PDA

View Full Version : $1 Donation Blitz

gerryb
12-17-2007, 09:23 PM
It's obvious we aren't going to get noticed with money bombs now. We have had almost 150,000 supporters donate this month, but they still report that that number is the extent of his support.

We need to get every Ron Paul supporter to donate $1 before Dec. 31st. The purpose of this is not to raise money. The purpose is to swell the number of NEW donors to show Ron Paul has true support.

If 1 million people were to donate $1, the support would be undeniable.

I don't propose we schedule this for a certain day. It must start now and continue through the new year. But it is important to get the most before Dec. 31st in order to have verifiable FEC reporting of the fact.

steph3n
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
will cost way to much bad idea

LibertiORDeth
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
will cost way to much bad idea

why?

fortilite
No way! Bad idea! Go all in.

hillertexas
What if we mail in $1 dollar bills with our names written on them in Sharpie?

kushaze
We might as well make it $20, $10 or $5. $1 seems a little low for anyone to take their time and donate.

LeonardK
12-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Because the credit card processor will take thirty-five cents of your buck.

PimpBlimp
Make it 5$ and it sounds like a plan.

1$ is worth the credit card processing fee and all that crap.

devil21
Credit card companies would probably eat up most of those donations. Good idea but wouldn't help much.

max
If RP raised 50 million...the media would yawn...

nonetheless, the fundraiser was a huge success because HQ can buy more ads...

its a shame we got screwe out of free publicity because media was reporting on Mcians Liberman endorsement and the Huckster-Romney fued

Jwaksman
12-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Guys, the "number of donors" is the number of DISTINCT donors. If you donate $1 on 5 occasions, you still only count as one donor.

Don't bother donating $1, the credit card fees will eat too much of it. Donate in the largest quantities that you can.

Revolutn
12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Bad idea.

CC processing costs etc staff to handle all those puny amounts would more than eat up the funds raised.

It would COST the campaign.

I actually suggested this as a guerrilla warfare tactic against other candidates, half joking half mischievously serious and got berated for even saying it....so why am I saying it here again..well....because

My concept was designed to harm other campaigns financially, your plan seems to be to do the same unintentionally to our own guy.

Bad idea.

fortilite
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
How about $100 donation blitz? Or max out blitz?

Exponent
12-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I think the idea the OP is getting at is encouraging all those people who don't donate to at least give something, if only to help show off the # of donors value. Even if processing eats up half the dollar, the campaign is still ahead 50 cents (remember, this would be targeted at people who have not and would not otherwise donate), and the # of donors would look that much more impressive.

I would encourage it, but as I said, only for those who haven't donated and wouldn't donate any more than $1.

fortilite
12-17-2007, 09:35 PM
If someone can't donate $10 there is something wrong.

Rebel Resource
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Great idea. Did you think of that? :D Of course it's not just new donors and the PR that comes with that. It's thousands of new email addresses for the mailing list.

This idea could be used weekly to pull in new donors: The "New Donor Sundays".

Most would just go with $5-$10-$25 to make it worthwhile, even if $1 is suggested as an easy hook. Could be an easy half-million every Sunday, judging by the legs of the RP campaign.

As I know from work in a charity, one off donations are good but you can do much better. People would have no problem sacrificing small weekly amounts to bump up the "New Donor" Sundays, and would probably each donate a little bit more in total than they would have otherwise....

ARealConservative
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Bad idea.

CC processing costs etc staff to handle all those puny amounts would more than eat up the funds raised.

It would COST the campaign.

I actually suggested this as a guerrilla warfare tactic against other candidates, half joking half mischievously serious and got berated for even saying it....so why am I saying it here again..well....because

My concept was designed to harm other campaigns financially, your plan seems to be to do the same unintentionally to our own guy.

Bad idea.

receiving .65 on the dollar isn't causing financial harm unless it creates a defacto Denial of Service style attack on websites taking donations.

gerryb
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Credit card companies would probably eat up most of those donations. Good idea but wouldn't help much.

It's not for the donations, it is to show the enormous support, in raw new donor numbers.

McDonalds can sell a burger for 99 cents and still make money.. Why can't Ron Paul take a DONATION and do the same?

Wayne Hammond
12-17-2007, 10:10 PM
It's not for the donations, it is to show the enormous support, in raw new donor numbers.

McDonalds can sell a burder for 99 cents and still make money.. Why can't Ron Paul take a DONATION and do the same?

Because of the credit card companies who earn almost as much from these minuscule donations as the RP campaign does... you know... the big BANKS... the group of ruling elite we are supposed to be fighting against here.

Small one-dollar donations fund our enemy almost as much as they fund our own movement.

And you can donate 1300 times, and you will still show up on HQ's list as one donor, not 1300 donors.

That's why it is a really bad idea. :(

gerryb
12-17-2007, 10:28 PM
And you can donate 1300 times, and you will still show up on HQ's list as one donor, not 1300 donors.

This isn't about YOU donating $1. This is about EVERYONE you know donating $1. You know, all those millions of supporters Ron Paul has but the biased media won't report on.

How would they be able to ignore if there were 1-2-10 million individuals who contributed to the campaign?

Are you all afraid RP doesn't have true support? Enough support that each and every one of them would give a measly dollar? It sure sounds like it to me.

1) RP will not lose money on a $1 donation. Processing fee's are at most 30 cents per transaction. That large of a fee is for your corner chinese take out. Hopefully RP has negotiated a better deal than that.

2) It's not about "spamming" $1 multiple times from 1 person. It's about getting NEW donors involved.

3) If every supporter donated a single dollar, how could that fact be misreported AT ALL? People will take notice if 1-10 million people donate, even if it is a single dollar. They won't be able to deny his support is way above the number reported in the polls when he has 100x more donors than any other candidate.

Exponent
12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Because of the credit card companies who earn almost as much from these minuscule donations as the RP campaign does... you know... the big BANKS... the group of ruling elite we are supposed to be fighting against here.

Small one-dollar donations fund our enemy almost as much as they fund our own movement.

I don't think anyone is advocating that existing donors donate multiple times. Only new donors, and only once each.

And I seriously doubt that the profit the credit cards will make off of small donations is going to strengthen our enemy more than the donor numbers will strengthen us. Besides, I don't know if I really see the credit card companies as exactly being our enemy anyway. Maybe the creditors themselves (but even credit is an important part of a free market society), but the card companies themselves offer a valuable service. That they make a profit by offering an easier and more efficient way to manage and transfer money is not something that I care to criticize.

theantirobot
12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey I had this same IDea!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=57572

gerryb
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey I had this same IDea!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=57572

Great minds!

gerryb
12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Great minds!

Or not. I guess people don't think we can get every supporter to donate a dollar?

me3
12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Do you know how much FEC filing overhead this will create?

This campaign won't be won on gimmicks. Get with your MeetUps and find new supporters!

gerryb
12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you know how much FEC filing overhead this will create?

This campaign won't be won on gimmicks. Get with your MeetUps and find new supporters!

No, I don't? What do they have to do other than send in the database records?

That's exactly what I want to do, find new supporters and have them show their support with a token donation.