s video was out some time before Huckabee’s. In fact, it had struck me at that moment that Huckabee tends to do that a lot. Ron Paul’s campaign does something innovating, and a short while later, the Huckabee camp does the exact same thing. This holds true with Ron’s website design, his donation meter, the donation money “bomb” days, mentioning the Constitution, etc. I felt this was kind of funny and wanted to get your take on it. It seems when Ron does something, he gets largely ignored by media. Recently, if Huckabee does the same thing as Ron, the Huckabee camp gets plenty of media coverage and he gets credited for these novel campaign ideas, or at the very least gets exposure.

So I made the decision to call. I got through right away and was asked by a screener what I wanted to talk about. I specified that I wanted to speak about the Huckabee Christmas message, and how it’s funny that Huckabee seems to copy Ron’s every move. The screener interrupted me promptly and said, “Oh god, another Ron Paul comment…” and hung up on me.

This angered me greatly. I expect this kind of behavior from other talk radio shows, but I never expected this sort of treatment from your show. Your screeners are direct representatives of your show, as they speak with all the callers initially. As such, they represent you. I would have understood if I was told, “We’re not discussing any other candidates at this time,” or even, “Ron Paul will be addressed on a later show.” I wouldn’t have been happy, because my comment was directly related to the topic, but I would have understood why I didn’t get on their air to voice my opinion. It is your show, after all, and you can talk about whatever you want. My disappointment comes from the lack of respect and the unprofessional attitude that I experienced as one of your listeners by a member of your staff. Based on this experience, I have to reevaluate whether or not I will bother keeping your show on during my morning commute. I guess that final decision will depend greatly on your response, or lack of response to this letter.

I truly hope this was an isolated incident and that you will reprimand the screener involved. I would also like to think that you guys will hear everyone’s opinions on varying matters in the future. This was my first experience in calling your show, and it was not a good one.

Thank you for your time,
Travis

I kept the tone of the letter as civil as possible. In all honesty, I understand that it wasn't the hosts that did this, however, if callers are filtered in this way, how can we accept the idea that what actually broadcasts on air is honest discourse when other views are filtered out. I will see what the response is, if any. That will truly determine whether or not I'll be listening to the show from now on.

If you would like to reach the show's hosts, here is the email address.
armstrongandgetty@yahoo.com

wgadget
12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
And they fight so hard against the Fairness Doctrine. LOL.

Wingman
12-18-2007, 11:16 AM
More important -- talk about it in your workplace. What we want to do is to get people to WITHDRAW ADVERTISING from the radio network and also GIVE A REASON WHY. Your bosses will do that.

Everyone should call them again and register yuor complaint

pacelli
12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
And there you have it. Intentionally cutting and censoring Ron Paul comments-- this one was related directly to the topic of the show as an alternative view.

sparebulb
12-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately, I think that your run-of-the-mill neocon wannabe thinks that it is funny to marginalize RP supporters as freaks, liberals, ufo abductees, etc. They will act as if they were RP supporters the whole time if RP comes close to winning some of these races.

Also, I'm afraid that in the short term, the only change that will occur on the radio program in question will be that the screener will be ordered to hang up on RP callers without comment. I suppose we should be happy that he made an insulting RP comment before hanging up rather than just hanging up and leaving you wonder.

Janet0116
12-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Very nice letter, I hope you get a response.

pikerz
12-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately in cases like this, sometimes the most we can do is revoke viewership.

Writing letters is good, and often can generate results. But thats not always the case.

Worth trying tho.

peznex
12-18-2007, 11:29 AM
That is so horrible. I wish cell phones had recording devices in them. It would good audio to advertise the truth.

StrikerV
12-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Just dont listen to them anymore, get some good audio books... get sirius radio or something... or buy cds... hell learn a language while driving to work. lols

Mark
12-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I guess it's not a surprise to anyone here that people get hung up on when you call up a radio show and mention Ron Paul's name. This is what happened to me. I'll post the letter I wrote to the show hosts below, it explains pretty much everything. The show involved is the Armstrong and Getty show. It is broadcast in the greater bay area stretching from San Francisco to Sacramento on the AM dial.

I kept the tone of the letter as civil as possible. In all honesty, I understand that it wasn't the hosts that did this, however, if callers are filtered in this way, how can we accept the idea that what actually broadcasts on air is honest discourse when other views are filtered out. I will see what the response is, if any. That will truly determine whether or not I'll be listening to the show from now on.

Excellent Response!! Good Job!

Erazmus
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Just dont listen to them anymore, get some good audio books... get sirius radio or something... or buy cds... hell learn a language while driving to work. lols

I generally do. I usually listen to Economists Peter Schiff and Jim Puplava podcasts. However, I occasionally like to listen to political talk to hear varying perspectives. This morning took me off guard. Like I said, I didn't expect to be treated this way from this particular show.

Nyte
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Great letter. Keep us posted!

WilliamC
12-18-2007, 12:07 PM
I've gotten on several shows locally and only once was told by the screener that they weren't going to talk about Ron Paul today. I always stay polite, I don't try to lie about what I'm going to say, and if the host makes a valid point acknowledge it. I have also followed up some of my calls with emails. Does any of this make a difference? Well, it certainly can't hurt.

William C Colley

shadow26
12-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Contact the advertisers with a simple message: tell them you don't appreciate being censored by the show they sponsor. Ask them if they have heard about Ron Paul's phenomenal fund-raising records. That means RP supporters have money, and lots of it. If you would like those supporters to continue to spend that kind of money on YOUR product (s); then perhaps you shold let the show know that you are reciving negative feedback from RP supporters, and that you need to be a little more accomodating to your listeners.

Matt Collins
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
I am a producer at a major talk radio station.

Call back and give a different name and tell them you want to talk about the election and mudslinging or something vague and generic. Don't mention names and don't be specific (don't lie to them about your topic either though).

Then when the host gets to you go into your points VERY quickly.

Erazmus
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Got a response from one of the hosts, Joe Getty. Here is what he wrote me:

Travis:

I don't think I'll reprimand him. I think I'll kill him.

Vince was clearly in the wrong.

I (and Jack) are truly sorry for your treatment. Trust me when I say we will continue to work on this issue with the seriousness it deserves. I would have liked to have talked to you.

Thanks for writing and for listening,

JG for A & G

I am fairly pleased with this response. This sounds like what I would expect from these two hosts. I don't know if anything will actually be done about it, but at least now I know that they are aware of the situation. The next time they have some political talk, I'll try and call again and see what happens.

I just wanted to keep you all up to date on the issue. :)

daikonv
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
nice update :)

Hackked
12-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Were you really surprised though? Remember, we are NOT gonna be getting much help from the MSM - either directly or indirectly. This is grassroots baby. Word of mouth is our "major news outlet". Period.

Erazmus
12-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Were you really surprised though? Remember, we are NOT gonna be getting much help from the MSM - either directly or indirectly. This is grassroots baby. Word of mouth is our "major news outlet". Period.

The thing is, we can't always say, "I expected this," and give up. The media can be an ally if we treat them properly and with some respect. For all I know, the screener had a beef with Ron, and the hosts knew nothing about it because no one took the time to write the hosts and let them know. I don't know if that was the case or not, but at least now I have confirmation that the hosts know and have said they will handle the issue. I don't know if they will, I just now know they are aware of the situation.

I will continue to do everything I can to help the campaign in any way I can. This is one of the things I felt I could do to help. We will see if it made a difference the next time I call.

XelR8r
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I just sent Joe and Jack an email...

I suggest you do the same.