PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Buchanan endorses torture???

maqsur
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi all, I sit here dumbstruck after watching an exchange on the Abrams Report (msnbc); panel included Pat Buchanan, Peter Beinhart (sp?) from New Republic, and Cliff May (neocon from Defense of Democracies or some nonsense).

Abrams questioning about torture. Buchanan agreeing with Cliff May that sometimes torture should be used if "it saves American lives." I couldn't believe my ears. I thought Buchanan was sort of traditional conservative, but tonight he outneoconned a neocon!

My jaw was dropped the whole time; people actually debating whether torture should be allowed... I can't believe this is even being debated. What a sorry state of affairs!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :eek:

Side note: Is it just me, or has Buchanan become very militant lately? The past couple of weeks, especially since his new book came out, he is changing for the worse in my opinion. I hope he isn't being assimilated into the neocon way of thinking.

InRonWeTrust
12-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Well i think it should be illegal, but if there is literally a jack bauer 24-style ticking time bomb scenario, then a patriot should step up, kick some ass, and take the jail time.

Marshall
12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Well i think it should be illegal, but if there is literally a jack bauer 24-style ticking time bomb scenario, then a patriot should step up, kick some ass, and take the jail time.

Yeah, because people won't lie and say whatever the torturer wants in order to get the torture to stop.

maqsur
12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
How would we know that the info is reliable or not... after all, anyone being tortured would say whatever to get released, no? Besides, it is immoral to torture ever. After all, even if we just crack open the door to torture (even in extreme circumstances), then we invite anyone else in the world to use the same logic if an American citizen gets captured. It just leads us down a bad road...

partypooper
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Besides, it is immoral to torture ever.

according to you. some people do not subscribe to such generalized rules.

maqsur
12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
according to you. some people do not subscribe to such generalized rules.

Yes, you are right, it is my personal opinion on the matter. I would think this is a common opinion among the general population, or at least I hope so.

thisisgiparti
12-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Something about Pat Buchanan rubs me the wrong way. I just can't believe in someone who jokes so much about carrying a pitchfork.

SeanEdwards
12-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah, because people won't lie and say whatever the torturer wants in order to get the torture to stop.

I could make you tell the truth. Probably in about 2 minutes or less.

Torture may be immoral, but it is effective. Anyone who says it isn't is trying to fool you.

paulpwns
12-18-2007, 02:42 AM
I second that Torture is abhorrent and immoral.

Not only that. It dosen't work.