PDA

View Full Version : confirmed: Digg is Shady

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.digg.com/politics/Ron_Paul_Vaulting_towards_1st_Tier_has_more_Cash_o n_Hand_than_John_McCain

1) I log on to Digg and go to upcoming stories for World & Business news and sort by
'Most Popular'

2) I notice at the top of the list a Ron Paul story: "Ron Paul Vaulting towards 1st Tier - has more Cash on Hand than John McCain"

3) I notice right away the website indicates that I buried it. wtf????

4) I immediately click on 'comments' to try and find a way to 'unbury it'.

5) I notice the story now shows only 3 diggs (5 seconds after it was at 133) and there is no way to unbury it.

6) I then look around to see if Digg allows me to see a list of stories that I've buried in the past, they don't. They also don't allow you to see who has buried what.

Summary: somehow the story went from 133 Diggs to 3 Diggs in 5 seconds and I was listed as someone who buried it (even though I didn't). If I hadn't happened to log in and click when I did I would have never even known I buried the story. How could I have?

As a 13+ year IT/QA professional I have noticed various tactics used by someone working there (and You Tube) that I've passed on to a few other IT people to also observe/confirm. This however takes the cake.

I can maybe understand not being able to see what other people have buried but not to be able to see what was buried under your own user name allows Digg to manipulate what makes it to the front page.

Oddball
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I just pulled up the page and the story is up to 206.

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I just pulled up the page and the story is up to 206.

Note it has also been buried meaning that you either have to have a direct link to find it or search for it. It was buried right before it made the front.

Read the other people's comments about the story on the Digg site. Other people realize it as well.

Tuck
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Digg is really messed up right now on all stories.

DjLoTi
07-06-2007, 01:20 PM
They can't silence it forever.

RPatTheBeach
07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.digg.com/politics/Ron_Paul_Vaulting_towards_1st_Tier_has_more_Cash_o n_Hand_than_John_McCain

1) I log on to Digg and go to upcoming stories for World & Business news and sort by
'Most Popular'

2) I notice at the top of the list a Ron Paul story: "Ron Paul Vaulting towards 1st Tier - has more Cash on Hand than John McCain"

3) I notice right away the website indicates that I buried it. wtf????

4) I immediately click on 'comments' to try and find a way to 'unbury it'.

5) I notice the story now shows only 3 diggs (5 seconds after it was at 133) and there is no way to unbury it.

6) I then look around to see if Digg allows me to see a list of stories that I've buried in the past, they don't. They also don't allow you to see who has buried what.

Summary: somehow the story went from 133 Diggs to 3 Diggs in 5 seconds and I was listed as someone who buried it (even though I didn't). If I hadn't happened to log in and click when I did I would have never even known I buried the story. How could I have?

As a 13+ year IT/QA professional I have noticed various tactics used by someone working there (and You Tube) that I've passed on to a few other IT people to also observe/confirm. This however takes the cake.

I can maybe understand not being able to see what other people have buried but not to be able to see what was buried under your own user name allows Digg to manipulate what makes it to the front page.

The topic seems to be accurately tallied now. Perhaps you experienced a replication/load balancing phase where both ends of the data were not completely synched. Let's wait it out and see where it goes from here.

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
also note:

Note it also lists only 1 comment at the top -even though there are many. This is so people sorting by 'most comments' won't find the article.

UCFGavin
07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
when i first pulled it up, it had about 220 diggs....when i logged in it had 8

aknappjr
07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Did I write the blurb to biased? Is that's why it is buried?

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:32 PM
This IS NOT about the tally.

It is about Digg burying stories by using a member's user account without his or her knowledge.

Here we have a story that I DIDN'T BURY yet Digg lists me as burying it -also prevents me from Digging it.

The topic seems to be accurately tallied now. Perhaps you experienced a replication/load balancing phase where both ends of the data were not completely synched. Let's wait it out and see where it goes from here.

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Did I write the blurb to biased? Is that's why it is buried?

No, it was buried by Digg user names. Mine is one of them for some strange reason.

nayjevin
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
It is about Digg burying stories by using a member's user account without his or her knowledge.

Could it be that someone inside digg is leaking usernames and passwords to allow someone to systematically log in as you and bury stories? In other words, no way to connect it directly to digg?

skytoucher
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
We will never know because Digg doesn't believe you should know who buries what stories, including yourself.

For all I know I've buried hundreds of Ron Paul stories without my knowledge.

By the way they just adjusted the comments up top to reflect the correct number of 'comments'. Weird how that works.