PDA

View Full Version : Does Ron Paul have a chance against the Democrats in the primaries?

RonPaulStreetTeam
12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Ok guys, being new to voting and all I wrote this up because I live in a very democratic area (San Francisco / Oakland)

I hope this is right as for Ron Paul winning California.

is it? Or am I spreading disinfo?

http://ronpaulstreetteam.com/forums/index.php?topic=145.0

http://www.ronpaulstreetteam.com/images/ron-paul-vote-banner.gif (http://ronpaulstreetteam.com)

RonPaulStreetTeam
12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
dudes?

need answers.

user
12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like your post is about the primary, who cares about the Democrats for that?

For the general, my opinion is that Hillary would be the best to go up against. The GOP base hates her a lot more than anti-war Ron Paul.

Oh and it's by district for the primary, too.

Grandson of Liberty
12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
not sure i understand the original question. He's not running against the democrats in the primaries.

Unfortunately in California, you could put a monkey in a democrat suit and it would win.

Other than that- he's got a great chance! :)

Erazmus
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Primaries have nothing to do with the Dems. That being said, there is no one who could go head to head against Ron. No one. Whoever Ron faces in the general should just give up, because he’s going to wipe the floor with them. :)

WilliamC
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Ron Paul only needs to defeat the current Republican candidates to win the Primary. Once he does that then the strategy shifts to winning the General election against Clinton/Obama.

I don't know if California is an Open Primary State or not but find out if you have to be a Registered Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries. If so then the goal is to get as many Independents/Democrats as possible to register Republican by the deadline. If not the goal is just to get them to show up and vote!

William C Colley

user
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
not sure i understand the original question. He's not running against the democrats in the primaries.

Unfortunately in California, you could put a monkey in a democrat suit and it would win.

Other than that- he's got a great chance! :)
Just to clarify to everyone, we are not the same person. ;) :D

stewie3128
12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok guys, being new to voting and all I wrote this up because I live in a very democratic area (San Francisco / Oakland)

I hope this is right as for Ron Paul winning California.

Actually, because there are so few republicans in your area (and the ones who are there tend to be more moderate/liberal than the Redstate "base") Ron's best chances at winning delegates are actually in places like the SF bay area. I believe that the three least Republican districts in the entire country are downtown SF, Alameda and Manhattan, NY.

CA is a closed primary, so Republicans vote for Republican candidates, and Democrats vote for Democratic candidates - all the primaries are about is coming up with a nominee to run against the opposing party. The GENERAL election in November is where the two parties go head-to-head.

user
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah, wasn't there a story about some RP supporters canvassing in SF and other places with very few Republicans, to try to pick up those districts?

RonPaulStreetTeam
12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Actually, because there are so few republicans in your area (and the ones who are there tend to be more moderate/liberal than the Redstate "base") Ron's best chances at winning delegates are actually in places like the SF bay area. I believe that the three least Republican districts in the entire country are downtown SF, Alameda and Manhattan, NY.

CA is a closed primary, so Republicans vote for Republican candidates, and Democrats vote for Democratic candidates - all the primaries are about is coming up with a nominee to run against the opposing party. The GENERAL election in November is where the two parties go head-to-head.

Ok I think you answered my question.
I live in Alameda County and everyone says "he doesnt have a chance"

so what I'm saying is he is running against REPUBLICANS, NOT Hillary or Obama.

Who cares if they have 10 times his votes.
As long as he wins the primary we're good.

so as I had the numbers he would Win California or any closed primary?
what about open primaries? how does that work?
Same thing? as long as he has more then the other (R) he wins the state?

user
12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
The number of votes any Democrat gets in the primary will have nothing to do with whether or not Ron Paul wins any district in CA. All we need to do in each district is get more Republicans to vote for Ron Paul than any other Republican. For each district that we win, we get a delegate. It's split up by district, not winner-take-all for the state.

WilliamC
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Try and coordinate with Meetup groups in your area, I'd be surprised if they weren't already on this.

RonPaulStreetTeam
12-17-2007, 01:09 PM
They are.

I'm just trying to explain to people that you're right.
Ron Paul does NOT have a chance to get as many votes as Hillary or Obama in the primary election.

However he does NOT have to in order to win!
he only has to beat the war mongers which he IS.

right?

and once he is on the general ticket they can not ignore him and he will own Hillary or Obama in a one on one.

However I am not living in a dream world and do realize the primaries are going to be fixed and there is no way in hell the rulers of thew world will let Ron Paul win the primaries.

no, I do not tell people that, I lie to them and tell them he has a chance and our votes count and we live in a country that holds fair elections.

Alawn
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Having not many Republicans here in CA is good for us. That just means we need less people to win and the republicans here are probably not huge neocons. The other good thing is that the amount of delegates is based on the general population not how many republicans there are so if we win a lot of districts we will get a huge amount of delegates. CA is winner take all (second place gets nothing) but by district instead of state and I believe each district gets 3 delegates so 159. Then the winner of the state gets 11 and 3 are from state party leaders so 173 total just from CA.

user
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
They are.

I'm just trying to explain to people that you're right.
Ron Paul does NOT have a chance to get as many votes as Hillary or Obama in the primary election.

However he does NOT have to in order to win!
he only has to beat the war mongers which he IS.

right?

and once he is on the general ticket they can not ignore him and he will own Hillary or Obama in a one on one.

However I am not living in a dream world and do realize the primaries are going to be fixed and there is no way in hell the rulers of thew world will let Ron Paul win the primaries.

no, I do not tell people that, I lie to them and tell them he has a chance and our votes count and we live in a country that holds fair elections.
Right.