PDA

View Full Version : Close The Forums: 12 Hours, Get Off The Computer

UtahApocalypse
12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I propose that the Admin of this site shut it down Saturday for 12 hours. Like 10am-10pm EST

Your saying to yourselves right now "OMG, What is this guy thinking? "Oh Crap, Go Away Troll!"

Let me explain, We close the forums, turn off our computers, we get outside and hit the streets. Go Canvassing. Sure we are #1 on EVERYTHING online, but We WILL NOT win with out votes. Many people, especially those a bit older may not have ANY computer time ever. We need to get this message to the people. I think EVERYONE online already knows Ron Paul.

qwerty
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I AGREE!

We have over 5000 active members here....

Oliver
12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
+1 Even if I will miss it :D

torchbearer
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree, but the forum isn't going to be shut down, people need to be big boys and girls and take it upon themselves to get involved with their meet-ups and devote their time to local activities knowing that is what needs to be done for us to win.

michaelwise
12-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Shut down the heart of the Internet and the campaign?
Not even for 1 second!

hard@work
12-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah I actually like the idea.

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I positively OPPOSE this idea! We DO need to get out and canvass! We DO need to become delegates! But that should NOT be achieved by shutting down the LIFEBLOOD of the GRASSROOTS campaign! That would be a humanitarian DISASTER! People would be FURIOUS and some may leave altogether! You would drive a WEDGE between us and further DIVIDE us! The FREEDOM message brings us TOGETHER, it DOESN'T divide us! DON'T shut down the forums, or the forum as we know it will be FINISHED!

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Don't you think that might be just a little melodramatic, RPF?

brianbb98
12-17-2007, 02:16 PM
i think its a good idea. 12 hours away from here wouldnt hurt, and i may actually get something done at work... even if that may be making a Ron Paul banner in photoshop :)

JAlli41
12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
isn't individual freedom and responsibility what this whole thing is about, shut down the forums if you want, IMHO people should hit the pavement for Dr. Paul because they want to fight for their freedom, not because the message board told them to, in theory this is a good idea, I just don't know if it sides with the message we're trying to spread.

jnpg
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
get off the forums and get out IRL a little more. BUT I have 2 little babies that I am home with and I am not taking them out in the cold. BUT I do have my letters that I am writing and I try to make myself handwrite 2 letters before I can get on the forums. That was impossible yesterday though! DOH! So everyone- if you can get out and canvass- get with it- if you can go volunteer in NH or IA get on it! I can write letters, apply to be a delegate, email folks and digg the crap out of positive RP stuff.
I totally agree that we have to push harder, work longer and stay positive!

I think that we all keep thinking there is going to be a 'breakthrough' moment. A time when we could say- finally! easy street. However, it is becoming more and more apparent to me that we are going to have to win this in the trenches, digging and fighting for every bit of respect. Ron Paul and the revolution represent the truth- we will win in the end.

brumans
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
OMG, What is this guy thinking? Go Away Troll!

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Don't you think that might be just a little melodramatic, RPF?

Absoultely NOT! Do you SUPPORT people coming on here trying to SHUT DOWN the forum? Aren't we supposed to be all about FREEDOM and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! The OP here wants to FORCE his goodness on the rest of us like the NEO-CONS preach! That isn't what AMERICA is all about! We must NEVER sacrifice our PRINCIPLES for POLITICS! Not now! Not ever! I am going to go out and canvass later today! You should want to EMULATE me, but I will NOT tell you what to do and try to shove my way of life down your THROATS! I DON'T WANT TO RUN YOUR LIFE!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
This idea is how the government currently works.
Limit choices to control people.
Force people to do something because "it's in their best interest."

You on the right website man?

european
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
keep the international section open though :p

microsect
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
good idea!!!

DirtMcGirt
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
go out side... mix it up with the locals...

brianbb98
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Absoultely NOT! Do you SUPPORT people coming on here trying to SHUT DOWN the forum? Aren't we supposed to be all about FREEDOM and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! The OP here wants to FORCE his goodness on the rest of us like the NEO-CONS preach! That isn't what AMERICA is all about! We must NEVER sacrifice our PRINCIPLES for POLITICS! Not now! Not ever! I am going to go out and canvass later today! You should want to EMULATE me, but I will NOT tell you what to do and try to shove my way of life down your THROATS! I DON'T WANT TO RUN YOUR LIFE!

You sir are correct. I change my mind. This is how we've learned to live in todays world... no more self control, let the leaders make up our mind and run our lives. I do think we need to get out more though, we spend too much time talking about new money bombs and other candidates.

Nyte
12-17-2007, 02:36 PM

lol...

And how many people have you talked to today? or have you been sitting on your butt, hitting refresh every 30 seconds.

I like this idea. Besides, he's only proposing 12 hours... drama drama drama. OMG DONT TURN OFFS MA INTARNETS~!!!11!

UtahApocalypse
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
The negative responses here are the EXACT reason that it should be done. Some of you are too damned consumed with the forums to actually go out and do something. Imagine if you went to login and there was a message saying:

sorry the forums are temporally closed, feel free to get out of the house and support Ron Paul during this time. We will be back up and running later.

And its possible that the forum Admin could use the downtime for upgrades, clean up, and any other maintenance that may be needed as we have grown.

RonPaulFTFW
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
great idea.

we should have a blackout work day.

and put up a big statement about it for other people to see when they visit.

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
lol...

And how many people have you talked to today? or have you been sitting on your butt, hitting refresh every 30 seconds.

I like this idea. Besides, he's only proposing 12 hours... drama drama drama. OMG DONT TURN OFFS MA INTARNETS~!!!11!

Yep, pull the old I've done more than you card! I just said that I was going out canvassing later today! I have taken the steps to become a delegate in the very important state of IOWA! Don't assume that just because I'm on here right now and against this atrocious idea that I'm not doing my part! Never assume! It makes an ass out of u and me! I'm also against the government telling people what drugs they can and cannot put in their own bodies! Does that mean I would suddenly become a crack addict? Absolutely not! I'm for FREEDOM and PRESONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Not TYRANNY and RUNNIN PEOPLE'S LIVES!

terryp
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Yep, pull the old I've done more than you card! I just said that I was going out canvassing later today! I have taken the steps to become a delegate in the very important state of IOWA! Don't assume that just because I'm on here right now and against this atrocious idea that I'm not doing my part! Never assume! It makes an ass out of u and me! I'm also against the government telling people what drugs they can and cannot put in their own bodies! Does that mean I would suddenly become a crack addict? Absolutely not! I'm for FREEDOM and PRESONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Not TYRANNY and RUNNIN PEOPLE'S LIVES!

Turn off the forums for 12 hours.

I am so damn sore I can barley walk from being out
over the weekend putting out signs and waving.

If people here feel guilty, turn off your computer
and GOTV, that is what a lot of us do.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Hey RPF, calm down. I never said I thought shutting down the forums was a great idea. I just thought you might be being a bit melodramatic. I do agree with you that it should be a personal choice. As such, I think it's up to the owner & administrator of the forums what he chooses to do with his message board.

I like your principles, RPF. Good for you.

CJP
12-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I kicked this idea around a week or so ago, but decided to wait until after the tea part to bring it up again:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=45518

I don't think we need a total shutdown, we can at least just have a splash page that strongly "suggests" that we spend the day out in the 3D world.

I think we should do this weekly, every Saturday. See my signature for a suggested slogan.

Anyway, this is very serious, folks. We've raised the money. We've been all over the internet. There are maybe 100,000 or 200,000 enthusiastic supporters out there online, but when it comes to voting it won't mean squat. When all the sheep vote, our numbers will just be a drop in a bucket unless each of us can personally reach out to a hundred or so "regular folks" who simply don't follow politics on the internet.

Let do this. The time is now. We have only a few weeks until it is all over. If it takes shutting down for a while do get the message across, so be it.

Nyte
12-17-2007, 03:23 PM

RPF, we're on the same team, ok ;)

My response was rhetorical. I'm not directly accusing you of not doing your part. We're all here because we're obviously passionate about the cause.

UtahApocolypse's suggestion isn't directed to people like you. It's for those that need a little push.

I know that if I went to check the forums, and saw a message like that, I'd stop and think, "Who can I talk to that I haven't already talked to?"

jake
12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I positively OPPOSE this idea! We DO need to get out and canvass! We DO need to become delegates! But that should NOT be achieved by shutting down the LIFEBLOOD of the GRASSROOTS campaign! That would be a humanitarian DISASTER!

:rolleyes: dramatic much? It's a great idea.

Bradley in DC
12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
You better set up chapters of RPFAnonymous first! :o

DrNoZone
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
I agree, but the forum isn't going to be shut down, people need to be big boys and girls and take it upon themselves to get involved with their meet-ups and devote their time to local activities knowing that is what needs to be done for us to win.

Yep, people can make their own choices. Close the forums? Lame idea. It's the number one place for grassroots communication and coordination on the web. That's like closing down your base of operations in a war...bad idea.

Ronin
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I've said we all pledge to reduce our time in the forums by 30% to focus on things IRL or other online projects.

mconder
12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Now that we've had a good bombing run, it's about time for some troops on the ground! I agree with this!