PDA

View Full Version : Legal Questions...

UtahApocalypse
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I have heard a few people report issues with the Police while handing out fliers on public property. Does anyone on here have a legal background or resource that could put together a one page on our legal rights? I have heard different examples such as while walking a parade route, sitting a table at a park, and a few others. My main intention is our group plans to set a table up on a sidewalk area that will be allowing public camping for the 24th of July parade (Huge holiday in Utah) We also want to walk up and down the route of the parade passing out the push cards. I read the recent article about the Florida case and a few things but want something consiose that could be cited if a issue comes up. Also any other advice.

beermotor
07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
It differs from state to state, so you likely won't get it all on one page, heh. You need to check with your local ordinances to see if you need a permit to do that, etc.

Search for your town on Municode.com in their online library and you should be able to find out what you need to do.

LibertyCzar
07-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Campaigning is a form of speech. The Supreme Court has held that political speech is protected. However, the government can regulate the "how, when, and where" of that speech. For example, if you want to have a rally for something, they can say you can do it at 4:00 at that corner.