PDA

View Full Version : How are we doing in the African American community

Chomsky
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
What can we do to reach out better to the African-American communtiy. All of my African American friends who have heard his message love him, who doesn't really! But I think there is a danger that this campaign is being painted as just white males.
Thoughts?

zorotrav
12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
...donating Jan 15, may change how others feel about the white maleness of the campaign... ~shurgs~

maybe we could just do a better job of sharing the Message with African-American communtiy, because the message is the tool. A very powerful one at that.

Ben Elliott
12-17-2007, 10:07 AM
well you got at least one of them here.

<me>

jb4ronpaul
12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
everyone has to go after the African American vote agressively. I have found much love for Ron Paul there. So many are anti tax and anti war, and in many cases anti fed. Ron Paul is the perfect fit. I encourage everyone to go door to door in these communities and spread the message. This could be one of the keys to winning.

curtisag
12-17-2007, 10:09 AM
It's interesting to note that Ron Paul was polling at about 20% of black likely primary voters in New Hampshire a couple months ago. Not all polls reveal that sort of internal information, so it could be 30% now easily.

I agree, this is extremely important for the South Carolina primary. Black voters are usually ignored by Republican candidates, so wouldn't it be amazing if Ron actually made an effort connect with black voters? That would completely disrupt the false idea he's a racist. I believe his message on the inflation tax and ending the drug war would resonate best with the black community.

Eleutheros
12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I keep telling yall, but no one here is listening:

Get a Ron Paul endorsement from Tavis Smiley, and I guarantee you the African American support will go through the freaking roof!!

When Tavis talks, African-Americans listen.

(And I'm not just saying that because Tavis is a fellow Nupe, either!) ;) :p

mortepa
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I was excitedly surprised when I was sign waving at how many black folks were giving us honks. It was awesome!

On a side note, I was equally impressed with how much of a response we had from women driving by themselves. Most of the time they just waved to us instead of honking, but still the support was enlightening.

I'm telling you that if this mostly liberal town (Madison, WI) can garner the responses we had last Friday' sign waving, it is a very good sign for Dr. Paul here...not only for the black community, but ALL of us here in the midwest!!!

Coola
12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Interesting you brought this up because I've been trying to reach out as well, and one of the most favorable videos as an 'intro' to Dr. Paul's message is the "Don't Be THAT Girl" ad:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PCSTHykU8dU

Which I humbly made a homepage on my father's laptop.

rockwell
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
The fact is that blacks vote in a block. The last presidential election showed that when 90% of the black vote went to Kerry. I think that getting them to switch is something you might be able to do for a second term, but they are too firmly entrenched in their voting habits to change it with 11 months remaining, better to concetrate on those who've bever voted or who have dropped out of the process.

And since white males are the single largest voting block, why would you be so dismissive of them in order to pander to a group that is unlikely to switch party affiliation?

mconder
12-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Have a money bomb in honor of MLK's birthday. Even for all the good he did, he was still a communist, so maybe not the best match for Ron Paul.

Chomsky
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm actually in Milwaukee, and its awesome that in some predominately African-American neighborhoods I have already started to see Dr. Paul's signs pop up here and their. I've been thinking from the beginning that the white male has been connected to Dr. Paul just because we make up the largest percentage of people that troll the internet for hours everyday:p...therefore we were the first to find him.

Kregener
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
The first thing you can do is quit calling them "African - Americans".

They are Americans.

Chomsky
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
The fact is that blacks vote in a block. The last presidential election showed that when 90% of the black vote went to Kerry. I think that getting them to switch is something you might be able to do for a second term, but they are too firmly entrenched in their voting habits to change it with 11 months remaining, better to concetrate on those who've bever voted or who have dropped out of the process.

And since white males are the single largest voting block, why would you be so dismissive of them in order to pander to a group that is unlikely to switch party affiliation?

You are underestimating the power of the message my friend, and that is very unfortunate.

Chomsky
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM

They are Americans.
OK Stephen Colbert, I forgot that you don't see race or color.

walt
12-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Just yesterday I had a great conversation with a minority leader audience. The people I talked to were angry when they learned of Ron Paul's message and that this man's message has been hidden from them by the MSM.

The inflation tax, regressive taxes and the lack of tuth in media are all things that could rally people to Ron's side.

I hope that many places will not have enough Republican ballots in inner city areas come election day in your state. Whoops - that is a problem we need to call boards of elections and fix.

voytechs
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Most black voters around here are going for Obama. We had sign waving in front of Syracuse U and all the black people we talked to just replied one word Obama. Thats in Syracuse NY.

Ridiculous
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM

They are Americans.

Of coarse they are, but black americans, african americans, or whatever you want to call them ARE a group of people. When you market you have to pay attention to groups or you will fail. Marketing is all about finding out what works with different groups and demographics. It isn't being collectivist it is just being realistic. It is a very basic and realistic marketing question to ask, how can we reach the _____ demographic?

If you were a marking executive for a big company, and your product wasn't a big seller in the black community. What the hell would you call that market in a board meeting if you didn't want to call them black americans or african americans?

manny
12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Every person, regardless of color, who has a child either in the military or considering joining ought to be voting for RP.

The simple fact is that a disproportionately large number of black people are in the armed forces so yes this should mean many will support RP.

His oppostion to inflation and the war on drugs should be important too.

Todd
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Have a money bomb in honor of MLK's birthday. Even for all the good he did, he was still a communist, so maybe not the best match for Ron Paul.

I read earlier that's been suggested. I second that.

mavtek
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I tried making October the African American outreach month, I got no help.....

atilla
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
ron paul will end the war on crack. and for our white trash friends, ron paul will end the war on on meth.

unklejman
12-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Business allowed to refuse service based on color <-- Biggest hump to overcome.

spivey378
12-17-2007, 11:17 AM
hit up barbershops with taxfree tips slim jims

Chomsky
12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
hit up barbershops with taxfree tips slim jims
stereotype much?

Nailhead
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/236/453349460_298e9cb9d5.jpg

RevolutionSD
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
This is pretty tough when you have a black democrat in the top tier.

However, I believe that eventually Paul will get a good percentage of the africa-american vote.

IHaveaDream
12-17-2007, 11:34 AM
So what's wrong with this idea...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=57734

Carole
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I disagree with you, but mainly on the basis that Collectivism is precisely what Ron Paul is against and I happen to agree with that. Every American needs to be treated as an individual.

Yes, it is how marketing works-divide and conquer mentality, just like politicians and the rest of government. The bokk "The Red Web" explores how this all began in the early part of the century as with unions. Divide and conquer is what the other candidates do and is the reason they must think about their responses. Dr. Paul simply responds with honesty. I believe as Dr. Paul believes that most Americans appreciate honesty more than pandering and are intelligent enough to know the difference.

Thnking people, regardless of which group into which you wish to lump them, will always think for themselves and that is a great part of Dr. Paul's message. To go against that would be pandering to groupism and rejecting Dr. Paul's philosophy.

He, in his speeches, says and does nothing different to attract a particular group. He never flip-flops and that is the danger of trying to appeal to special groups of any kind.

So personally, I believe it is detrimental to massage the message for that purpose. It is absolutely that the message stand on its own.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I have no idea what race most people are on this board and when you think about it, that's pretty cool.

However, I find it very interesting that after Ben Elliott in post 3, told us he was African-American, that no one ever asked him what he thought. We just go on and proceed to say what we each think is the best way to get the word out to African-Americans. No one apparently even considered asking Ben, who just might know more about this subject than those of us from another race. ;)

Highstreet
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Have a money bomb in honor of MLK's birthday.

Their Civil Rights records and Character are a Match!!!!

Ridiculous
12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I disagree with you, but mainly on the basis that Collectivism is precisely what Ron Paul is against and I happen to agree with that. Every American needs to be treated as an individual.

Yes, it is how marketing works-divide and conquer mentality, just like politicians and the rest of government. The bokk "The Red Web" explores how this all began in the early part of the century as with unions. Divide and conquer is what the other candidates do and is the reason they must think about their responses. Dr. Paul simply responds with honesty. I believe as Dr. Paul believes that most Americans appreciate honesty more than pandering and are intelligent enough to know the difference.

Thnking people, regardless of which group into which you wish to lump them, will always think for themselves and that is a great part of Dr. Paul's message. To go against that would be pandering to groupism and rejecting Dr. Paul's philosophy.

He, in his speeches, says and does nothing different to attract a particular group. He never flip-flops and that is the danger of trying to appeal to special groups of any kind.

So personally, I believe it is detrimental to massage the message for that purpose. It is absolutely that the message stand on its own.

You don't have to change the message or pander, but different parts of the message will appeal to different groups of people. Marketing is not stereotyping. It is using demographic data to learn what appeals best to different market segments and exploit it.

Putting people in groups for the purpose of marketing is absolutely necessary no matter if you are selling a candy bar or a candidate.

Johncjackson
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM

You could say the same thing about White Males, Christians, or any "group" you want to label people.

Frankly, I am surprised so many blatantly collectivist people support RP and yet how dismissive you are of other perceived collectivists.

But it's great to have a "big tent."

pacelli
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Look at the values voters debate that was held at Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD. Didn't see that on the mainstream channels? Only 3 or 4 of the candidates showed up, one of them was Ron Paul. The so-called "frontrunners" snubbed the entire debate, their racism shining through--then the mainstream media doesn't air it. This speaks volumes.

NewEnd
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I like the term black folk.

And the war on drugs, man, watching cops pisses me off so much when I see some black guy randomly stopped, searched, adn hauled off to jail because he has some marijuana in his pocket.. (same with white guys too)

Leroy_Jenkems
12-22-2007, 11:52 PM

If there is a semi-successful money bomb on this day and it does receive media attention, most journalists and reporters probably wouldn't even bring up the point of MLK having been a communist. A money bomb on MLK day would speak volumes (in an indirect way, more to rouse curiosity) to what the Ron Paul Revolution is all about - FREEDOM.

Now for a few relevant ideological quotes of the day:

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

"Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows." Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called 'diversity' actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist. We should understand that racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty." - Ron Paul, 4/18/07

"We don't get our rights because we're gays, or women, or minorities; we get our rights from our Creator as individuals, so every individual should be treated the same way." - Ron Paul

You probably know where I got those last three quotes.:)

libertythor
12-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I believe the racial voting block phenomena will change over time. That will be the best indicator of positive change in America.

The demographic makeup of Ron Paul supporters is very difficult to guage because race isn't a basis for his general platform. Thats the beauty of it. The big tent of liberty has been erected; now they all will come. :)

AtomiC
12-23-2007, 12:00 AM
All my niggas love him. :D

TwiLeXia
12-23-2007, 12:02 AM

no one sees him as a communist tho. in fact no one gives a shit he is one. all that matters is that he fought for black rights, he's a hero to all black and even all white ppl

angrydragon
12-23-2007, 12:08 AM
RON PAUL: Why Blacks & People Of Color Should Vote For Him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ji_Ft23BDw