PDA

View Full Version : Does Ron Paul have a degree in economics.

Goeran
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I know that RP studied medicin but he has studied austrian economics as well. Did he get an official degree for this (from the Mises-Institute?) or did he study economics privately?

Need a quick answer.

Thanks!

slantedview
12-18-2007, 10:36 AM
check his wikipedia page and see if you can find something, with a source

DrNoZone
12-18-2007, 10:37 AM
No, but he may as well have. I'm surprised he hasn't been given an honorary degree. He's been studying Austrian economics for 30 years.

murrayrothbard
12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
No. And the Mises Institute does not grant degrees. But who cares? Does having a piece of paper mean you know anything about what you are talking about? No, not necessarily.

Goeran
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
check his wikipedia page and see if you can find something, with a source

I checked it already but only found this:
"Paul adheres deeply to Austrian school economics and libertarian criticism of fractional-reserve banking, opposing fiat increases to money in circulation;[38] he has authored six books on the subjects, and has pictures of classical liberal economists Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and Ludwig von Mises hanging on his office wall."

kylejack
12-18-2007, 10:42 AM
No.

fortilite
12-18-2007, 10:42 AM
He got into economics AFTER medicine, he said he was interested because he noticed inflation in the industry.

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
No degree -- then again, people WITH degrees are among those responsible for our current state of affairs.

Goeran
12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
No. And the Mises Institute does not grant degrees. But who cares? Does having a piece of paper mean you know anything about what you are talking about? No, not necessarily.

Of course not - I know that RP is competent! I need to know anyway.

hard@work
12-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Ron Paul is so well read it makes my brain hurt. And I read a lot ...

manny
12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
AFAIK he has no formal qualifications in economics.

However he has authored several books on the subject. He has campaigned in Congress on a variety of economic issues. According to wikipedia:

On the House Banking Committee, Paul blamed the Federal Reserve for inflation,[34] and spoke against banking deregulation that allowed for the 1980s savings and loan crisis.[12] The U.S. Gold Commission created by Congress in 1982 was his and Jesse Helms's idea, and Paul's conclusions from the commission were published by the Cato Institute as a book, The Case for Gold;[31] it is now available from the Mises Institute, to which Paul is a distinguished counselor.

He serves on the Committee on Financial Services (as Ranking Member of the Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade and Technology subcommittee, and Vice-Chair of the Oversight and Investigations subcommittee) and the Joint Economic Committee.

As we've seen on youtube he has had many debates with Greenspan and his replacement. His articles on economics are widely read.

The current military-industrial elite would love to have people believe that Ron's ideas are "crazy" etc. But I would have no hesitation in labelling him an expert in the field, even if a self-taught one. He has been proven right on a wide range of economic issues and is the only individual I've seen to repeatedly bring up the monetary system in presidential debates. I would guess he's the only one who could talk at any real length about Murray Rothbard's theories. (Though Mitt could always ask his attorneys;))