PDA

View Full Version : Sign Wave at Walmart Legal???

nevildev
12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Is it legal to have a sign wave in a Walmart parking lot? There's TONS of people coming in and out of there and would seem like a great place to be holding Ron Paul signs and handing out slim jims to people who were interested.

Anyone?

Evan

Man from La Mancha
12-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Only if the owner allows it because it is private property.

McDermit
12-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Depends on whether they ask you to leave or not. If they do, I wouldn't fight it, regardless of precedent. It would reflect poorly. Respect private property rights.

Maverick
12-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Yep, you're free to do it until they kick you off :p

nevildev
12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok I will contact the manager tomorrow and see what they say. The idea popped up because a Lebanon, NH crew did a sign wave in a Kohl's parking lot last weekend. Over in Plymouth, NH the largest concentration of people is by far at Walmart. Otherwise it's open country.

rfbz
12-17-2007, 11:52 PM
hey if the Union folks can stand out there with signs why can't we?

Knightskye
12-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, you'd ask permission if you were selling cookies, but you're not selling anything, you're giving information. As long as the customers don't mind, I don't think it should be a problem.

McDermit
12-17-2007, 11:53 PM
fwiw, we've done sign wavings outside of a kmart without trouble. we also meet in random lots to distribute materials. never had a problem.

we stay on the outskirts of the lots though, out of people's way. at kmart, we've visible from the store exits and the highway... and we're about 200 ft back from the exit/entrance lanes. we have signs they say "questions? ask us!" and "free pens and bumper stickers!!" so we get a bunch of people stopping to get info and free goodies as they're coming and going.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-17-2007, 11:53 PM
I am not a lawyer but I would think that it would illegal unless you had the consent of the store manager or wal-mart corporate headquarters. Good luck with that because Wal-Mart would not even let me place a standard sized campaign like yard sign advertising my auction on the day of the sale at the very corner of their property. I am sure they have a vested interest in keeping RP out of office.

You could always go across the street though, nothing wrong with that unless it is another private business.

nevildev
12-17-2007, 11:55 PM
NH - Live Free or Die! haha well, will discuss it with the Walmart manager, meetup members, and then figure out what to do.

NewEnd
12-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Its not illegal. You have the right to do political stuff on common public ground.... but really, a court battle is not worth it.

It is way better to get consent first.

westmich4paul
12-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Coming from someone who has retail management expierience I will tell you it is illegal unless you get permission from the store manager. Will the call the police? Usually not unless ya ignore their requests to vacate or you harass customers or create a scene in any way. Good luck on getting the store managers permission though usually corporate direction is not to allow this. And to the person posting about the union people they absolutley cannot strike picket on company property. They may do it on public property in front of the store or business but not on the property and if they are they are violating the law as well.

NewEnd
12-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Coming from someone who has retail management expierience I will tell you it is illegal unless you get permission from the store manager. Will the call the police? Usually not unless ya ignore their requests to vacate or you harass customers or create a scene in any way. Good luck on getting the store managers permission though usually corporate direction is not to allow this. And to the person posting about the union people they absolutley cannot strike picket on company property. They may do it on public property in front of the store or business but not on the property and if they are they are violating the law as well.

Not in Washington State it ain't. Coming from someone with experience in political activism.

steve005
12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
do it by the street right by the entrance, but dont go into the street or block traffic, if you do that they cant tell you to leave

fortilite
12-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Sign wave until you are asked to stop. Don't ask permission first, because it makes it easy for them to say no. Once they say no you will be trespassing if you do it anyways.

fortilite
12-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Its not illegal. You have the right to do political stuff on common public ground.... but really, a court battle is not worth it.

It is way better to get consent first.

No way. You don't have the right to do what you want on private property. That being said, it isn't trespassing until they ask you to leave. Once you are asked to leave, you just leave to another big box store and do it until they ask you to leave too. No big deal.

Don't get consent first, then they will tell you no.

literatim
12-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Why not get permission and hand out literature outside the Walmart entrance way?

fortilite
12-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Why not get permission and hand out literature outside the Walmart entrance way?

Cause they wouldn't give you permission, they don't want to get involved in something as divisive as politics. And then you would officially have been given notice not to do it. You don't have to leave until you are asked.

McDermit
12-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Cause they wouldn't give you permission, they don't want to get involved in something as divisive as politics. And then you would officially have been given notice not to do it. You don't have to leave until you are asked.

precisely.

for something like this, it's easier to apologize later. just don't be confrontational if asked to leave. apologize, then leave. go to another store and repeat.

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Please respect private property rights, always ask before you do something. Remember: if you never ask, the answer is always no.

Duckman
12-18-2007, 01:07 AM
I agree with "do it, but move on if asked to leave." YES, private property rights should be respected, but I think there is a gap between someone giving you permission and someone bothering to chase you off.

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Look at it this way; do you commit a crime with the act itself, or when you get caught? The same goes with property rights, they probably won't mind if you just show up, but you really aren't 'respecting' their rights by doing it without seeking permission.

Birdlady
12-18-2007, 01:11 AM
I used to work at Kohl's and around this time of year the managers couldn't care less what is going on outside. They have too much going on inside with shoplifters, stupid customers, and keeping the place in order. Unless the group was being disruptive, blocking traffic or forcing people to take information, most customers wouldn't even think to tell a manager about a small gathering outside. I don't see it being a big deal at a Kohl's. Now I wouldn't stand in their entrance way because that's a big no no imo. Standing in their parking lot is close enough.

Now wal-mart on the other hand are crazy. They most likely will call the cops if you are handing out anything. Walmart gets hit with a lot of protesters so they are always on the look out for this.

McDermit
12-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Please respect private property rights, always ask before you do something. Remember: if you never ask, the answer is always no.

Following that logic, we shouldn't call anyone in their homes or do door to door canvassing, since we can't first get permission.

NewEnd
12-18-2007, 01:14 AM
No way. You don't have the right to do what you want on private property. That being said, it isn't trespassing until they ask you to leave. Once you are asked to leave, you just leave to another big box store and do it until they ask you to leave too. No big deal.

Don't get consent first, then they will tell you no.

Its not considered the same type of private property as a house, because the public is openly allowed access to the store. Believe me... its legal.

We were advised, if they tell you to leave, leave, and let the lawyers decide if they want to take them to court, but definitely do not make a scene.

And we got consent first anyways, guess what I have always been told?

YES

until someone complains, and nobody has ever complained. I have had people argue with me, but never have they gone to the store manager and complained.

theantirobot
12-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Remember those videos where people went inside of a store and moved in slow motion?

I'm seeing the something similar, except out of the blue, a parade of people holding signs for Ron Paul goes down the aisle. They circle inside of the store once, and then leave. Total silence. Everyone shopping, is like wtf? Make it happen twice in the same day. Leave an impression on the employees and the shoppers.

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Following that logic, we shouldn't call anyone in their homes or do door to door canvassing, since we can't first get permission.

Not sure where you're going with the phone point, but going door to door is a little bit different. A more appropriate comparison would be if you stood out near their mailbox without asking. Either way, it's not a huge issue. I just feel you'll get a little further seeking permission first.

McDermit
12-18-2007, 01:23 AM
If you're at a place like Wal-Mart, asking permission will get you a "no." Guaranteed.

If one insists on campaigning in a walmart lot, asking permission will be more likely to get him nowhere. And if he campaigns there after being told no but management, then the manager likely won't give him the courtesy of sending a security person out first - they'll just call the cops. Whereas, if you let them assume that you just don't know any better, they're more likely to let it slide or at worst, send a rent a cop out to chase you.

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 01:31 AM
I understand your logic, McDermit. However, if Wal-Mart isn't receptive or kicks you out, you'll just end up going somewhere else. Might as well ask around, it doesn't hurt.

NewEnd
12-18-2007, 02:05 AM
If you're at a place like Wal-Mart, asking permission will get you a "no." Guaranteed.

If one insists on campaigning in a walmart lot, asking permission will be more likely to get him nowhere. And if he campaigns there after being told no but management, then the manager likely won't give him the courtesy of sending a security person out first - they'll just call the cops. Whereas, if you let them assume that you just don't know any better, they're more likely to let it slide or at worst, send a rent a cop out to chase you.

I have doen it at Fred Meyer (as big as wal mart), Safeway, and rite-Aid. NEVER been told no. NOT even close.

Quit making people scared to ask. If you have never done it.....