PDA

View Full Version : Before you supported RP, did you support someone else?

Patrick_Henry
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
As a previous Obama supporter, I was just curious where everyone came from.

Try to keep the responses to:

Yes, candidate-name

or

no, I was undecided

RonPaulFever
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I've never supported any candidate for any office before Ron Paul, period.

fortilite
12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, I'll admit it. I was kind of for Guiliani.

TheIndependent
No, none, nobody. I've been following Paul's congressional service for YEARS.

TheDHC
previous obama supporter

ron paul's non interventionist foreign policy was extremely attractive to me

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
No. I'm not a flip flopper like Mitt Romney. I've been for Ron Paul and for Ron Paul ONLY!

ZenX
Yes.
Nader, then I wished McCain would run (hah), then Paul.

transistor
none.

Alabama Supporter
I liked Obama and Newt.

thechitowncubs
12-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Obama first(oh change, nice)... enough of that. Then when i first saw Romney (he looks like a president, nice)... enough of that.

Then about a week later i found Ron Paul and have been in a sort of trance-love state ever sense.

BTW- this was all before i became interested in politics

gagnonstudio
I was kind of an Obama supporter, but didn't plan to caucus or donate to him.

Now I've donated, registered republican, and will caucus in Maine for Ron Paul.

thuja
totally apolitical before RP

thePhilosopher
No, undecided B.P. ("before Paul").:D

piotr1
12-17-2007, 09:43 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

pooflinger1488
I supported Mike Gravel before I knew how important it was for a fiscal conservative to get elected. I was watching a video of Gravel on youtube and saw a comment that said Ron Paul/Mike Gravel 2008!! I researched him since I never heard of him and was instantly hooked!! Goes to show that those comments that people post everywhere actually do work!

DahuiHeeNalu
I have been Ron Paul from the get go but also was eying Mike Gravel...

VRP08
People, I'm from germany living in the US and I can't even vote! I have never supported anyone in politics before, ever! When RP came along, it was THE ONE I've been praying for!

Fields
Nope. Undecided. Though I did think Gingrich might be a thought since he's an idea man.

Prez4TheNet
Believe it or not, I really liked Huckabee and he was my second choice because he sounded like Ron Paul alot in the first few debates....but then his true colors were revealed and I don't have a second choice no more. So its either Ron Paul or nothing for me now.

Driftar
Sorta Obama, but only because I was sick of War- and it seemed like a way to sorta go against the MSM establishment. But yeah Dr. Paul changed all that and gave me someone i can agree with 75%+ of the time, and whom i can respect and admire as a hero.

BLS
12-17-2007, 09:44 PM
No...I f'ing HATE politicians.

I couldn't possibly list everything I've done for RP since May when I watched my first youtube of him speaking truth.

Since then....well...I'm a different man.

Melissa
12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
i was looking at Biden but once I found Dr. Paul it was love at first site

TheWhiteRider
12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Mike Gravel

and I was pretty interested in his campaign too, but when he was still nowhere in November and I see Ron Paul's campaign taking off and having similar views.

cicatrice
12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
I was also undecided but a registered Democrat--now I've joined the Revolution.

RevolutionSD
12-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Nope, wouldn't have done a damn thing in this election if Ron didn't run!

In 04 I supported Michael Badnarik.
I actually started a meetup group in my area.
There were only 4 of us. And one was my wife who was just along for the ride. And another was a high school reporter doing a story. So there were really just TWO people.

The Ron Paul Revolution has blown my mind!

Ibtz
12-17-2007, 09:48 PM
I was a Duncan Hunter supporter.

Go ahead...I deserve it.

TwiLeXia
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
my parents are democrats, and i personally didn't care that much about politics though I would vote for the democratic candidate. after i found paul, i wasn't hooked instantly, but slowly and steadily, after watching his videos i realized that i believed everything he had to say.

alieas007
12-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I supported no one, until Dr. Paul.

Revolutn
Definately not this cycle.

Previously I had supported Harry Brown as the Libertarian on principle, and Ross Perot in 92.

Otherwise I've generally been a R or abstained.

in 04 I was so disgusted with skull & cross bones member Kerry vs skull & crossbones incumbent Bush that I just couldn't vote period.

Were it not for Dr. Paul's run I would likely be sitting this cycle out AGAIN since every other candidate is NWO CFR NAU scum.

Everyday I think of how lucky I am , and we all are that Dr. Paul agreed to run.

Rev

Ron2Win

I sympathized with some before. But not this. Never this.

N13
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
None, they were all equally bad, clueless to the real problems we are facing as a nation.

Kotin
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
i was for joe biden.

justatrey
12-17-2007, 09:52 PM
2000 - Ralph Nader
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama

tnvoter
12-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I was looking into Fred Thompson and switched to being a Paul supporter almost right after hearing Paul speak for the first time.

PatriotOne
12-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I was briefly sold on Kucinich after watching a very powerful speech by him talking about corruption, etc., in the U.S. Government. I didn't care what the rest of his goals were because I figured it would take him AT LEAST 4 years to straghten that mess out. I was impressed knowing he was sticking his neck out. But since Alex Jones was pimping RP so hard, I decided I better check him out also. I saw they were both principled men but I fell in line with nearly all of RP's positions so I switched immediately. Not a single regret.

AFM
12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I liked Biden.

steve005
please consider my idea
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=58534

Patriot2572
I liked Nadar, but nothing like the love i have for RP. He is truly our only hope.

anewvoice
12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Ron Paul from Texas (before I knew he was running).

hypnagogue
12-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I've never really supported a politician before. I voted against Bush both times because the dude at first seemed to be an idiot, and then the second time around, proved tragically to be an idiot. I figured Gore or Kerry would be "ok."

I voted for third parties on the rest of the ballot just to buck the system. ;p

shadowhooch
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I was leaning to McCain but was very open. After I watched the NH debate back in June, I found Ron Paul and now, I couldn't stomach supporting anyone else.

McCain is about the last person I'd support now. Amazing how things change when you really get educated about policies and history. Not to mention that Ron Paul is the most consistent and sincere person I have ever seen. Ron Paul for life!

Luft97
12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I had been looking at Fred Thompson but that was before I knew anything about Ron Paul.

weagle
12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
This thread is the exact reason I am a Paul supporter today. The Old Media were really pushing Rudy and Mitt and there was no way I was going to vote for either of them so I jumped on the "well maybe Thompson will be better" bandwagon. So while I was waiting for him to jump in I started doing some research on-line. Now I was pro-Iraq war, yada, yada, yada. I started watching that kook candidate Ron Paul and some where along the line it clicked, they dont hate us because we are free. I had swallowed that line since Bush spewed it. I figured out what those liberal hippies have been saying all along, they hate us because we keep messin with them. It was all down hill after that! I read the constitution and started evaluating all of my positions that I held for the first 30 years of my life and realized that what I was being fed was not what the founding fathers had imagined. Ron Paul is an easy choice now and not at all a kook. Unfortunately my parents now think I'm a liberal hippie. :) Big tent my friends, big tent.

AWF
12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Paul's the only one I've been supporting this campaign.

hard@work
12-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I was sadly and disgustingly eyeing the dem candidate field for hope that one of them would stop this effing madness that has become the GOP. Now, I know we can stop the madness that is the one party system.

I'm much happier than when I was lost and confused due to a system that stopped caring about people one hundred years ago.

RevolutionSD
12-17-2007, 10:02 PM
This thread is the exact reason I am a Paul supporter today. The Old Media were really pushing Rudy and Mitt and there was no way I was going to vote for either of them so I jumped on the "well maybe Thompson will be better" bandwagon. So while I was waiting for him to jump in I started doing some research on-line. Now I was pro-Iraq war, yada, yada, yada. I started watching that kook candidate Ron Paul and some where along the line it clicked, they dont hate us because we are free. I had swallowed that line since Bush spewed it. I figured out what those liberal hippies have been saying all along, they hate us because we keep messin with them. It was all down hill after that! I read the constitution and started evaluating all of my positions that I held for the first 30 years of my life and realized that what I was being fed was not what the founding fathers had imagined. Ron Paul is an easy choice now and not at all a kook. Unfortunately my parents now think I'm a liberal hippie. :) Big tent my friends, big tent.

Wow! That's really interesting. Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

c0unterph0bia
12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
obama

peacemonger
12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
I was watching Fred Thompson and Ron Paul until the Debate back in May. Ron Paul took some getting used to.

I had been somewhat supportive of the War in the beginning when I thought we would find the Anthrax factories and Nukes, win the war quickly and then leave. When it became clear that my position was wrong, I was still stuck on stupid for a while. At first when I heard Ron Paul I thought he was CRAZY, but after a few days of thinking about it, it all started to sink in and I was hooked.

At first I was waiting for Fred to announce his candidacy. He talked about Federalism which I thought was pretty cool. But I think Ron Paul's Constitutional Republicanism is way better. The message of Freedom, Prosperity, and Peace is fantastic.

God, Forgive me for my ignorance.:o

Bertrand
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Romney leaner, possible Tancredo supporter. I really had trouble liking any of the candidates. I supported the war and that was my biggest problem with Paul but his fiscal positions were so attractive to me... Anyways, after a 2 month transformation I went from neo-con sympathizer to full-blown Ron Paul Republican. And I haven't been the same since then.

olehounddog
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I was looking into Fred Thompson and switched to being a Paul supporter almost right after hearing Paul speak for the first time.

Me too. I sure glad he skipped that debate.

robertwerden
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Kucinich

rfbz
12-17-2007, 10:12 PM
no, there wasn't really one candidate I liked. I lean republican so I never even considered the democratic candidates (Im against a welfare state, socialized medicine, handouts that are counterproductive and keep people dependent upon government..etc). I have never really been too anti-war though I admit. I wasn't a Bush apologist, but I did see the middle east as a huge problem brewing and thought maybe we could make a difference there in a positive way. But now I just don't think that's possible, and there are too many unintended consequences to everything we do militarily.

stewie3128
12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
I was for Giuliani - I was actually for Giuliani from 2003 until after the 2006 mid-term elections.

koob
12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
very early on I was leaning toward McCain, but then I found out about Dr Paul!

Seanmc30
12-17-2007, 10:19 PM

This is understandable to me....My family and I all said the same thing when we found out he might run, but now I seem to be the only one to change my mind. I keep trying to get them to just read the constitution a little, then tell me Giuliani is still a good candidate!

He has real hero draw, but fortunately that train of "9/11's" only lasted for so long, now we are seeing his real record.

RSLudlum
12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
not really. but i did like Gravel's fire in the belly attitude. Always seemed like he was pissed, and given my feelings about the country the past few years, i felt some connection with it.

Satyricon
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Not in this election cycle.

I supported Badnarik in 2004.

jesshwarren
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Paul from the start 3 mo ago

VRP08
12-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I was for Giuliani - I was actually for Giuliani from 2003 until after the 2006 mid-term elections.

If EX Giuliani supporters switched to RP, there is HOPE!! LOL

RP=RonPaul=RedPill
12-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I decided to see who was running for POTUS back in April. I saw a video of Obama and I said, "Wow, change!". Then I looked at the comments to see what others were saying. One particular comment was about Ron Paul. I decided to look him up...no one has seen me since. :p

CraigMcCra
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I never was supportive of any candidate except for Paul. I could support any of the candidates because I have been awake to the facts for years and know we need change. Ron Paul caught my attention a couple years ago in Freedom to Fascism and instantly sparked my attention.

fireinme
12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I went to The "official page" of Giuliani and I liked what I saw. But when I saw the first debate I knew Ron Paul was the man.

angrydragon
12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Glad to have all of you here supporting Ron Paul. I bet if Ron Paul we're reading this thread, it would warm his big heart.

I've been a huge fan of the good doctor since 1999. Ron Paul for the win!

fletcher
12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Nope, once I heard Ron was running I was in. Although back then I didn't hate the rest of the candidates as much as I do now.

AtomiC
12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Nope, Ron Paul is the first candidate I actually feel good about.

jd603
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Before Ron, and I hang my head in shame on this one. I was ok with Hillary, for the sole purpose of getting Bill back in the white house. My view of him was of a smart, likeable guy and I was oblivious to his politics.

Now that I have researched history, politics, all the candidates and analyzed everything to death I've learned... Ron is the only candidate running worth voting for...

If you notice though, the think tanks know Bill Clinton will be a big influence on Hillary's campaign so I expect Bill to become more and more involved if needed.

A lot of American's still love Bill Clinton and I think that will be what will guarantee Hillary the white house if Ron Paul doesn't get nominated. However if he does, she is going to have a HELL of a time. :)

As a previous Obama supporter, I was just curious where everyone came from.

Try to keep the responses to:

Yes, candidate-name

or

no, I was undecided

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I used to be for Giuliani. (http://www.soconsforrudy.com)

knappz
12-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Never voted and certainly never donated to a campaign before.

Ron Paul cured my political apathy!

rrroae
12-17-2007, 10:46 PM
McCain. And I don't want to hear it.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I was a Duncan Hunter supporter.

Go ahead...I deserve it.

You went from the one candidate who is a true isolationist but never gets called one to the one candidate who is the farthest thing from an isolationist but always gets called one.

ronpaulitician
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Completely undecided. Supported Badnarik's campaign in '04. Would probably have stayed out of it if I hadn't found Paul.

Wife voted for Bush in '04, but will probably vote Paul this time, as, I think, will her sister who was leaning towards Obama early on, but has liked pretty much everything she's heard and read about Paul, and was particularly taken with his appearance on The View.

ChrisV
12-17-2007, 10:54 PM
No,

I was undecided at first. That is how I found out about Ron Paul. I was looking up all the candidates on Wikipedia and I thought, this guy looks kind of goofy so I went to his webpage and listened to his videos on the issues ( the videos that used to be on his webpage). From there on I did research on him and watched some of his videos on youtube and was hooked.

I must also say that I have never really been involved in politics before, other than voting once in 2000. So far I have donated approximately $800 to the Ron Paul campaign and converted about 10 other people.

bomybomy
12-17-2007, 11:06 PM
No one. Well, Bush....but I just voted on the general, didn't really know anything about him.

westmich4paul
12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I am 40 yrs old and I had never voted before 2004. I voted for Kerry in 2004 because of the absolute disgust I had for Bush. I knew from day one of him entering into the White House he would go back into Iraq to finish the job his dad did not. Wala where are we now? But seriously I would have voted on a democratic ticket next year and was leaning towards Biden although I hadn't researched any candidate that well. To be quite honest I cannot remember the particular event that found me finding Dr. Paul. I think I was surfing youtube and I clicked on his video and it was like omg this has been the candidate I have been looking for for years.

I used to tell all my family for years we needed to just get back to that menatality of nonintervention for years and I am ashamed I did not know of Dr. Paul in 1988 because I would have voted for him back then. Well he's got my vote now and there is no second choice.

DRV45N05
12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I was for McCain before Ron Paul got in. I then switched as soon as I found out he was in.

I'll never be for McCain again.

RonPaulCult
12-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I was supporting Kucinich at first and never even considered looking at a Republican seriously. Then hearing him in the debates and seeing his mass support on the internet I realized that he was the ONLY ONE that can stop the war.

Question_Authority
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Been following Paul for years through his weekly column. Signed up as a volunteer immediately upon hearing he would run for prez. That was a glorious day.

deltabourne
12-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Kind of non-committal I think. Maybe leaning towards Obama. I didn't know much about Giuliani except that he was a Yankees fan, so I didn't quite hate him either :(

Jodi
12-17-2007, 11:25 PM
For me it was a toss up between huckabee, tancredo or hunter. After the first couple of debates I fell in love with Ron Paul, as I knew this was the only man who could get our country back. When I think of what it would mean to have this awesome man as our President I get pretty emotional.

subdefective
12-18-2007, 12:16 AM
For this election, nobody. I didn't like any one of the candidates that I knew about, and was more discouraged with politics than ever.

kjk437
12-18-2007, 12:33 AM
I figured I was going to wait and see who the Libertarians leaned towards, but no one in particular.

Austin
12-18-2007, 12:34 AM

+1

Clutch
12-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I’m not American... so I don’t know if this counts...

But here’s who I supported prior to Dr. Paul:

I’m actually a Canadian (born ‘n bred). But since the US is our neighbour & biggest trading partner most Canadian take great interest in what happens down there.

Prior to Ron Paul, I couldn’t care less about any of the other candidates running. I thought they were all cut from the same cloth. Each one of them offered the same thing just re-packaged, war or more war.

I always had great respect & love for America & its people.
9/11 shocked me as well as most people around the world. My immediate sympathies were with the American people. I supported America’s attack against Al Qaeda & Bin Laden in Afghanistan. These terrorists had to be brought to justice!

Soon afterwards the American Government’s attention turned towards Iraq (without Bin Laden being brought to justice for his crimes). I knew the Iraq war was for all the wrong reasons: OIL. I knew WMD was just a smoke screen. From that point I saw America morph into something I thought it never would (I’m not going to get into those here...).

All the politicians were toeing the “establishments” line... No politician spoke up (hardly anyone – I hadn’t heard of Ron Paul then).

Democrat or Republican... they were all the same!

I had almost given up on America (politically speaking). I thought I was witnessing the demise of a great nation. A nation bent on destroying itself (economically, politically & socially). I thought to myself, “What is wrong with these people? Are they all asleep? Have they all turned blind to the truth? Where had the “real” American disappeared off to? Do they not realise they are turning into their own worst enemies?”

Hitlery, Rudy911Guliani, & the rest of them made me cringe!

Then sometime in May/June I saw a Ron Paul video on youTube. Since then I have not been the same. I was always non-political. Never voted in any Canadian election. Held politicians in the same ‘high’ esteem as lawyers! Dr. Paul was a breath of fresh air. A beacon of hope. A “real” American. Because of Ron Paul I downloaded & read the US constitution (for the first time in my life). I was in awe!

Now I know what makes/made America great. It’s the constitution, stupid! I personally believe the American Constitution is the greatest political contract between the people & the Government, guarantor of Liberty & freedom in history!

Dr. Paul is right. America cannot spread freedom & democracy around the world at the barrel of a gun. Only by setting an example itself for others to emulate. This movement for freedom is unstoppable.

The Sleeper “real American” has Awaken!

zmall88
12-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Nope, wouldn't have done a damn thing in this election if Ron didn't run!

In 04 I supported Michael Badnarik.
I actually started a meetup group in my area.
There were only 4 of us. And one was my wife who was just along for the ride. And another was a high school reporter doing a story. So there were really just TWO people.

The Ron Paul Revolution has blown my mind!

hahahahahaha thats hilarious!

nist7
12-18-2007, 01:40 AM

Dr. Paul has cured me of this terrible disease called apathy.

nist7
12-18-2007, 01:41 AM
I’m not American... so I don’t know if this counts...

But here’s who I supported prior to Dr. Paul:

I’m actually a Canadian (born ‘n bred). But since the US is our neighbour & biggest trading partner most Canadian take great interest in what happens down there.

Prior to Ron Paul, I couldn’t care less about any of the other candidates running. I thought they were all cut from the same cloth. Each one of them offered the same thing just re-packaged, war or more war.

I always had great respect & love for America & its people.
9/11 shocked me as well as most people around the world. My immediate sympathies were with the American people. I supported America’s attack against Al Qaeda & Bin Laden in Afghanistan. These terrorists had to be brought to justice!

Soon afterwards the American Government’s attention turned towards Iraq (without Bin Laden being brought to justice for his crimes). I knew the Iraq war was for all the wrong reasons: OIL. I knew WMD was just a smoke screen. From that point I saw America morph into something I thought it never would (I’m not going to get into those here...).

All the politicians were toeing the “establishments” line... No politician spoke up (hardly anyone – I hadn’t heard of Ron Paul then).

Democrat or Republican... they were all the same!

I had almost given up on America (politically speaking). I thought I was witnessing the demise of a great nation. A nation bent on destroying itself (economically, politically & socially). I thought to myself, “What is wrong with these people? Are they all asleep? Have they all turned blind to the truth? Where had the “real” American disappeared off to? Do they not realise they are turning into their own worst enemies?”

Hitlery, Rudy911Guliani, & the rest of them made me cringe!

Then sometime in May/June I saw a Ron Paul video on youTube. Since then I have not been the same. I was always non-political. Never voted in any Canadian election. Held politicians in the same ‘high’ esteem as lawyers! Dr. Paul was a breath of fresh air. A beacon of hope. A “real” American. Because of Ron Paul I downloaded & read the US constitution (for the first time in my life). I was in awe!

Now I know what makes/made America great. It’s the constitution, stupid! I personally believe the American Constitution is the greatest political contract between the people & the Government, guarantor of Liberty & freedom in history!

Dr. Paul is right. America cannot spread freedom & democracy around the world at the barrel of a gun. Only by setting an example itself for others to emulate. This movement for freedom is unstoppable.

The Sleeper “real American” has Awaken!

Well said!

:cool:

JDeVriese
12-18-2007, 01:42 AM
I bounced between Huckabee/Tancredo/Brownback/Hunter until I finally learned the basis for Paul's foreign policy. The others just didn't share the same economic philosophies as me.