PDA

View Full Version : Human Genetic Engineering Poll!

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Advances in science are opening some pretty amazing possibilities for humans to begin directing their own evolution. Genes that cause specific diseases are being discovered at a prodigous rate. It seems likely that more discoveries will be made about how our genes guide our development and nature.

Already the technology exists to perform germ-line engineering to insert selected genes into human reproductive cells. This in effect makes a change in the offspring, that the offspring can then pass on to their own offspring. Genetic tinkering that becomes a permanent modification down through the generations.

Among other things one result of this technology is a vast reduction in the number of children being born with Down syndrome. Pre-natal tests are available that can detect the disorder, and abortion of the down syndrome child is often the result.

Some scientists are championing this technology as a way to prevent diseases. Other scientists are calling for full exploration of this new technology to "improve" humans, make them smarter, better looking, etc. Some religious fundamentalists have even talked hopefully of someday being able to make sure they don't produce homosexual offspring.

How do ronpaulians feel about this technology? Let's find out! Take this poll, leave your comments. Tell everyone how you feel!

kushaze
12-18-2007, 12:06 AM
It would be like that Ethan Hawke movie Gattaca. If people started to do this I would be really pissed off.

Hope
12-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Voluntary eugenics is awesome.

Mandatory eugenics is awful.

MooCowzRock
12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
It would be like that Ethan Hawke movie Gattaca. If people started to do this I would be really pissed off.

fucking awesome movie!

James R
12-18-2007, 12:17 AM
You are missing my own opinion in the poll. Human adults should be allowed to test themself and modify their own DNA at will, should that technology become possible. They should be allowed to use their own body in a DNA engineering test if that is what they want to do with their own body. As for modifying offspring, I'm highly opposed, because its interfering with the life of another human being.

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 12:26 AM
You are missing my own opinion in the poll. Human adults should be allowed to test themself and modify their own DNA at will, should that technology become possible. They should be allowed to use their own body in a DNA engineering test if that is what they want to do with their own body. As for modifying offspring, I'm highly opposed, because its interfering with the life of another human being.

That's a good point. The opportunities for modifying the DNA of an adult are currently more limited, but there have been some applications. Bone marrow transplants are in a sense a kind of genetic engineering on adults, since foreign DNA in the marrow is being introduced into an adult to restore a lost function.

It's not currently possible to make gene changes on an adult that will propagate to all the cells of the body, something that is possible with germ-line engineering.

So you reject using this technology on offspring, even if it was being used to prevent a devastating genetic abnormality that caused disease?

Hope
12-18-2007, 12:31 AM

Oh really? So parents shouldn't be able to decide whether their children get vaccinations or anything of that sort? I can see it now. The doctor asks five year old Timmy, "Do you want to get a shot that will make sure you don't sick and don't make other children sick?" Timmy replies, "NOOOOOOO! No shots!" Doctor says, "Huh. That's what they all say." And then everyone dies of smallpox. :D

It's ridiculous to say parents shouldn't have the right to make these kinds of decisions concerning their children.

Hope
12-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh, and much of eugenics doesn't require genetic manipulation. Just selective breeding could do wonders for the human race in as little as a century.

Maverick
12-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Dude, if people want to make their kids into freaky little Children of the Corn mutants, why is that my business? :cool:

Hope
12-18-2007, 12:40 AM
For what it's worth, I'll be using eugenics if the technology is available to me when I have children in ten years or so.

RockEnds
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
The thought of genetic engineering makes me think of the lady in the Chiffon commercials, "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!"

For the young folks who have no clue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8

(I only buy butter!)

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 12:48 AM
China is currently operating a state mandated eugenics program. They require genetic screening for parents and pre-natal testing and can dictate abortions and sterilizations.

LibertyRevolution
12-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I’m all for using technology to speed up evolution to make better humans. I wonder why so many people can be against something like that.

apc3161
12-18-2007, 12:56 AM
That's a good point. The opportunities for modifying the DNA of an adult are currently more limited, but there have been some applications. Bone marrow transplants are in a sense a kind of genetic engineering on adults, since foreign DNA in the marrow is being introduced into an adult to restore a lost function.

It's not currently possible to make gene changes on an adult that will propagate to all the cells of the body, something that is possible with germ-line engineering.

So you reject using this technology on offspring, even if it was being used to prevent a devastating genetic abnormality that caused disease?

I agree with this.

One other thing I would like to mention. Regardless of how smart a lot of these scientists are, no one knows what the long run consequence of tampering with DNA could be. Natural selection works pretty well I think. But just think about for a second, how extreme the consequences could be of modifying the DNA of generation after generation after generation. Eventually I would imagine there would be some terrible unexpected consequences.

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 01:02 AM
I agree with this.

One other thing I would like to mention. Regardless of how smart a lot of these scientists are, no one knows what the long run consequence of tampering with DNA could be. Natural selection works pretty well I think. But just think about for a second, how extreme the consequences could be of modifying the DNA of generation after generation after generation. Eventually I would imagine there would be some terrible unexpected consequences.

True, but the exact same thing can happen right now by chance mutation.

newmedia4ron
12-18-2007, 01:19 AM
this is a tough one but you didn't offer "leave it to the states to decide"
No way do I think the federal government should be involved.

Its going to be scary when they start making supersoldiers. look at this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWT-fuUyEY

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
This poll needs more votes and opinions! Come on people, share your opinion on what may be the most significant technological revolution since the invention of the wheel!

apc3161
12-18-2007, 11:59 PM
True, but the exact same thing can happen right now by chance mutation.

This is true, but if its by chance, then any mutations that are unfavorable won't be passed on generation after generation. If they are inconsequential, then its random as to whether or not a trait gets passed on.

But if we make an active effort to pass on certain traits, only god knows what the long term consequences will be.

This reminds me of Yellowstone Park. A few decades back they said, "hey, this is tourist attraction, it would be a great idea if we got rid of all the predators so people can enjoy the park more and not be scared." This completely ruined the entire ecosystem of the park. They had to spend many years re-introducing wolves, bears, et cetera and now the park is finally starting to go back to normal.

I know its not entirely relevant, but its just a classic example of only looking skin deep. The label might be nice, but who knows what the long term consequences of taking such medicine might be.

hard@work
12-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Further research is needed.

SeanEdwards
12-19-2007, 01:58 AM
This is true, but if its by chance, then any mutations that are unfavorable won't be passed on generation after generation. If they are inconsequential, then its random as to whether or not a trait gets passed on.

Sadly, you're quite wrong on this point. There's a whole raft of genetic disorders that run in families. Not every genetic disorder is an instant death sentence. Some of them cause heart trouble, or mental illness, or certain types of cancer, or alzheimers, etc. etc.

But if we make an active effort to pass on certain traits, only god knows what the long term consequences will be.

Maybe we'll pass one on that confers immunity to cancer.