PDA

View Full Version : First time sign waving...what to expect?

nevildev
12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Tomorrow morning a few hearty Ron Paul supporters will be out on I-93 in Concord, NH with Ron Paul signs/banners. This'll be my first time doing it and I was wondering what to expect....honks, thumbs down, thumbs up..?

O yeh...low of 0 degrees tonight :)

krott5333
12-17-2007, 09:15 PM
are you kidding me?

you must be new.

tip: wave the sign above your head. Anyone can stand there and hold it.

you show enthusiam, and the drivers will also show enthusiam!

many honks. probably 1 finger/thumbs down to 100 honks and yells.

And by the way, make sure you get out and do some door to door as well.

SophisticatedFarmGirl
I did my first on Sunday. It was SO FUN! It's great to watch peoples' faces: some ignore, some mouth the words "Ron Paul" with confusion as they are reading the signs, and LOTS of honks and thumbs-up! HAVE A GREAT TIME!

fortilite
You'll get more honks and thumbs up than thumbs down, especially in NH. In Austin I only got 1 thumbs down.

derdy
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Tomorrow morning a few hearty Ron Paul supporters will be out on I-93 in Concord, NH with Ron Paul signs/banners. This'll be my first time doing it and I was wondering what to expect....honks, thumbs down, thumbs up..?

I've been to two so far. The first one was close to some upscale areas. We got a lot of thumbs down, but not as many as honks.

Second one was in suburbia where I live. We didn't get ONE thumbs down for four hours and a lot of honks.

Mark Rushmore
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM

I'd recommend warming up your smile on the ride to the sign-wave. Usually the first hour or so out in the cold people are more prone to holding their signs while stiff, cold, and dour looking - at this point expect many less thumbs up and such. After everyone warms up and has a few honks behind them, starts to smile and shows more positive energy - then you'll get a steady stream of support and only the rare flip-off or mouthing.

That's my own experience - that people largely give you back the energy that you are putting in.

tonyTheBest
12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I think it would be a cool idea if you do sign waving from 10pm. Less people will see you but it'd strike them and leave a lasting impression because of your dedication.

Geronimo
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM

What time are you guys going to be out there?

nevildev
12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
What time are you guys going to be out there?

We're meeting at the NH Headquarters at 6:45 AM then carpooling to the I-93 overpass. Here's the meetup http://ronpaul.meetup.com/6/calendar/6921102/ . We've got 4 or 5 going out as of now.

Hope
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Make sure to bring liberty cards and slim jims to give out to people who roll down their windows! :)

bulloncoins
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't let the middle finger wave get to you if you see it. It is just their way of saying....."Ron Paul is number 1" ;)

evadmurd
12-17-2007, 09:35 PM
SMILE and acknowledge the beeps. Wave and cheer at them.

Geronimo
12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
We're meeting at the NH Headquarters at 6:45 AM then carpooling to the I-93 overpass. Here's the meetup http://ronpaul.meetup.com/6/calendar/6921102/ . We've got 4 or 5 going out as of now.
I was hoping that I'd be able to see you guys as I drive by, but you'll be gone by the time I pass through.

Have fun!

Bossobass
12-17-2007, 09:47 PM
My first sign wave was in Columbia, SC back in May.

I bumped into a group of Confederates and one of them told me he would consider it a privilege to lynch a Yankee (I'm originally from Pittsburgh, Pa and my accent was like a red ass bull's eye).

I stuck a slim jim in his back pocket as he turned to leave. I don't sweat no lynch mob.

Sign waves are much different these days.

1. You'll get to know a few RP supporters (who are just about the coolest people on Earth) much better.
2. As has been suggested, hold that sign as high as you can and be conscious of your expression so that it reflects the awesome news you're offering passersby.
3. 50% of life is showing up. The other 50% is being prepared when you get there. Dress warm, bring a thermos and above all, follow the good Dr's advice and...
HAVE FUN :cool::)

Bosso

Buzz
12-17-2007, 09:48 PM
We only got one thumbs-down during the big New York City rally, and a ton of honks, although admittedly a lot of the honks were probably "It's cool you're doing that" or "Gimme a round of applause!" honks as opposed to "Ron Paul rocks!" honks. :cool:

RevolutionSD
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
In a two hour period, you'll get lots of honks and waves, and a few thumbs downs. Out here in CA we get a couple of middle fingers an hour too. Don't know if that happens in NH. But you'll typically get ignored by about 49 cars out of 50. Most people don't care and are in their own world!

Ibtz
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Your arms MAY feel heavy after awhile. Pace yourself and use lots of Ben-Gay on your deltoids after the sign wave.