PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service?

Joseph Hart
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Does Ron Paul want to rid of the monopolizing Postal Service or certain aspects? My naive "step-father" look it up and read somewhere he wanted to rid of it. Yet I look it up and find Ron Paul voted to raise the cost of stamps every time. Ummm? Please some explain!

Enzo
12-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't know.. but I can envision a really cool YouTube video of the Ron Paul Blimp flying around with the song "Such Great Heights" by Postal Service playing :)

Corydoras
12-18-2007, 03:06 AM
First, the Postal Service is in the Constitution, so Ron Paul definitely doesn't want to get rid of it.

Second, I can understand him wanting to raise the price of stamps so that the USPS can fund itself without any government subsidies. He believes the USPS is an example of how inefficient government can be.

Third, he believes in the free market, so that the USPS should not have a monopoly on first-class non-express letters the way it currently does. Another plus is that competition could force the USPS to become more efficient.

terryhamel
12-18-2007, 06:21 AM
On the Tonight Show starring Jay Leno, Ron Paul stated he would legalize competition to the US Post office.

voytechs
12-18-2007, 06:29 AM
He wouldn't get rid of it, he would just de-regulate it and let other compete with it.

bernhtp
12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
He wants to eliminate the monopoly the Postal Services has on delivering first-class mail so that others can compete.