PDA

View Full Version : How Much Was Raised?

F3d
12-17-2007, 10:24 AM

bjneiman
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
My question too. I just saw the press release and was disapointed they didn't include the offline donations. Maybe they are still working on the final count and wanted to put something out in the meantime?

I calculated we pulled in 6.45 million...

kylejack
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
6.02 million.

xexkxex
12-17-2007, 10:32 AM
The 400,000 was from several days and could be counted as part of the total for the 16th.

I read that from someone who had actually talk to the campaign.

BillyDkid
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Remember thinking that 12 million was way too ambitious??? Well, at least I did. Shows you what I know.

xexkxex
12-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Just shows you how bad ass bookies are...

The national average of over/under bets were at 6mil ;)

I think it was over by just 20+ thousand....very impressive.

merlin
12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Yet the official campaign says the average contribution from each of $58,000 donors was only $50, which would be under $3 million total. Do you think they're talking about the median contribution (most frequently occurring) as opposed to the mean or true average (which would have to have been more like $104)?

kylejack
12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Yet the official campaign says the average contribution from each of $58,000 donors was only $50, which would be under $3 million total. Do you think they're talking about the median contribution (most frequently occurring) as opposed to the mean or true average (which would have to have been more like $104)?
Citation? The only place I saw the $50 figure was specifically mentioned as the median in a media report as told by Jesse Benton.

Teenforpaul08
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Yesterday, we had 11.2 million...Today we 18.2 million. 7 million raised yesterday?

kylejack
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Yesterday, we had 11.2 million...Today we 18.2 million. 7 million raised yesterday?
No. Off-line donations from the previous weeks was added in.

mport1
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM

They were talking about the median, and median isn't the most frequently occurring number, it is the middle number in a string of numbers. You are thinking of the mode.

Tberrie
12-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Well, if you want to argue statistical semantics, they could have been referring to the mode, the figure occurring with the greatest frequency, or the median donation, which would be the middle number in a ordered list of numbers (ie 1, 3, 5; 3=median)..

But they could use the word "Average" as a commonality, referring to what most individuals donated.....

Other than that, he got 6 mln +. I don't personally care where he got it from. Thats only means more fun in iowa!

NinjaPirate
12-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Why didn't they add in the $400k??? They added the offline donations before the tea party, ugh, that's frustrating..

wfd40
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Why didn't they add in the $400k??? They added the offline donations before the tea party, ugh, that's frustrating..

they did..

quit listening to the guys who bet the under

;)

NinjaPirate
12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
they did..

quit listening to the guys who bet the under

;)

No, they reported on the HQ site! :/

-------------------------

Candidate has most successful fundraising day in American political history

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA -- Congressman Ron Paul’s presidential campaign had a record fundraising day yesterday.

In a 24-hour period on December 16, the campaign raised $6.026 million dollars, surpassing the one-day record of $5.7 million held by John Kerry.

During the day, over 58,000 people contributed to Dr. Paul’s campaign, including 24,940 first-time donors. Over 118,000 Americans have donated to the campaign in the fourth quarter.

The $6 million one-day total means the campaign has raised over $18 million this quarter, far exceeding its goal of $12 million.
"We have the right message: freedom, peace and prosperity," said Ron Paul 2008 campaign chairman Kent Snyder. "We also have the right candidate: Dr. Ron Paul."

Congressman Paul will be campaigning in Iowa today and will be holding a press conference at 12:45 pm at the Des Moines Marriott in the Des Moines Room

merlin
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Citation? The only place I saw the $50 figure was specifically mentioned as the median in a media report as told by Jesse Benton.

Fair enough; but isn't Benton the campaign's communications director? In any case, my point is simply that, in an effort to portray the average/median contributor as a small-potatoes, little guy, we risk seriously understating the size of average donations, which had to have been a good deal more than 50 bucks. Maybe though, I'm making a distinction not worthy of the effort. I'm sure that many folks who gave 10 or 20 dollars sacrificed as much or more than those who could afford ten times that amount.

kylejack
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Fair enough; but isn't Benton the campaign's communications director? In any case, my point is simply that, in an effort to portray the average/median contributor as a small-potatoes, little guy, we risk seriously understating the size of average donations, which had to have been a good deal more than 50 bucks.
Campaign fund-raising efforts are more impressive when they come from a lot of small donors, not a few big donors.