PDA

View Full Version : How did Ron not get the endorsement from Home Schoolers ?

purepaloma
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Hello!!! ???? They gave the endorsement to Huck? (Just saw something on CNN)

Clearly NOBODY is as much of an advocate for the Home Schoolers than Ron Paul. See for yourself : http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/topic.php?id=13

ckhagen
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
what homeschoolers? there's more than one group...
link please.

wgadget
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Plus, Huckleberry got the NH NEA endorsement. And Huckleberry is against school vouchers, too.

Must be some uninformed homeschoolers, is all I can figure...

Janet0116
12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I would guess because a majority of homeschoolers are bible beaters.

Dequeant
12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Probably because they don't see Ron Paul as a "viable" candidate. This goes back to the media polls being an attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We'll convince them though.......when it matters.

bbachtung
12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Huckabee also enacted one of the nation's strictest home schooling laws in the country, at the urging of the teachers' unions (just look at http://www.ronpaul2008.com/homeschoolers).

Talldude1412
12-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I would guess because a majority of homeschoolers are bible beaters.

Thats terribly likely.....:(

I sometimes wish there was a magic wand you could wave that would make people rational and intelligent....

ckhagen
12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Sorry, but homeschoolers are by and large the most intelligent group of "Bible beaters" you'll find. As far as being educated about the "system" and wary of government intervention, you can hardly beat them. So... that's why I want to know which group. I don't see anything listed from the HSLDA... are we talking about on a national level or did they pull this out of some group of 20 people in a South Dakota homeschool co-op? Big differences.

Diana
12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I sent some info on Ron Paul's views to one homeschooling friend I know in Iowa, and she wrote back that he sounds "too good to be true" and that she fears for his life if he were to become president.

Another family though (that friend's sister) is absolutely brainwashed, and I doubt they'd even look at Ron Paul.

Troyhand
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds like the homeschoolers' organization, like the NRA, have sold out.
Strawmen at work.

Joey Wahoo
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't get that either. We are homeschooling parents, and my wife is active in the local and state organizations here. She's getting the word out.

My guess is that they chose to endorse someone who "has a chance to win."

Ridiculous of course, but thats probably the thinking.

Bison
12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Endorsements from organizations don't matter too much. I know lots of home school families that are going to vote for Ron Paul.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Is there any kind of homeschooling publication that we should advertise in? Do any of you homeschoolers know the best way to get the word out to homeschoolers?

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 02:07 PM
We also might not have gotten their endorsement, because the campaign probably didn't ask for it.

bbachtung
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Endorsements from organizations don't matter too much. I know lots of home school families that are going to vote for Ron Paul.

True, and completely in line with RP's philosophy (individuals have rights and responsibilities). Just because the bureaucrats in charge of an organization support someone doesn't mean that the rank-and-file do.

tfelice
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Ron Paul is not even on the radar screen of a lot of these groups/individuals that are handing out endorsements. To many, endorsing RP is about as meaningful as endorsing Alan Keyes, as they see neither as having a snowball's chance of winning the nomination.

hawkeyenick
12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
they have an agenda to push creationist/id myths, Ron won't ride that boat

steph3n
12-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry, but homeschoolers are by and large the most intelligent group of "Bible beaters" you'll find. As far as being educated about the "system" and wary of government intervention, you can hardly beat them. So... that's why I want to know which group. I don't see anything listed from the HSLDA... are we talking about on a national level or did they pull this out of some group of 20 people in a South Dakota homeschool co-op? Big differences.

don't speak in such generalizations. I am a proud homeschooler!

roversaurus
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I belong to the HSLDA. I get their publication. I do not understand how
they could endorse Huckabee.

But note the HSLDA is a non profit. There is an associated PAC which
did the endorsing. I've tried to find some contact information but I've been
unsuccessful so far.

random
12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I sometimes wish there was a magic wand you could wave that would make people rational and intelligent....A magic wand wielded by a rational and intelligent person? ;)

slantedview
12-17-2007, 02:26 PM
that is incredible.

the only explanation is that they're idiots.

LeonardK
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
what homeschoolers? there's more than one group...
link please.

He received the endorsement of Mike Farris from the HSLDA. It's not representative of the entire homeschooling community by any means. It is an evangelical-leaning group, and even many within HSLDA were unhappy with Farris's endorsement.

See http://www.lewrockwell.com/fisk/fisk32.html for an opinion of Farris's endorsement.

LeonardK
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
that is incredible.

the only explanation is that they're idiots.

Or, that you are, for for taking Huck's press release or the OP's word at face value.

ChelC
12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Don't discount homeschoolers based on HSLDA. One thing we homeschoolers have got on most is that we've learned how to research better than anyone. I know several homeschoolers personally who are huge Ron Paul supporters.

One private homeschool group endorsing Huck certainly doesn't mean much of anything. We tend to be fiercely independent people who guard our privacy, so we're a tough group to guage. The only real measure I have is my small circle, and they are Ron Paul, all the way.

Signed,
Bible beating Mormon homeschooling mom of two

daviddee
12-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Posticide.

DirtMcGirt
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
all political to back ucabee

LeonardK
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Exactly. We're homeschooling because we prefer to teach children to think for themselves, unlike sheeple. The HSLDA made an endorsement purely through a religious litmus test, without regard to actual educational policy, and shame on them for it.

moostraks
12-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Never thought I'd live to see the day when homeschoolers would back the same guy an NEA organization would. It is the evangelical mindset though to believe one of their own would not eat them for power. (forgive me for those intelligent evangelicals who can see through Huck)
Why, oh why, is it that running for office becomes a greater call to an individual then to fulfill their commitment they had as minister? To further this line of thinking, why is Huck's alternate view if he doesn't win, I think I'll go run a bait shop?? So hey I don't want to be a force spiritually as there is more power in politics, but if I lose the election, I don't even want to be a political inspiration??
As a homeschooling parent I would NEVER consider someone endorsed by the NEA in any way, shape, or form....

Ethek
12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
My wife homeschools our kids. She is on a Home school forum in KY that insists on being non political and secular in discussing homeschooling. Still she tells how post and recommendations for Ron keep coming up.

jarofclay
12-17-2007, 02:47 PM
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/homeschoolers/write-to-the-hslda/

LeonardK
12-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Another opinion of HSLDA's endorsement: http://homeschoolersforpaul.blogspot.com/2007/09/hslda-endorses-huckabee-why-not-ron.html

AgentOrange
01-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Only an estimated 5% of homeschoolers are members of HSLDA--they certainly do not speak for all homeschoolers--not even all "bible beating, creationist, super-religionist homeschoolers."

Look at the facts--HSLDA makes their money by people using them as homeschool legal insurance. If they support someone like Paul who will give homeschoolers freedom....then their is less need for membership in HSLDA and they lose their income. HSLDA PAC has selfishly supported a candidate known to be non-homeschool friendly (in 1999 their organization came out against Huckabee's law) because by doing so they increase their own revenue through increased legal problems for homeschoolers.

I posit that HSLDA supported Huckabee because they care more about their bottom line then homeschoolers.

Highstreet
01-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Here's one from Home-school.com

http://www.home-school.com/news/huckabee.html

It blasts Huckster and says Ron Paul is the best.

and he is winning hands down in their online poll.