PDA

View Full Version : Penn Jillette endorsement

MCR
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
One of our meetup members ran into him at the Best Buy here in Vegas and got a chance to ask him out Ron Paul. Here is the quote from our forums.

"My wife was star-struck today when we ran into
Penn Jillette while shopping at the local Best Buy.
I asked him what he thought of Ron Paul raising
six million yesterday, "How cool is that." Penn said.

"He could use your endorsement, bro" I said.

"I'm thinking about the right time to do it" Penn said.

I told him I started the MEETUP here in Vegas and
he said one of his producers at the Penn & Teller
Show is a member of our group.

He was shopping with is son, so I didn't push the issue.
I wanted to tell him about our Tea Party at Fremont Street
but thought it best not to intrude on is private time, so I just
let it go. It was enough to have raised the issue and to learn
that Penn is indeed planning to endorse our man when he
feels the right time has presented itself. Maybe we can reach
out to him again at some point."

misconstrued
12-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Great story. I wish he still had his radio show going.

Revolutn
12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
One of out meetup members ran into him into at Best Buy in Vegas here is the
quote.

I would suggest you try to use the local meetup group to flush out his producer (in a good way) so you can get in direct touch with him another time that, like you rightfully said, wasn't family shopping time.

Once you identify whoever this member is, getting a link back to Penn directly should be relatively easy.

Just a thought.

0zzy
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
:D!

jgmaynard
Penn and Teller are half the reason I have Showtime. The other half is Weeds. What a great show.

JM

rajibo
youtube?

angrydragon
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Man that would be sweet.

fuzzybekool
12-17-2007, 08:36 PM
awesome encounter

RonPaulFever
12-17-2007, 08:36 PM
youtube?

lol!

I'm sure there are plenty of others who are "waiting for the right time" as well. All we need are some wins and top 3 finishes in the primaries, and they'll start coming out of the woodwork.

Mandrik
12-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Penn and Teller are half the reason I have Showtime. The other half is Weeds. What a great show.

JM

Watch Californication. The first season just finished a couple months ago and it was absolutely amazing.

traitorist
12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
youtube?

:D

justinc.1089
ADDRESS?! I need an address or something to contact him to ask for his endorsement of Paul as a fellow illusionist! He might think more of that since there are not many illusionists out there idk...

Its too bad I'm not like a pro or anything or in with the magic castle people then I could get influencial endorsements in the magic world like Penn because I would be around them so often.:(

Cowlesy
I swear to God the campaign better have figured it out by now he'd endorse Ron if they'd take the time to get ahold of him.

Let's hope they have!

yongrel
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I miss Penn Radio so goddamned much!

ecliptic
Penn is an establishment shill.

His participation in an early 911 truth disinformation effort was a dead giveaway...

rfbz
waiting for the right time? the time is now.

burningfur
12-17-2007, 08:44 PM
This could backfire, we already watched what happened when Tucker persuaded Dennis Hof to endorse the campaign.

We really, really don't need people to view Paul as fringe.

I'm just saying...it could be helpful too, I don't know enough about him, he strikes me as genuinely funny. I also think he'll have the guts to stand up against the MSM like Tucker or Cafferty.

(Of course, I agree with the guy on some things, (his interpretation of frank luntz) and disagree with him on other things (his interpretation of Christianity))

I think the endorsement will be good for NV, but not so good for Iowa, in my humble opinion.

rajibo
12-17-2007, 08:51 PM

JM

Don't forget Dexter. Best show on TV IMO.

Young_Apprentice
12-17-2007, 09:02 PM

His participation in an early 911 truth disinformation effort was a dead giveaway...

So, just because they did a great show on conspracy theories and you don't happen to agree with it he's an establishment shill? Yeah, the guy who advocates having a gun in case we might someday have to overthrow the government is an establishment shill...

Meanwhile...the 9/11 "truthers" are doing wonders for the campaign...haha

Air420
12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
His game show got canceled so hopefully he will come back to radio, Monkey Tuesday!

ecliptic
12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
So, just because they did a great show on conspracy theories and you don't happen to agree with it he's an establishment shill? Yeah, the guy who advocates having a gun in case we might someday have to overthrow the government is an establishment shill...

Meanwhile...the 9/11 "truthers" are doing wonders for the campaign...haha

NO, because they did a pathetically lousy job on his show - an all-out smear-job using classic disinformation techniques - and avoiding any strong evidence while attacking the messenger full-on - that's what makes Penn Jillette a smarmy establishment shill alongside FOX news scum and other garbage. Penn Jillette's endorsement is worth a piece of used toilet paper. Don't forget to wash your hands!

Driftar
12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I loved his show on Frank Luntz.

pacelli
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Exactly. There's a connection to the Luntz debacle. Penn would certainly be a great, very public bulldog for dr. paul.

Dutch
12-17-2007, 09:15 PM
It'd be nice if the only words that Teller ever spoke were "I support Ron Paul". :D

Dutch

V4Vendetta
12-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes.... Youtube.... of ya'll standing by the counter in Starbucks..... or it didn't happen

quickmike
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM

No, hes not a shill, he just doesnt believe in the 911 conspiracy. Its just that simple. Some people believe in it, some dont. Doesnt mean theyre shills just because they have different opinions.

honkywill
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
It'd be nice if the only words that Teller ever spoke were "I support Ron Paul". :D

Dutch

haha.

justinc.1089
12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Penn would support Paul I think. I feel very confident that he would. He is typically anti- lots of stuff lol. Gov., conspiracies, religions, polls, bottled water lol, etc....

maxbish
12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
It'd be nice if the only words that Teller ever spoke were "I support Ron Paul"

:cool:

RevolutionSD
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM

JM

I love Weeds!!!!!!! :D

I'm not crazy about Penn but I'll sure as hell take that endorsement!

Nathan Hale
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey, if Penn wants to help, he should "reveal" Paul during a show. Paul would get a minute stump speech and he's off the stage. The media would have a field day, and Paul would have a big entrance and a well lubed audience to play off of for a quick, emotional minute.

DJ RP
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM

LOL. A lot of people think you guys are fucking insane. Also the style of that show is to be entertaining. In all the episodes they often attack the messenger and insult people when they can't fight back. The good thing about the show is they raise the issues other people on tv don't. Like all the federal regulation being a bad thing, frank luntz, scams like bottled water etc. etc. I love that show.

Flirple
12-17-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm speechless over this comment.

BlCkDeAtH
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I think the endorsement will be good for NV, but not so good for Iowa, in my humble opinion.

maybe he'll do it after Iowa?

newmedia4ron
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
One of our meetup members ran into him at the Best Buy here in Vegas and got a chance to ask him out Ron Paul. Here is the quote from our forums.

you better not be making that shit up
doesn't it suck that penn doesn't have his radio show anymore?

Richandler
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I could care less about Penn endorsing Ron Paul. I want to know what he was picking up at Best Buy.

user
12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Nice!

ronpaulitician
12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm speechless over this comment.
That's Ron Paul for you. People who disagree vastly on some issues that are very important to them, are willing and able to momentarily put their many disagreements aside in their united struggle to get Paul's views out to the public.

MCR
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM

I am just passing along information from our Las Vegas meetup forums I wasn't personally there at Best Buy. Here is a direct link to the thread on that forum

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/47/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3709990

RonPaulCentral
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM

I doubt he is making anything up. I was in Vegas in August and went to a Penn & Teller performance. At the end they were outside in the lobby greeting everyone as they left doing autographs and such.

I have been a fan of theirs for years and know a fair amount about their political and other beliefs.... so I decided to do the following

I said to Penn: "All I want to say is Ron Paul."

He signed my stuff and I thanked him... walked no more then 5 feet turned and looked back at him... and he yells to me

"We can only hope!"

It would not surprise me to see Penn but also Teller get behind him as well. I wish I had stuck around to discuss it more but at this point I had a lot of drinks in me (tossed them back during the show) and was not in the shape to have a discussion of any importance.... :D

Alex Libman
12-17-2007, 11:00 PM
It's not a fact until it's a well-referenced and in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul_presidential_campaign%2C_2008#Endorsement s)...

remaxjon
12-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Penn is great I love Bullshit best show on TV

Duckman
12-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Penn and Teller are both very public about their libertarian beliefs. I have no doubt they would endorse Ron Paul.

me3
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Why the heck is the campaign waiting on this?

NewEnd
12-18-2007, 12:03 AM
youtube?

FTW!

newmedia4ron
12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
its silly that celebrity endorsements mean anything but just look at what chuck norris does for huck. it attracts the media, you can never have enough press.

I hope one of well known celebs go public. I guess they still think it'll effect their career in a negative way.

noztnac
12-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Does he still have that BULLSHIT show? It would be great for him to have an episode-
The mainstream media's treatment of Ron Paul is Bullshit!

nist7
12-18-2007, 12:28 AM

Establishment shill?

They criticized the war on drugs.

They criticized the fear over global warming.

They criticized 12 stepping, especially Alcoholics Anonymous.

They criticized circumcision.

They criticized the "traditional importance" of a husband-wife family.

They criticized Mother Teresa, Gandhi, and Dalai Lama.

They criticized government intrusion into citizens' privacy.

They criticized gun control laws.

They criticized the US Endangered Species Act.

They criticized the Boy Scouts of America.

They support the legalization of prostitution.

They criticized "manners."

They criticized opinion polls (aka Frank Luntz.)

They criticized abstinence-only sex education.

They criticized the American with Disabilities Act.

etc.

etc.

Yup....they are definitely establishment shills.

NO, because they did a pathetically lousy job on his show - an all-out smear-job using classic disinformation techniques - and avoiding any strong evidence while attacking the messenger full-on - that's what makes Penn Jillette a smarmy establishment shill alongside FOX news scum and other garbage. Penn Jillette's endorsement is worth a piece of used toilet paper. Don't forget to wash your hands!

If you believe 9/11 was an inside job, fine. You have every right and freedom to do so. But to lump Penn with the same garbage as Faux News just because you disagree with him on one issue is just idiotic.

Also, if you actually watched his show, Bullshit!, you see that they do smear and lambast their opponents regularly. It's part of their entertainment.

slantedview
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
thumbs up :)

nist7
12-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Does he still have that BULLSHIT show? It would be great for him to have an episode-
The mainstream media's treatment of Ron Paul is Bullshit!

Yup. The 6th season starts sometime in 2008...maybe they'll do an episode on why our current election system is bullshit!

nist7
12-18-2007, 12:41 AM
bump

MCR
12-18-2007, 12:48 AM
If you want to talk to them about Ron Pual just pay the $80 for there show in Vegas and talk to them afterwards. They always are good about signing autograph's afterwards.

Flirple
12-18-2007, 04:10 PM
That's Ron Paul for you. People who disagree vastly on some issues that are very important to them, are willing and able to momentarily put their many disagreements aside in their united struggle to get Paul's views out to the public.

Amen brother! Oh wait, I'm an atheist.

Maltheus
12-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Seems a good match. I was just making the point on another board that he's likely a Ron Paul conservative to some dufuss who thought Jillette was a liberal. I did like Bullshit and then got tired of it when it became more and more about cheap shots. I usually agree with the point they're trying to make, I just hate the way they look for the looniest people on the opposite side to make fun of. It's stacking the deck and it cheapens the argument, IMO. Just like they show how they do their magic tricks, they should show how they manipulate their own audience on Bullshit.

I also wonder about someone who has never once tried an alcoholic drink. I'd get it if he were Muslim or something, and I'd understand if he just didn't like drinking, but to have never even sipped a beer? That's utterly bizarre, control-freak wacko behavior. I simply can't wrap my head around it. Then again, he admits to being a chronic liar, so who knows?

As for Showtime, Weeds is good, but Dexter is the best show on any channel right now. And I know my TV. I don't recall the last time where I enjoyed every minute of a show for two seasons straight.

son of liberty
12-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Used to listen to his radio show podcast. good stuff.

ashlux
12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
If you want to talk to them about Ron Pual just pay the $80 for there show in Vegas and talk to them afterwards. They always are good about signing autograph's afterwards.

You can sometimes catch them before and after shows too.

I was picking up our tickets to the show last March and saw Penn Jillette and Mike Jones grabbing something at the Starbucks (it is *right* next to the theatre). It was about an hour or so before the show. I'd venture a guess that that is a daily routine.

Next time I'm in Vegas, I am so going to invite them to IHOP. Penn said he'd take people up on the offer, but only if they paid. I wish I could remember where I heard/read that.

uncloned21
12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
um...Ron Paul dismissed the 9/11 conspiracy theories, so he's an establishment shill too!

good logic, thanks

Unspun
12-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Penn Jillette for President Ron Paul's Press Secretary!

Eddie
12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
He had a great interview on Glen Beck tonight (perhaps rerun) and mentioned his support of Randian ideals and a lot of other ideals that indicated to me that he would support Ron but I haven't seen the entire show so I don't know if the question was raised.

slacker921
01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
has anyone pursued this further? If Penn was waiting for the "right time" ... now would be just dandy.

noztnac
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
um...Ron Paul dismissed the 9/11 conspiracy theories, so he's an establishment shill too!

good logic, thanks

No. He just believes conspiracy theories are bullshit. He's anything but a corporate shill.