PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines (Iowa) Register still ignoring Paul

nevesis
12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
EDIT:

Kathie, political editor, replied and informed me that they are on their way to coverage his press conference and would fully report it in tomorrow's paper.

walt
12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
calling

Jobarra
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Isn't this the same paper that has ENDORSED McCain?

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Isn't this the same paper that has ENDORSED McCain?

Yes.

TwiLeXia
12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
sad... well im still gonna email!!

Bergie Bergeron
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
That ad idea in the Register wasn't so bad...

Daswiz
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Don't get your hopes up, the Des Moines Register is run by big media, the Gannet Corp, with several board members having close ties to the Clinton administration, most notably Donna Shalala who worked with Bill Clinton in 93'. They just screwed Kucinich over.

"The Des Moines Register used "exclusion tactics" during the December 14, 2007 Democratic Debate. When Presidential hopeful Dennis Kucinich was barred from attending the Democratic Debate, on the grounds that his Iowa Campaign HQ was home based rather than in a "storefront" or office building. Controversially, Alan Keyes, A Republican Presidential Candidate, was allowed into the Republican Debate, Despite not having an office or a full-time campaign employee in the State of Iowa."

Jobarra
12-17-2007, 12:11 PM
If an ad is put in there, hopefully it has a few lines criticizing the endorsement of McCain

nevesis
12-17-2007, 12:16 PM
That ad idea in the Register wasn't so bad...

That's what I thought until I contacted the Register myself for details and they guy specifically told me, "don't think that buying this ad will result in editorial coverage for your candidate."

dude58677
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Since day one the Des Moines Register has had a clear distaste for Ron Paul.

Dr. Paul was not included in the exhaustive viewpoints/ratings chart on their editorial pages. Even Tancredo was included on these. The Register responded to our complaints with "Dr. Paul has received significant news coverage in the Register."

However, as of that point the Register had published a single letter to the editor re: Ron Paul and that was it. They did follow up to our complaints with a brief story which they picked up from a newswire. And then that was it... two articles.

Meanwhile Clinton makes the front page almost daily, and almost all the other candidates are mentioned at least a few times a week.

Fast-forward to today.. Ron is in Iowa today, making a speech. He just set the record for largest single-day fundraising haul in all of US history. No mention in the Register.

I think we need to put some pressure on the Register. Here's what I have:

Political editor: Kathie Obradovich | kobradov@dmreg.com | 515-284-8126, 515-554-1071 (cell)

EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR CAROL HUNTER (515) 284-8020 or chunter@dmreg.com.
VICE PRESIDENT, EDITOR CAROLYN WASHBURN (515) 284-8502 or cwashbur@dmreg.com
PRESIDENT AND PUBLISHER LAURA HOLLINGSWORTH (515) 284-8041 or publisher@dmreg.com

DM Register political forum (let's make our presence known): http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3ad24d698a-c5dc-4ea1-8ae4-1a7b05fc9f5dForum%3a42de3fba-7af0-4593-9efc-ed920d8070e7&category=PluckForum

Letters to the Editor (everyone write a letter or two a week?): letters@dmreg.com, P.O. Box 957, Des Moines IA 50306-0957

Reader Submitted News (I just copy/paste articles from real newspapers in and click submit...): http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=getpublished01

Please keep it tasteful, but let's light 'em up with Ron Paul content.

They endorsed McCain and Hilliary. Does it suprise you they ignore Ron Paul?

falsinator
12-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Ever since his little "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" number, I cannot see how anyone with a conscience could support McCain. I mean come on! I realize that he was trying to be funny, but if he becomes president then just try to imagine the danger we would all be in if he decided to pull something like that on the world stage. The fact that a paper with so much influence on the election would endorse McCain and ignore Dr. Paul sickens me.

MsDoodahs
12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
http://backissues.cjrarchives.org/year/91/3/register.asp

"When Gannett bought the paper for a reported $ 165 million in 1985, circulation was 255,000 daily, 385,000 Sunday.

In March, the paper reported, those figures had fallen to 209,000 and 343,000"

That's from a 1991 article.

From Wiki, circ today is 146,050 Daily, 233,229 Sunday

As you can see, the Des Moines Register has paid a heavy price for its ongoing bias, and intentionally ignoring Dr. Paul's success does one thing: it furthers the decline of the Des Moines Register.

"Granpa, what was a "newspaper?"

:)

dirka
12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Has somone called that biotch??

Bergie Bergeron
12-17-2007, 12:30 PM
That's what I thought until I contacted the Register myself for details and they guy specifically told me, "don't think that buying this ad will result in editorial coverage for your candidate."
No but at least it's going to bring Dr. Paul to the readers of the Register who might not know about him.

webber53
12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Since day one the Des Moines Register has had a clear distaste for Ron Paul.

Dr. Paul was not included in the exhaustive viewpoints/ratings chart on their editorial pages. Even Tancredo was included on these. The Register responded to our complaints with "Dr. Paul has received significant news coverage in the Register."

However, as of that point the Register had published a single letter to the editor re: Ron Paul and that was it. They did follow up to our complaints with a brief story which they picked up from a newswire. And then that was it... two articles.

Meanwhile Clinton makes the front page almost daily, and almost all the other candidates are mentioned at least a few times a week.

Fast-forward to today.. Ron is in Iowa today, making a speech. He just set the record for largest single-day fundraising haul in all of US history. No mention in the Register.

I think we need to put some pressure on the Register. Here's what I have:

Political editor: Kathie Obradovich | kobradov@dmreg.com | 515-284-8126, 515-554-1071 (cell)

EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR CAROL HUNTER (515) 284-8020 or chunter@dmreg.com.
VICE PRESIDENT, EDITOR CAROLYN WASHBURN (515) 284-8502 or cwashbur@dmreg.com
PRESIDENT AND PUBLISHER LAURA HOLLINGSWORTH (515) 284-8041 or publisher@dmreg.com

DM Register political forum (let's make our presence known): http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3ad24d698a-c5dc-4ea1-8ae4-1a7b05fc9f5dForum%3a42de3fba-7af0-4593-9efc-ed920d8070e7&category=PluckForum

Letters to the Editor (everyone write a letter or two a week?): letters@dmreg.com, P.O. Box 957, Des Moines IA 50306-0957

Reader Submitted News (I just copy/paste articles from real newspapers in and click submit...): http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=getpublished01

Please keep it tasteful, but let's light 'em up with Ron Paul content.

This newspaper and others like it are NOT Ron Paul supporters or allies.
Why do you think they continually ignore him? The Des Moines Register
is NOT going to change it's position on Ron Paul even if there computers
and mailboxes are overloaded with our cries for fairness and balanced reporting
these biased news agencies are not about to piss of the constituents
and shareholders because we don't like them ignoring our candidate!

You are wasting time and energies by even thinking about them.
Much less letting them know what you think about them.
There are more ways to skin a cat. Have you ever heard of that old saying?

It is time to consider every alternative method i.e."gimmick" to getting Ron Pauls
name out there. This forum is full of talented and educated minds that are coming up
with concrete and innovative ideas to counter the MSM. Put your efforts into one of them
and start kicking their (MSM) ass! That's just my 2 cents anyway.

jeremycobert
12-17-2007, 12:59 PM
here in Iowa you don't want the DMR to endorse you if you're a republican. in fact this will hurt him with the conservative base that comes out to caucus.