PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality: need response

t_barr
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Hello, I just joined to ask for help. A poster on the CBS board is raising heck over Ron Paul's stance on Net Neutrality. I'm not the one to answer him on this subject. Would someone well versed on the subject please respond? Here's the link;
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/17/politics/main3624831.shtml#ccmm

thanks!

DJ RP
12-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Start by showing them this http://www.dontregulate.org/

The idea of the goverment getting it's hand into the Internet pie terrifies me more than most things. The idea that the PEOPLE would want it and encourage it to be voted in scares me even more.

steph3n
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I am a hosting provider and VERY MUCH against "net neutrality" because it is NOT neutrality, it is regulation

jd603
12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes, this is important for people to see.

It's slightly more complicated, the big 4-5 telecoms are controlling too much these days, but more regulation would only slow it temporarily. Markets need to be opened up more to competition , so if the big guys start censoring or doing things the people don't like, other companies can step up and offer competing services that DO what the people want...

Currently FCC/PUC regulations make it hard for competing companies to get started... it's still possible, just harder. We need changes to increase the number of competing companies but Net Neutrality is no answer to that....

Start by showing them this http://www.dontregulate.org/

The idea of the goverment getting it's hand into the Internet pie terrifies me more than most things. The idea that the PEOPLE would want it and encourage it to be voted in scares me even more.

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Less REGULATION! We've seen the tv, radio, and print media IGNORE Ron Paul's $6 million day! What happens when the GOVERNMENT takes over our last free means of communication, the INTERNET! The Ron Paul freedom message would have been STOPPED before it started! NO MORE GOVERNMENT CONTROL OR REGULATION!!!!!!!!!

specsaregood
12-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Nobody says it better than Ron Paul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7_h_OyTI0

"There is a higher moral high ground in the sense that protecting liberty is more important than passing a bill on the internet"....

DirtMcGirt
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
welcome aboard t barr

newbitech
12-17-2007, 12:39 PM
the concept of net neutrality is something we all want! Ron Paul is not against the concept! Ron Paul and I am against the concept of the government try to remain neutral on anything besides life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Stop the Government from deciding what net neutrality is and get rid of laws and taxes that prevent you or I from opening our own internet on the backbone!

Break up the regional monopolies of vital infrastructure and allow companies to compete for the local government right aways that are required to build infrastructure! Let the local governments decide on infrastructure planning and who gets to compete!

Net neutrality laws on the federal level seals the deal for infrastructure monopolization on the Federal level. Great concept that occurs naturally in a free market. The Federal Government will do exactly the opposite of net neutrality on accident by codifying laws that giant regional monopolies can litigate for years. Small start ups will never be able to compete in the court rooms if it means going through Federal courts to get approval for city level infrastructure planning!

t_barr
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, I gave it my best shot. Fortunately, the topic never came up again. Thanks for the links. I think I managed to kill some lies that came up later. It would have been nice to have had some 'professional' help on that board though :)