PDA

View Full Version : Buy gold before Ron Paul wins?

tomcat
12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm curious, and unfortunately uneducated on this issue: if Ron Paul starts to REALLY look like he's winning the presidency, should one buy up gold? When he reverts us back into the gold standard, will it pay to have invested in it?

I have not invested much yet, I am still young, but I do see that it's not very risky to put money in gold. And as they say, risk=reward, so I am confused :confused:

dvictr
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
i dont know were to begin... but ill give you a reading assignment...

Milton Friedman "Capitalism and Freedom" :its an easy to read book and the price of buying this book is the best investment you can ever make .

fsk
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
The "risk" of gold investing, compared to a stock investment is:

- Where do you store it?
- The tax treatment is unfavorable compared to stocks.
- It isn't that liquid. You can't go into a store and buy something with gold.
- Your long-term inflation-adjusted return will be 0%.

The "benefit" of gold investment is that if the current financial system completely collapses, gold should keep its purchasing power. That is, if you can prevent looters from breaking into your home and stealing it.

Tom228
12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
I personally don't think we'll be back on the gold standard anytime soon, whether or not you like the gold standard or not. In order to put us back onto it, Ron Paul would have to go through Congress, and if you remember from government class it takes forever to get anything passed. And I don't think Ron Paul has than many supporters in the House and/or the Senate

Dr.3D
12-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Ron said his plan would be to allow competing currency based on gold and silver. If it became popular, the paper (fiat) dollars would slowly stop being used in favor of a backed currency.

kylejack
12-19-2007, 02:40 AM
The "risk" of gold investing, compared to a stock investment is:
- It isn't that liquid. You can't go into a store and buy something with gold.

You can't buy something with stock either. Both have to be liquidated through a broker that handles such things.

Kingfisher
12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
You should buy golg (or silver) anyway They are going up. The dollar is going down. Some economists are predicting $2000 gold in the next few years.......www.321gold.com

Fox McCloud
12-19-2007, 07:49 PM
there's a very probably chance that our dollar and economy could totally collapse in the next year or so; under these conditions, gold and hard assets will become the new currency (aka: barter).

whether or not we go to a gold standard is more or less irrelevant; do what you feel in the right thing to do.

Johnnybags
12-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I have a plethora of stocks that would soar long before gold. I will share it with the forum if it looks feasable that he can win.

NorwegianLibertarian
12-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Another risk with physical gold investment in the US is that the federal government WILL confiscate it in the case of a financial crisis.

Dr.3D
12-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Another risk with physical gold investment in the US is that the federal government WILL confiscate it in the case of a financial crisis.

It seems rather unlikely the government would think it can get away with that again.
I'm pretty sure, people would rather dump it in the middle of a lake than give it to the government again.

Silver would probably be better than gold anyway.

DarkLaw
12-20-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree with the above statement.

I would like to SEE them take MY SILVER AND GOLD.

The citizens gave it up early in this century because we had
no true media. There was no internet. Think of how many small towns
had been threatened by the Big Fed Govt? They turned it in for fear of
retaliation.

Nowadays, there are too many of us that KNOW better.
Hell, you guys scream bloody murder when someone gets TAZED!
Think about if the Feds came to your house and demanded your gold?

LoL

Wouldn't...COULDN'T happen in modern America.

At least not in MY house.

And by the way - I have recently gotten into buying silver.
I thought about stocks, about investing, or digital silver/gold..

but anyone can take that from me with the stroke of a key.
It's not *real*. I want REAL silver that I can hold and protect!

I have begun educating my friends about silver in the form of Christmas
silver 'rounds'. I include a small letter outlining the key points of physical silver and gold and a bit about the Fed Reserve/economy - but in a **sheeple fashion** so
they don't get paranoid or scared thinking I'm a nut.

Billsfan
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Gold is too liquid. Sheesh, all you have to do is go back to the place you bought it and they will give you cash right then. You do have to pay tax on any gains. And you can take a loss. (loss up to 3000 per year) So if you do buy gold make sure you keep your receipts.

Go here and listen to the daily radio show. It's only about a half hour long.

http://www.goldline.com/market-news/radio-show.html They are a M-F show.

Also go to www.radio.goldseek.com They air every Sat.

and... www.financialsense.com They also broadcast every weekend. You can download these shows from the site.

Not all gold is confiscatable. As with anything else you must study the markets. Precious metals are very volitile.

Yes, I agree with the comment on storing it. I wouldn't store it in your house if you decide to buy it. Also, they say silver is the poor man's gold. Good Luck.