PDA

View Full Version : We have 24 hours to Stop Big Media

CurtisLow
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
In less than 24 hours, the Federal Communications Commission plans to vote through rules that will let the largest media companies swallow up more local newspapers and TV stations.

If you care about the dismal state of the media, we need you to stop what you're doing and lend a hand.

We need to get at least 100 calls to every U.S. senator before 5:00 p.m. today asking them to pressure the FCC to delay tomorrow's vote. The Media Ownership Act of 2007 (S. 2332) is waiting for a vote on the Senate floor. Your call will make a real difference.

We have 24 hours to Stop Big Media. Call your Senators today.

Calling your senators is really easy and extremely effective in showing support for legislation. Here's what to say:

"I am calling to urge the Senator to support the Media Ownership Act of 2007 (S. 2332). This important legislation will stop the FCC's plan to further consolidate media across America. The FCC's plan will drown out the few remaining independent voices and create less local reporting and quality journalism. Thank you."

joelfarm
12-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't want to rain on your effort, CurtisLow, but NOTHING we do will change the sellout of the airwaves. Do you not realize that they had hearings for months, around the nation (only because there was a law mandating it), and the hearings were PACKED with people demanding more public access, less centralization, etc. Congress had hearings after the head of the commision admitted to the NY Times that his mind was already made up before the decesion, and when called before them he all but said #@^! you all, I'll do what I want.

I'm tellin' you, they are sealing the coffin on liberty.

user
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I saw a report about this on PBS (Bill Moyers' Journal I think) and it looks like the FCC has made up its mind. Anyway, the real solution is to end inflation and limit government so we won't even have to worry about this.

CurtisLow
12-18-2007, 05:59 PM
It happened. A few minutes ago, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin and his two fellow GOP commissioners approved new rules that will unleash a flood of media consolidation across America. The rules will further consolidate local media markets -- taking away independent voices in cities already woefully short on local news and investigative journalism.

In 2003, the FCC tried to do the same thing, but millions of people demanded that Congress reject the FCC's rules. And they did. It's time to do it again.

We need 100,000 people to get Congress to reverse the FCC's rules right now.

Sign Our Open Letter to Congress

http://www.stopbigmedia.com/