PDA

View Full Version : MSM strategy of labeling Paul a libertarian will backfire.

James R
12-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Since the dictionary definition of libertarian is basically someone who loves liberty with a passion, those who label him a libertarian with a negative tone back themselves in a corner of being considered "anti-libertarian". All this will do is popularize libertarianism. Even "worse" (from the perspective of the MSM), the Libertarian party will all see the label "libertarian" with him and their 2 to 6 million votes may mostly go to Ron Paul. Those votes alone are enough to win the Republican primaries!

TVMH
12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Since the dictionary definition of libertarian is basically someone who loves liberty with a passion, those who label him a libertarian with a negative tone back themselves in a corner of being considered "anti-libertarian". All this will do is popularize libertarianism. Even "worse" (from the perspective of the MSM), the Libertarian party will all see the label "libertarian" with him and their 2 to 6 million votes may mostly go to Ron Paul. Those votes alone are enough to win the Republican primaries!

Good point.

I liked the way Dr. Paul addressed this by saying the Constitution, itself, is necessarily libertarian because it is meant to protect liberty. :)

Midnight77
12-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Old Media. Old Media.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-17-2007, 03:55 AM
i wish just once he would say...

RP - "alright, that's it. i'm sick and tired of this question. yes, i have libertarian beliefs because i believe in liberty. this is a fundamental principle of our nation's constitution. do you believe in liberty?"

interviewer - "um.... uh, yes, i do."

RP - "then don't you also have libertarian beliefs?"

interviewer - "well, yes, i guess you could say that."

RP - "but doesn't that mean you need to belong to the libertarian party, or are you a registered republican or democrat?"

interviewer - "alright, i get your point. so you raised 6.3 million dollars?"

nobody would dare ask him this again if they knew he would put them into such a hard corner.

ValidusCustodiae
12-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately, the media has been portraying Libertarians as nuts for a long time.

Austin
12-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Old Media. Old Media.

What's the reason for the recent surge for this name?

NerveShocker
12-17-2007, 05:28 AM
It's what everyone calls them now.. they are the old media, its a fact. Online news is going up in popularity.. TV news is dropping drastically.

Nihilist23
12-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Unfortunately, the media has been portraying Libertarians as nuts for a long time.

With success too. Most people don't run to their dictionary to look it up; rather they have a conditioned knee-jerk reaction to think libertarians are extreme and nutty.