PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever actually LOOKED at the book of federal laws before? [LINK]

greves
12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I was kind of curious, since admittedly I have never looked at the actual laws themselves before. For the uninitiated, I'll give a brief summary:

Basically, the Congress (Senate/House of Reps) come together to write/rewrite/amend/change/whatever this big piece of legislation called simply the "United States Code." This has the entire list of laws that come right under the Constitution. Under the USC, in Title 44, Chapter 15, there is a document called the Code of Federal Regulations, and this is basically third in line in terms of generality. In the other dozens of Titles, and in the CFR (not that CFR), huge amounts of power are given to the federal bodies created in their specific areas. This seems to me to be completely contrary to the ideas seen in the Constitution: limiting of federal power.

I don't have links for all of hundreds of federal agencies created by these 2 documents, but these 2 should give you a really good basis for what is happening with our government today. Just marvel at all the minutia in every section of every subchapter of every chapter of every title in these documents, and it's no wonder why the government can't work!

Here are some of the titles in the USC that Ron Paul and we should be most interested in:

Title 6 - Domestic Security (DHS)
Title 12 - Banks and Banking
Title 15 - Commerce and Trade (Check out the chapter on China - special privileges, anyone?)
Title 26 - Internal Revenue Code (IRS)
Title 50 - War and National Defense

There's probably 20-30 that we should do away with altogether. And if you really want to take back the government, you better start hounding your representatives to stop wasting time over the definition of frozen fish! (I'm not joking! Look at the very beginning, Title 1, Chapter 1, Section 6!!)

United States Code: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/
Code of Federal Regulations: http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/cfr.html (Searchable by law number, but too big to list them all.)

seapilot
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
The Constitution can be less than 30 pages printed in a pocket book that protects our rights and freedoms.

The CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is literally thousands upon thousands of pages of complex code that would fill a pick up truck that restricts or limits those freedoms granted by the constitution.

Alopederii
12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
The Constitution can be less than 30 pages printed in a pocket book that protects our rights and freedoms.

The CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is literally thousands upon thousands of pages of complex code that would fill a pick up truck that restricts or limits those freedoms granted by the constitution.

The Constitution giveth, the Code of Federal Regulations taketh away.