PDA

View Full Version : Iowa TV Special A Waste

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I watched the half-hour Ron Paul TV special scheduled to air in Iowa the weekend of Dec. 22-23 and found it disappointing. It can be viewed in two parts at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNWHmiGj-k and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wekzQrQfacg.

The first twenty minutes are clips of a stump speech decorated with an Iowa straw poll theme, intercut with details of Dr. Paul speaking at his desk. The last ten minutes or so then switch to a frenetic mess of two minute commercials that have nothing to do with each other. At the end of it all, I thought that even though I understand the message, it does poor service in introducing RP to strangers. It does not have a beginning, middle and end. It does not say what it will tell you and then tell you and then say what it told you. It does not present a coherent message introducing RP. The best I could say for it is that it took a ten minute stump speech, intercut the desk talk to get it to twenty minutes, and then had to kill the last ten minutes they already paid for. View it for yourself and please post your analysis. You can hold the ad hominem attacks, but if you like it please say why.

It has been much commented on the forums that the radio and TV ads created by the official campaign are not worthy of Dr. Paul. Grassroots professionals such as Jeremiah Black and eLiberty are setting the standard. I hope the campaign is not stuck with poor media work because of misplaced loyalty to some less-than-competent producer. This is a big-time game and none of us can afford for it to be played that way. I know the campaign is separate from the grassroots, but the fact is we are the ones who pay for the official campaign and who will pay for not getting RP as our next President. The campaign relies on our support and I found it encouraging that Jonathan Bydlak seemed to have been corrected for his post-November 5th email scream. Maybe the campaign can listen to the grassroots and hire a professional writer and editor to re-do this TV special so it can be worthy of Dr. Paul. If they are going to make a correction they will have to hurry. Four days is not a lot of time for producing a professional product, but maybe some supporters would be willing to make it happen.

Ron LOL
12-17-2007, 02:32 AM
I made a post critical of the special earlier. Yes, it's very amateurish.

I don't know why they used RP's Ames speech. It's not bad, but the special could have been so much better.

But then, this is a common theme with the official campaign...

angrydragon
12-17-2007, 02:34 AM
This is still for the people in Iowa, that's probably why.

DSmith
12-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Ya, it seems crafted solely for Iowa, and as long as it's only going to be used for Iowa then I'm ok with it.

thuja
12-17-2007, 02:39 AM
someone tell them to get better help with these things!

Austin
12-17-2007, 02:40 AM
I'm not an Iowan, nor am I your average TV viewer.. So I don't think my opinion counts too much.

However, I can criticize the production value, which is sub-par.

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Ron LOL,

Sorry I missed your post. Can you give me a link to it?

angrydragon,

I find it hard to criticize Dr. Paul's campaign, but I think this really matters. I think it makes him look like an amateur, and Iowans will recognize that as much as anyone.

Dave Pedersen
12-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Too late for us to do anything about it except support it and hope for the best.

Personally I agree with you. I was disappointed. The cuts of the speech seemed sloppy. I did not like the way the topics changed without any outline. Like you said they should tell you what they are going to say, say it and then tell you what they said. It was a hack job of disjointed parts with no coherence. When Doctor Paul was at his desk I kept asking myself "who was he talking to"? You don't "pretend" to be interviewed and never get a question. He should have been interviewed or look into the camera. And the makeup was bad. He looked like he just woke up. Too much stuttering. He speaks better than that especially if they can cut the best parts in or the worst deliveries out. They made their cuts really obvious and unnatural. The last segment was much better in my opinion but the first two thirds was not good at all.

The final segment showed a more natural environment with many enthusiastic supporters. It looks like someone else produced it.

I still say either the campaign or the grassroots should rent a television station or channel and simply air all the great internet videos 24/7.

On the commercial channels produce a variety of 60 second ads, one focused on each issue and a couple general ones showing the level of support and rotate them in prime time and don't put people to sleep with 30 minutes of a message they will not necessarily be prepared to sit through. Ross Perot did those 30 minute jobs and a lot of people will not pay attention for that long and will be irritated because they cannot watch their favorite program. They will change the channel after three minutes.

Sorry for this but we still have free speech I hope.

It's too late to change their minds. Let's hope for the best.

the_oco
12-17-2007, 02:50 AM
I think if I were a 70 year old Iowa grandma knitting late night, saturday afternoons, whenever, and this came on I would be very pleased to have met the nice Dr. who won't kill babies and loves america.

You gotta keep the demographic in context here. We're looking for the home shopping network regulars

chinaCat
12-17-2007, 02:50 AM
I've watched my fair share of infomericals, and this is the best one I've ever seen. What did we expect from an infomerical?

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Krippy,

I suspect you have an eye for how a production like this should look. I am not an Iowan either, but they watch the same highly produced network news and Reagan 'Morning in America' ads the rest of the country does. They know when the work is amateur-level. I would feel insulted if a campaign tried to impress me with this low quality. Of course there is a way to make a 'folksy' ad, but I really think that takes a lot of professionalism and a light touch to pull off. The TV special in question is not even close.

RockEnds
12-17-2007, 02:57 AM
It's pretty plain, but it may have an appeal to the seniors. That would be fantastic, because they attend caucus, are the most dependent upon MSM news, and have the least information on his positions. My main criticism is that he was speaking too quickly. Whoever taped the interview should have stopped and told him to slow down a little.

Nyte
12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
First and foremost, I support this infomercial.

However, I expected more from eLiberty and his team. I agree the cuts were sloppy, and the message wasn't clear.

Several times I was left thinking, "OK, so what's Dr. Paul's solution to this issue?" Answers to questions seemed vague and seemed to wandered off-topic.

I don't know... I suppose it's better than nothing. I hope they bring us "Infomercial 2.0" soon.

Ron LOL
12-17-2007, 03:00 AM
I hope they bring us "Infomercial 2.0" soon.

Maybe this is why it hit YouTube first...

Edit: it's a shame the campaign can't just pay to air the Stossel interview :(

burningfur
12-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Ross Perot infomercials? Those would be a good litmus test compared to this one....

Paulite5112007
12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
I think an intro outlining what will be touched upon (maybe spend 30-45 seconds on it) at the start would do a bunch.

Richandler
12-17-2007, 03:07 AM
You guys need to shut your mouths. Like some of you could do any better.

It looks just like what it is: an infommercial. It's not mean to be the holiday special of dancing with the stars. It's aimed at rural America, or in other words Iowa. They know what they are doing. Aiming at an audience that isn't on the internet all day like the rest of you fools.

Now, that being said, I would still like to see what the "national commercial" will look like.

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Dave,

I concur with your observations on the production values.

I suppose it would be tough to get the TV special changed at this point. I also think that even if they run this thing on Saturday and Sunday, there is an ongoing problem that will keep biting us until the campaign wakes up and then fixes it. Sometimes there seem like two campaigns, with an open-source, bottom-up grassroots trying to save a closed-minded and often incompetent official campaign. I think the only reason we have got this far is because of Dr. Paul's natural impulse to leave people alone. That stance works great on the grassroots side, but on the official campaign side, someone needs to get results. Maybe this looming fiasco can be a wake-up call.

user
12-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Is anybody expected to watch an entire infomercial, or just parts of it?

Nyte
12-17-2007, 03:12 AM
You guys need to shut your mouths. Like some of you could do any better.

It looks just like what it is: an infommercial. It's not mean to be the holiday special of dancing with the stars. It's aimed at rural America, or in other words Iowa. They know what they are doing. Aiming at an audience that isn't on the internet all day like the rest of you fools.

Now, that being said, I would still like to see what the "national commercial" will look like.

Jeez Richandler, calm down. We're allowed to be critical. It's our money they're spending!

If they're going to put something like this together at such a critical time, they need to make sure they put a little more polish on it.

The cuts were awful, even you have to admit that. Instead of asking Ron to redo sections, they pieced stuff together with weird blending transitions. I'm no pro, but even I know that's just amateur.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Did they really invest 10 million into this?

Paulinista4TW
12-17-2007, 03:18 AM
I didn't think the infomercial was as good as what's on freeme.tv and also the DVD bomb project. But on the upside it gets Ron's positions on the issues out there and known to the public. I'll watch the second part later but it would be nice to have our guy packaged a bit more slickly.

stewie3128
12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Making a piece like this is a tough spot to be in - either we bitch that the campaign isn't letting Ron speak for himself in these commercials, or we bitch that the production quality sucks.

burningfur
12-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Making a piece like this is a tough spot to be in - either we bitch that the campaign isn't letting Ron speak for himself in these commercials, or we bitch that the production quality sucks.

Hit it on the nail.

Dave Pedersen
12-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Another thing, there HAS to be assurance of social security and medicare/aid for old folks.

Iowa = old folks. They have thick glasses and hearing aids. Every one of them. I know because I live in Wisconsin and that's what all my neighbors tell me ;)

Seriously when courting Iowa voters or Florida voters for that matter social security is number one.

Xepa
12-17-2007, 03:26 AM
elibery made this????

The Only Woj
12-17-2007, 03:27 AM
personally, I think there are some poor edits in there. a few quick cross fades to edit things he says together to say something. I think he'd be far better off if the entire segment was him EXPLAINING his positions than just replaying his Iowa straw poll appearance speech. especially would have been nice to have him explain why we should decriminalize gold/silver backed currency and end the monopoly the FED has on our money supply.

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
I remember the Ross Perot infomercials. I recall watching him get his national debt charts out, which is about when I changed channels. I also remember Reagan's 'Morning In America' ads http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMJ90T2rwXU from 1984. Those are still my gold standard. I think I heard the voice actor from that ad doing another Rep candidate's ad this year, but that is the ad quality I would like to see. Compared to the cost of airing a thirty minute ad statewide, professional production is cheap. Especially when the lack of professional production turns the air time into a poor investment.

Taco John
12-17-2007, 03:33 AM
I think this thread is exactly wrong. I've already been spreading this, and have had several voters who had counted Dr. Paul out tell me that the commercial gave them a different opinion of Dr. Paul and that they were going to be asking me follow-up questions.

Nihilist23
12-17-2007, 03:36 AM
I'm disappointed that random people make great videos on YouTube while HQ is spending our money on something silly like this.

That said, Ron Paul speaking and getting his ideas across is the key, so I won't complain too much.

PRIEST
12-17-2007, 03:36 AM
I think the eLib3rty thing is an entirely different beast. A national ad. This was just your typical low budget RP production.

ionlyknowy
12-17-2007, 03:37 AM
They need to point out why everyone MUST or has to vote for Ron Paul.

He needs to explain economics to people to start out with... this is so we can get all of the people ignorant to such things up to speed. Then explain how our economy is going to crash if we continue trying to expand... we should do this with real numbers and graphs...

The conclusion of the presentation should be that unless we do what Paul is saying our country will fail and go bankrupt, then no nation will want to lend to us. Then we will truly be isolated.

Until we prove that Paul's views Must be implemented, people will continue to view Paul in a less than serious manner. People will continue to call his views kooky or crazy.

tsetsefly
12-17-2007, 03:38 AM
I didnt like the amateurish quality to it, I know its made for the intended audience but it just makes it seem as if Ron Paul has no money to poduce quality stuff...

Lets just hope we get enough press this weekend for the money bomb and people go into it knowing he is raising all this money...

NYgs23
12-17-2007, 03:43 AM
I don't really know what most of you guys are talking about. Are you sure you're not just used to much flashier, ultramodern stuff and are judging that relative to your own expectations.

I think this is a fine piece for the people it is trying to reach (and I say that knowing many such people). If the people this special is trying to influence have even heard of Ron Paul, it's only vaguely. But they do not KNOW Paul, the way they know Rudy and Hillary. And they won't know him by going onto YouTube or anything like that. That's what this commercial is trying to remedy. Yeah, some of the editing's choppy and it would have been nice if it had been tighter, but the audience won't care about that. They're not watching for MTV flash or Matrix effects or anything. What they want to know is who Ron Paul is, what he's like, what he stands for. They have to have Ron Paul actually enter into the forefront of their consciousnesses. And much flash and fanciness would more likely drive them away then draw them in.

I especially like the specific issues that the infomercial talks about and how it frames them: health care, abortion, strong national defense. Notice for example, how on defense it starts with a clip of him throwing the red meat about building defense and the terrorist threat, then moving on to the clip with a more complex exposition of blowback. Perfect: draw them in, then take them into the more complex positions. The clips of the supporters towards the end were good too. Some of the clips of him talking were a little fast and wordy, but the general idea and image is MUCH more important than the specifics.

My bigger criticism is that there could have been more biographical info about his upbringing and family and career; remember, this is about getting people not plugged into the internet to KNOW Ron Paul. So there could have been more of that. Overall, I think it was a fine ad, if not a great one. I give it B+ to A-

PgmrPaul
12-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Taco John,

I don't mean the ad is an unmitigated disaster. Dr. Paul's greatness shines through in all circumstances. On the other hand, I think people expect a certain professionalism from the campaign of their future president. I am not criticizing the 30-minute format or ideas. I am raising issues of what I consider poor quality work that does not do justice to Dr. Paul. I don't claim to know what format or issues will best appeal to Iowa voters. I believe that only trial in the marketplace of ideas can reveal those truths. I do not believe a poorly produced mishmash is what they were trying to create and I don't think those aspects will appeal.

Taco John
12-17-2007, 03:49 AM
They need to point out why everyone MUST or has to vote for Ron Paul.

He needs to explain economics to people to start out with... this is so we can get all of the people ignorant to such things up to speed. Then explain how our economy is going to crash if we continue trying to expand... we should do this with real numbers and graphs...

The conclusion of the presentation should be that unless we do what Paul is saying our country will fail and go bankrupt, then no nation will want to lend to us. Then we will truly be isolated.

Until we prove that Paul's views Must be implemented, people will continue to view Paul in a less than serious manner. People will continue to call his views kooky or crazy.

If Ron Paul's introduction to Iowan voters was done like you just said, everybody would think he's kooky or crazy right away, and never give him the time of day. This video is perfect because it covers the issues that are most important to Iowans, and gives them the opportunity to go online and do more research.

I personally see this video as a huge tool for this campaign that will give Dr. Paul the chance to get his common sense approach across to people. I think this thing will move polls.

Taco John
12-17-2007, 03:55 AM
I do not believe a poorly produced mishmash is what they were trying to create and I don't think those aspects will appeal.

I just disagree that this is a poorly produced mishmash. I think this thing accomplishes exactly what it needs to in order to move polls in Iowa. I guess we'll see by the end of the month. I personally don't think that spending a lot of money on the production of this is necessary. What's necessary is getting it on television as much as possible in order to re-introduce caucus voters to Ron Paul.

Think12345
12-17-2007, 04:05 AM
My $0.02

1. I agree about the bad quality transitions, but then this might be a beta version
2. People from the streets are fine, but some opinions by higher-end endorsers would help a lot
3 MOST IMPORTANTLY: many people don't understand how exactly inflation is hurting them. There needs to be a down-to-earth explanation of what's happening to the economy, some analogies with a person who overspent, etc. I think this is one of the major issues, and it needs to be represented in a way that an average Joe can comprehend
4. Not a single reference to internet. I understand, that the goal of the infomercial is to reach the people who don't spend their lives online, but who is really going to call the HQ? So there is no way for people to get any information or answers if they wish. Maybe somewhere on the background some URLs can be shown.
5. MORE SOLUTIONS! - there is a lot of complaints about how wrong the things are. But IMO not enough answers to the question "How do I know that Ron Paul can fix all that?"
6. I agree that there have to be hard promises to take care of people currently depending on Social Security and Medicare. In fact, I found that specifically mentioning "no tax on SS payments" really goes a long way with older people.

burningfur
12-17-2007, 04:09 AM
My guess is that this was released in part to help people push the donations up, I haven't been able to watch it yet but I think they put it out so that people can comment on it and they can get a consensus. I hope Drew Ivers is involved with this, he is especially in tune to Iowa.

Very good points, Think12345.

NYgs23
12-17-2007, 04:10 AM
See, I really don't think that defining esoteric issues and laying out plans was the point of this at all. It was about getting Ron Paul the man and candidate on the mental radar screens of the great unwashed.

saahmed
12-17-2007, 04:12 AM
I live in Iowa. Does anybody know what time/channels they are planning on airing this? I hope what they posted was just a rough draft. They can definitely make a few improvements by improving the flow and having a more attention-grabbing intro. What is going to get people to actually tune into this and watch it in it's entirety? The intro is very important and it is lacking here. Aside from that, the concept is great, its just not being executed very well.

TVMH
12-17-2007, 04:14 AM
I've watched my fair share of infomericals, and this is the best one I've ever seen. What did we expect from an infomerical?

Chuck Norris and that funny-looking sliding gym thingy? :D

Taco John
12-17-2007, 04:28 AM
I live in Iowa. Does anybody know what time/channels they are planning on airing this? I hope what they posted was just a rough draft. They can definitely make a few improvements by improving the flow and having a more attention-grabbing intro. What is going to get people to actually tune into this and watch it in it's entirety? The intro is very important and it is lacking here. Aside from that, the concept is great, its just not being executed very well.

Post like this are what bother me about this forum. The poster comes in and asks a bunch of questions, demonstrating that he has no idea how this thing is being executed. Then after he demonstrates that he's unaware of how this thing is being executed, he makes the judgement that it's not being executed very well... Just mere seconds after he typed questions showing he had no idea of the execution...

Mind boggling!

JMO
12-17-2007, 04:31 AM
I think you guys are way over thinking this.

This was just fine, it wasn't amatuerish and you don't need wasteful spending by hiring a top line professional team.

Keep it simple-keep it dumb. If you talk over the average persons head they just change the channel because they don't understand. Those however are the peoples votes you need.

rasheedwallace
12-17-2007, 04:33 AM
i don't like it that much, but what are we gonna do...

voytechs
12-17-2007, 04:54 AM

A professional infomercial maker offered to make production quality one for free, all the campaign had to do is say yes. I could have done a lot better had I the footage of RP interview in that 30 mins.

Ohh well, I agree not much time left. May be thats the problem, they decided to do it too late.

There was lots of good information. If a viewer can withstand the first 60 seconds, I think they'll be hooked once the issues are being discussed. The begging is really really bad and will probably drive people away from watching it. Although, I can imagine that most people watching it will stumble upon it and watch it from somewhere in the middle. Then if they are interested enough try to catch it again.

colecrowe
12-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Wow. The first segment was really good, except for the part about businesses having our private info. And it's right in the beginning. What a bore, and makes you think "how the heck did he get on that subject?" It is true and important--but wrong place, wrong time. That will make people fall asleep or change the channel. Please change that to talking about how the Patriot Act allows warrantless searches, and the watchlists, and how if you tell anyone, even your wife or priest or lawyer, or even a judge, you can go to prison for five years. Something like that. The crap about businesses goes on way to long and even gets completely restated. There is so much stuff way more important to talk about--so much stuff that will really appeal to people and get an emotional response. Get it OUT--gone.

Oh, and the cuts are kinda crumby--but nothing like they are in the second segment--they get very painful to watch. I swear--you would think someone is trying to trick you! Or that you are listening to a robot--it is so horrible. Why??

Very important. Way more than any policy or position I know the number one thing that is most attractive about Ron Paul and absolutely most different about him is, just like he said at the Youtube debate, "I went to Washington and Washington did not change me!" He is not, has not ever been, and will NEVER BE INFLENCED BY MONEY. When people hear that they will rise up to vote for him in droves. That is the one thing people are mad about, desperate to change, want the most...is the money influence in Washington and in elections. What hooked me and dozens of close friends and family was this one thing: He is absolutely not like the rest of them: HE IS PRINCIPLED AND CONSISTENT. Again, Way more than any policy or position--it is his record! He is different--he is honorable, and extremely humble--a very humble, citizen statesmen.

So one of the very first things--definitely near the beginning of the first segment (now it's kind of in the middle of the 2nd segment--in the form of rehashed radio ads of all things--ughh!), has to be the facts about WHO FUNDS HIM (very small grassroots donations from, for instance the 16th, 64,000 people donating an average of $100 a piece.. Say how Lobbyists don't even bother approaching him. Because he never has and never will change his position on anything to please a special interest or get money or votes. Mention CORPORATE WELFARE AT THIS POINT for instance. Show a graph of where his money comes from, in opposition to the other candidates' records: like 99.998 percent of his money is from individual donations averaging $96 or whatever. About how he handles his congressional budget, refuses the pension. (That is a huge selling point just in itself for quite a few people I know.) And expand on all these a bit--extrapolate--really drive those points home.

Again, this is Way more important to people than any policy or position

That is why he is different--why he matters--why we need him--and I guarantee you that is what will get people to really look at him and like him. People are desperate for a really honest, principled politician--WHO IS NOT INFLUENCED BY MONEY AND LOBBYISTS! This is so important--do a little poll, and I swear you will find that is the most attractive thing about him.

The second segment is just freaking horrible. It is a hash of freaking radio commercials and horrible cuts, and that song will in no way appeal to like 90% of people (talking about BANKERS?!--WHAT? People won't get it--I'm even a die hard Paul lover and I don't really get it. The second segment had almost absolutely no impact on me, except that I actually had to stop watching because I was so embarrassed by the second segments stupidity and boringness. The cuts got so bad (especially at what I think is the end of His speech in Iowa)--HOW DO YOU HAVE LIKE 4 CUTS IN FIVE SECONDS? How do I know he even said what it makes it appear he said--once again it's like I'm watching a Manchurian candidate or something. Horrible.

I guess I should try to watch the last three minutes of it now.

Please--have more input from people in the grassroots, or maybe especially from a couple respected consultants and exerts. This is despicable, embarrassing, and will be almost useless and Dr. Paul deserves something at least 5 times better. This is not Presidential Candidate caliber. Maybe Congressional Candidate caliber, maybe.

And no radio ad or any other ad rehashes. This thing should strive above all to not be like a commercial at all. That will turn people off. I'm even kind of tired of the voice they use for the radio ads, just for no other reason than I hear it so much. People want different--Ron Paul IS different--and that WILL make people vote for him--so make this infomercial DIFFERENT! Different than the rest--the same old same old, and definitely different that A COMMERCIAL--or radio ads.

colecrowe
12-17-2007, 05:06 AM
What the heck happened with that?

A professional infomercial maker offered to make production quality one for free, all the campaign had to do is say yes. I could have done a lot better had I the footage of RP interview in that 30 mins.

Ohh well, I agree not much time left. May be thats the problem, they decided to do it too late.

There was lots of good information. If a viewer can withstand the first 60 seconds, I think they'll be hooked once the issues are being discussed. The begging is really really bad and will probably drive people away from watching it. Although, I can imagine that most people watching it will stumble upon it and watch it from somewhere in the middle. Then if they are interested enough try to catch it again.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-17-2007, 05:07 AM

We have, a million times. It falls on deaf ears.

Maybe they do it on purpose. Because every-time we see these truly pathetic pieces they produce, we get mad and realize that it's really up to us, not them.

Adamsa
12-17-2007, 05:09 AM
Chuck Norris and that funny-looking sliding gym thingy? :D

That infomercial was halarious, we need to get Ron on one of those.

Ron LOL
12-17-2007, 05:12 AM
We have, a million times. It falls on deaf ears.

Maybe they do it on purpose. Because every-time we see these truly pathetic pieces they produce, we get mad and realize that it's really up to us, not them.

Seriously. The infomercial looks no better than his old congressional campaign video on YouTube. Actually, if you look carefully, you can even see they re-used some old footage. RP leaning against the pickup talking to some people, and RP holding a baby (I think) come to mind.

JMO
This forum has become a whinefest. Even as a Ron Paul supporter it's getting tough to read this forum anymore because its 70% whines, 20% people saying "Release this to the press" and 10% people who actually have something worth saying.

user
Most of our youtube videos aren't exactly "professional" either. What they are is different. Maybe we should start airing ads independently from the campaign, highlighting some of the things colecrowe said. The ads would be from our perspective, and it makes more sense for things like "consistent and principled" and "lobbyists don't even bother approaching him" to come from us instead of the campaign.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-17-2007, 05:14 AM
We are: http://www.OperationNH.com

DRV45N05
12-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Good God...

We get on board with Ron Paul, and all of the sudden we think we're political professionals.

Let the campaign do their jobs.

colecrowe
12-17-2007, 05:22 AM
From the opening second To second 00:36 needs to be cut out. It is a very weak opening. Right at second 37 where he emphatically, confidently says "Our campaign is all about Freedom, Prosperity, and Peace" is an example of what would make a great, strong opening.

user
12-17-2007, 05:25 AM
We are: http://www.OperationNH.com

Excellent, I hope it works.

user
12-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Good God...

We get on board with Ron Paul, and all of the sudden we think we're political professionals.

I'm not saying the campaign is doing a bad job, because I really don't know. Maybe that kind of thing works in Iowa. What I'm saying is that the campaign probably has enough cash now that the grassroots can focus on our own stuff for a while. Does it really hurt to run some ads from our perspective?

cliche
12-17-2007, 05:30 AM
He sure seemed angry during that speech. Not sure if that is good or bad.

JMO
12-17-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm not saying the campaign is doing a bad job, because I really don't know. Maybe that kind of thing works in Iowa. What I'm saying is that the campaign probably has enough cash now that the grassroots can focus on our own stuff for a while. Does it really hurt to run some ads from our perspective?

I don't think that is what he is trying to say. People come on here in droves and whine for the campaign to do this and that, then when they do something they whine about it not being good enough, this is becoming a pattern. Thread after thread of people trying to micro manage and whine is earning the kook word that people are throwing out for Ron Paul supporters. To find one person on here that is happy you have to sift through 100 people who are complaining.

Its great that the Ron Paul supporters are doing something, In my life I have never seen anything like this, but this micro managing whining is getting very annoying.

user
12-17-2007, 05:40 AM
I don't think that is what he is trying to say. People come on here in droves and whine for the campaign to do this and that, then when they do something they whine about it not being good enough, this is becoming a pattern. Thread after thread of people trying to micro manage and whine is earning the kook word that people are throwing out for Ron Paul supporters. To find one person on here that is happy you have to sift through 100 people who are complaining.

Its great that the Ron Paul supporters are doing something, In my life I have never seen anything like this, but this micro managing whining is getting very annoying.
This is one of the reasons it's probably important for us to have our own stuff going on at the same time and focusing on it. The people who want more control over the specifics can focus on the grassroots efforts while the campaign uses the cash they've been sent.

JMO
12-17-2007, 05:46 AM
This is one of the reasons it's probably important for us to have our own stuff going on at the same time and focusing on it. The people who want more control over the specifics can focus on the grassroots efforts while the campaign uses the cash they've been sent.

Yes, with all the chip ins you have the ability to decide how you want your money spent. You don't have to donate to the campaign, but if you do choose to donate to the campaign let them do their job. you have 10,000 people coming on here with 1,000 different ideas on how the campaign should be run, and if it isn't run the way they like it they start 10 threads complaining about it.

Menthol Patch
12-17-2007, 05:50 AM
All we can do is support it and hope for the best.

Menthol Patch
12-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Actually, I like this infomercial.

Ron LOL
12-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Good God...

That we indeed aren't political professionals is one of the things that makes our opinions so valuable. For many here, this is the first time they've ever been involved politically -- we're not the kind of folks who can watch the infomercial and say "aha, this will play well with xyz demographic for abc reason." Rather, we're the folks who would stumble across this thing while channel surfing. And in that sense, our opinions are the most important of all.

aroberso
12-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Maybe this is why it hit YouTube first...

Edit: it's a shame the campaign can't just pay to air the Stossel interview :(

+1. The Stossel interview is great. That was my guess for "the Big Surprise". We need to be sending lots of e-mails and messages to try to get that aired anyway. That would simply amount to another infomercial (and a free one at that).

That said, I see nothing wrong with this infomercial. Fox News has lots of shiny graphics and looks great on my big screen, and uh...

I trust the Good Doctor, and while I support constructive criticism, I do not support those that are negative in a way that is personally demoralizing to me. I just add those folks to my ignore list and move on.

idiom
12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Where are the bikinis?!?!? An infomercial with no Bikinis?

Who wants to win Iowa if they don't demand Bikinis! Let go win Florida and California. The recognise a good bikini there.

Edit: Nevermind I saw them. In the second part.

rpfreedom08
12-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know what you guys are bitchin' about, this is great! He can tell the people from Iowa his views without the media putting its little spin on them. This is great and will convert many people. Besides all the views that he clarifies I really enjoyed the huge crowds they showed as well as the people talking in the end. This is huge and is very good news they are doing this. Shame on you guys for saying it's not good.

edit: you have to remember that alot of people aren't forward thinkers like alot of us. Most people especially in Iowa have a tendency to like the more conservative candidates. This does a great job to show just how conservative ron paul really is. I still say nice job, hats off to a good informative video!

richk
12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Jeez Richandler, calm down. We're allowed to be critical. It's our money they're spending!

If they're going to put something like this together at such a critical time, they need to make sure they put a little more polish on it.

The cuts were awful, even you have to admit that. Instead of asking Ron to redo sections, they pieced stuff together with weird blending transitions. I'm no pro, but even I know that's just amateur.

LOL @ our money they're spending. :(

I thought you donated that money to the campaign. It's not yours anymore. You don't get a DIRECT sayso in how its spent. Jeez the people here are never happy about jackshit.

Does the whining and criticizing ever stop???? :mad:

gagnonstudio
12-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I thought the infomercial was very well done in a short period of time. I think it will be effective. I'm very happy with it.

12-17-2007, 08:09 AM
A business firm does not pay professional costs to produce an ad for one state. It will want an ad that can run anywhere or everywhere, with little or no modification. The executives ordering the production, paying for it, and approving it will watch it very carefully and insist on numerous changes, corrections, improvements, additions, revisions and so on.

To suggest that just because a supporter did not pay for the entire cost himself he is not likewise qualified to relay his comments on a 30 minute ad splurge, is not necessary to incite disagreement. It seems the production of the ad itself has been sufficient to do that.

So it is unfinished. So it is wasteful. So it is likely to be less effective than it should be. You must still understand why. Why? It is being ordered, and approved by politicians, not business executives. What would you expect?

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. And...if you want a thing done right, do it yourself.

JDeVriese
12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Guys, look on the bright side...it could be Huckabee advertising the Total Gym!

Question_Authority
12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
This is not Presidential Candidate caliber. Maybe Congressional Candidate caliber, maybe.

BINGO!!!!!!!!

This is the crux of the problem. Ron Paul is too loyal to his longtime friends that got him elected to Congress. They do NOT know how to run a national campaign. Case in point: They have virtually ignored NH when it comes to personal appearances by Paul. BAD MOVE.

I am at the height of my frustration with this campaign. If he wins, it will be a miracle and will be DESPITE the campaign, not because of it.

voytechs
12-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Not exactly a waste. Could have definately been done better, but it does contain huge amount of good information. I think they would have done better just leaving the rally out completely, just throwing in video of how many people showed up, and concentrated on the calm interview. Thats where he looks his best.

DirtMcGirt
12-17-2007, 08:30 AM
awesome video for the people of Iowa

Question_Authority
12-17-2007, 08:32 AM
It is just shocking to me because throughout the entire campaign, the one speech that stood out as his worst speech was the Iowa Caucus speech. I remember wishing they would bury it on their web site, not "feature it" as they did for so long.

So, it just about floored me that this was the centerpiece of the damn infomercial! Dr Paul looked haggard and angry throughout, and it was the day after his wife was hospitalized. He was obviously very stressed and tired from being up all night.

Ugh. God help us.

steph3n
12-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I liked it, no it is not Ross Perot there with hundreds of charts, but Ross Perot didn't get elected either!

user
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
It is just shocking to me because throughout the entire campaign, the one speech that stood out as his worst speech was the Iowa Caucus speech. I remember wishing they would bury it on their web site, not "feature it" as they did for so long.

So, it just about floored me that this was the centerpiece of the damn infomercial! Dr Paul looked haggard and angry throughout, and it was the day after his wife was hospitalized. He was obviously very stressed and tired from being up all night.

Ugh. God help us.
His wife was hospitalized?

nevildev
12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I strongly disagree. It's a great way to introduce Iowa voters to Ron Paul. Short clips of him speaking directly about the issues

scbissler
12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
The Iowa speech, with the picture of the capitol in the background, will play very well in Iowa. I feel it had to be clips from that speech to reach the voters there.

theodorelogan
12-17-2007, 08:56 AM
This thread is a waste.

Santana28
12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
i think it's fantastic. i just so happenned to be standing directly underneath Dr. Paul during that particular Iowa speech (at the straw poll), and i can tell you that i think it was one of his best speeches and well-delivered speeches that i have ever heard from him. Yes, it was directed to Iowa voters - not the entire nation. They want their pro-life, anti-illegal immigration, pro-gun candidates. I have no problem with the content at all.

And the end is the very best part. Could have been more specific and direct, but it was attention getting and left you thinking about the previous statements.

And if you pay attention - some of that footage seems to be youtube footage, and some of the narration is that used in radio commercials. they scrimped and slimmed it down to what was absolutely necessary. i'm sure this thing will be WELL worth the cost.

raystone
12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I think if I were a 70 year old Iowa grandma knitting late night, saturday afternoons, whenever, and this came on I would be very pleased to have met the nice Dr. who won't kill babies and loves america.

You gotta keep the demographic in context here. We're looking for the home shopping network regulars

hear hear

realist
12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I watched the whole info-mercial. I thought it was decent and I don't wish to critisize becuase I'm no expert and I hope those running the campaign are. It didn't seem that effective on me but I'm already a beleiver. I do question the average non Ron Paul voters attention span. I'm trying to soak up everything Paul and I had trouble keeping focus for the entire program. The message seemed fragemented and didn't flow like a story culminating in a clear call to action.

I would think that this was targetted at converting those who aren't already Paul supporters. I'm more impacted (and beleive most other are too?) by short, powerful imagery such as many of the 30 second You Tube commercials set to music with a clear message on one or two subjects. They are harder to turn off and with good variety can have good swaying power. Hopefully, those in HQ understand the demographic better than I do but I think it's fair to comment since this is the only shot we all get at this. I've never contributed to a presidential campaign and have multiple times to this one. I do hope they put my money to good use and by that I mean, maximize conversion votes, not just maximize airtime.

wolv275
12-17-2007, 09:02 AM
c'mon lets not be such downers, i saw the videos and thought they were ok. they got the message out and the points across, after all we don't have too much time for a well funded special so close to the primaries.

Pete Kay
12-17-2007, 09:13 AM
The infomercial is fantastic! It is a great intro into Ron Paul to first timers. He really explains his postions well and though it doesn't go too in depth, he says what he needs to say. This commercial is not meant for national consumption; it's for Iowa.

I think some of you need to excorcise your bias. If any of you are old enough to remember Ross Perot, then you know that Ron Paul's infomercial is ten times better than Perot's and he was a billionaire. I'm not sure hwy ome of you are disappointed. I think this infomercial will win Iowa for Ron Paul.

walt
12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
This is still for the people in Iowa, that's probably why.

I'd buy that, if it said the speech was in Iowa - it doesn't.

Pete Kay
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM

The Iowa State capital is behind him as are the words, "Iowa". Improve your powers of perception son.

AdamT
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I think this thing is sloppy as hell. It looks like it was edited down at the local library. I am very disappointed - because their was much potential for it.

The second I saw that Ames speech, I thought "please don't use much of this" and it went on for almost the whole piece. That speech makes him look crazy, and there are so many better, and more recent speeches. They sacrificed the entire piece just to have the the "Iowa" background on the stage. That is my main criticism.

I am a professional editor and would offer to to fix this up for free. Hell, I'd even drive down to Iowa HQ and bring my equipment with me. I could be there in a matter of hours.

All I can say is we are extremely lucky having eLiberty behind the national TV spot.

winston_blade
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
The infomercial was great. Youtube people, like us, prefer different looking things than tv people. Believe me, this infomercial is very informative. What else did you want, Ron Paul vs. Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79?

dsentell
12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
You guys, it would be hard to impress this forum crowd! We live, eat and sleep Ron Paul and have our own ideas about how he should be presented. I think that sometimes it is hard for us to imagine people who are completely ignorant about him.

I think this infomercial does a pretty nice job of introducing the good doctor to the people of Iowa.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Why does that matter? The fact IS, that the speech was in Iowa, right before the Iowa Straw poll.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
I think this thing is sloppy as hell. It looks like it was edited down at the local library. I am very disappointed - because their was much potential for it.

The second I saw that Ames speech, I thought "please don't use much of this" and it went on for almost the whole piece. That speech makes him look crazy, and there are so many better, and more recent speeches. They sacrificed the entire piece just to have the the "Iowa" background on the stage. That is my main criticism.

I am a professional editor and would offer to to fix this up for free. Hell, I'd even drive down to Iowa HQ and bring my equipment with me. I could be there in a matter of hours.

All I can say is we are extremely lucky having eLiberty behind the national TV spot.

I am really hoping that the videos posted were rough drafts.

michaelwise
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I was told by supporters of other candidates at the CNN Youtube debate, that the way HQ is running this champaign is very "Amateurish". We need Madison Avenue professionals like eliberty and Aravoth producing commercials for HQ. We can certainly afford it now. We need the the types of commercials that make people ask,"Where have they been hiding this man from me for so long", And that make people cry when they realize they have been believing the lies from the TV for too long.Wake up headquarters. Your in the big league now.

JMann
12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Ross Perot infomercials? Those would be a good litmus test compared to this one....

Now those sucked big time, Perot with a bunch of charts. I think I would watch another 'Health Secrets' infomertial than that Perot crap.

disciple
12-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I was told by supporters of other candidates at the CNN Youtube debate, that the way HQ is running this champaign is very "Amateurish". We need Madison Avenue professionals like eliberty and Aravoth producing commercials for HQ. We can certainly afford it now. We need the the types of commercials that make people ask,"Where have they been hiding this man from me for so long", And that make people cry when they realize they have been believing the lies from the TV for too long.Wake up headquarters. Your in the big league now.

Totally agree, we cannot settle on a so-so-project. So much at stake here.

mconder
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Personally, I think they should throw out the rules of how you speak to Iowan's and come up with something extremely hard hitting and emotional that will create the buy impulse and get out the votes for RP.

mconder
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
"Where have they been hiding this man from me for so long", And that make people cry when they realize they have been believing the lies from the TV for too long.

YES! There are any number of grassroots supporters who can and do make better video productions.

Jmaths117
12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I must say I was disappointed with this infomercial. He jumped back and forth between topics, talking too quickly and not really being clear about his point. Then for some reason it cut into something, for the last 10 minutes, that I have seen before.

Get your act together, HQ

michaelwise
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I have another strong suggestion.
Use Ron Paul's full name, Dr. Ronald Earnest Paul, one time in every commercial.

Pete
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I liked it very much! :)

Cutting back and forth between the stump speech and the detailed 'explanations' at his desk was fine. It helped to hold attention. Using the Iowa straw poll footage was fine because that was one hell of a meaty speech, issue-wise. It was much better than a bunch of sound bites.

The thing that is absolutely shocking about RP, that we tend to for get, is that he is 100% about issues, and he is glad to talk about them. These other "front runners" make headlines when they actually take a position! RP's speaking held my attention, and I didn't mind the edits; they seemed like standard infomercial fare.

One negative observation: I don't think most people understand the privacy issue, and I wouldn't have emphasized it as much. There's a wide-open door for someone to make a program about the cumulative effect of executive orders, FEMA, the Patriot Act, the current domestic terror bill, lack of privacy, how all these things can be used together to quash legitimate political dissent, and why anyone would want to. This would be a good topic for the general election.

Loved the string of short segments at the end, which gave the impression that the campaign is very widespread and deep. The bit at the end with all the diverse people saying, "I am a Constitutionalist" brought a tear to my eye.

It's going to kill. I want a DVD of it.

Ron Paul Fan
12-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I LOVED it! I thought it was FANTASTIC! I'm a REPUBLICAN living in IOWA, so MY opinion is the only one that really MATTERS here. I am the TARGETED audience! The PRO LIFE position will go over GREAT in Iowa! As will STOPPING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION! These are two issues that Romney and Huckabee focus on in their ads. I don't think all of these people are stupid! The ENDING was WONDERFUL! The whole infomercial was SPECTACULAR! There's a REVOLUTION going on and I'm just LUCKY enough to be a part of it!

Birdlady
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
If they had a better intro that would catch people's attentions as they flip the channels it would be a lot better. The intro as it stands right now, doesn't even tell you anything about him. There is people cheering, his name on the screen and then RP going welcome welcome. That's is a terrible opening.

Even an amatuer production team should look at this and think. Hmm if I knew nothing about RP would I want to watch this. The answer is NO. The audience is given NO reason to want to find out more about RP.

What would make someone want to watch this? It looks like they are just re-airing the speech and I doubt many would get through the beginning to see there is more, which starts at (3:07).

They also need to add bullet points on the screen and in a lot of Dr. Paul's answers he stuttered or had to correct himself. That's not something you want in a final draft. All those verbal stutters or mistakes needed a retake or a good editing job to remove them.

It doesn't need to be flashy, but certain elements need to be better.

RoyalShock
12-17-2007, 11:20 AM
I liked it very much! :)

Cutting back and forth between the stump speech and the detailed 'explanations' at his desk was fine. It helped to hold attention. Using the Iowa straw poll footage was fine because that was one hell of a meaty speech, issue-wise. It was much better than a bunch of sound bites.

The thing that is absolutely shocking about RP, that we tend to for get, is that he is 100% about issues, and he is glad to talk about them. These other "front runners" make headlines when they actually take a position! RP's speaking held my attention, and I didn't mind the edits; they seemed like standard infomercial fare.

One negative observation: I don't think most people understand the privacy issue, and I wouldn't have emphasized it as much. There's a wide-open door for someone to make a program about the cumulative effect of executive orders, FEMA, the Patriot Act, the current domestic terror bill, lack of privacy, how all these things can be used together to quash legitimate political dissent, and why anyone would want to. This would be a good topic for the general election.

Loved the string of short segments at the end, which gave the impression that the campaign is very widespread and deep. The bit at the end with all the diverse people saying, "I am a Constitutionalist" brought a tear to my eye.

It's going to kill. I want a DVD of it.

I mostly agree.

When I watch these types of things I'm not looking for slick editing. I'm looking for substance, which I think the informercial provided just fine.

It's kind of like when I watch basketball on TV. I largely tune out the "slick talking commentators" because most of the time they are talking fluff. But when they give some facts (stats, history, etc.) I suddenly listen. The graphics and/or animations are largely annoying to me.

Maybe some of the cuts could be better, but I wonder if someone who is going to turn the channel because, "ewww, I didn't like the transition between segments" isn't really in tune with Paul's message anyway. If they are looking to be entertained, I doubt they are going to bother to watch an informercial.

I guess I just don't see the "amateurish" production to be that big of a deal. There wasn't anything distracting, which is a good thing.

roversaurus
12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I would have preferred if it had been more of an infomercial style.
There should have been an interviewer and more graphics.

Paul really came off well at his desk and in the speech. I thought
all of that was great. It just needed someone to guide the viewer
along. To break up the monotony.

What he said was really, really good stuff. How he said it was good.

But it needed more "fluff". It needed a moderator or reporter type person
to frame it.

Paulitician
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I didn't like it. I didn't like it because it used too much of the Ames speech, because it didn't have Ron Paul elaborating on the issues much (that's what really impresses me), because there were scenes of rallies and so forth, because at the end it seemed like nothing but fellating etc. It could have been so much better if it just focused on the man Ron Paul, his positions, his life etc etc. TV is not YouTube people. I find it funny that people are saying "oh but it's for a certain demographic, its for TV" but at the same time it still has the whole emotional, YouTube feeling of many of the videos that are out there have. I think you guys are way too emotionally attached to the campaign, which clouds your judgment. Try to detach yourself for a while. Try to step in the regular tay payer's shoes. I would say it's a waste too. It could have been much better.

Leslie Webb
12-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I think those of us who criticize the infomercial do so because we want to present Ron's person, ideas, and record in the best light to the public. We have millions of people to persuade by Super Tuesday, so it is legitimate to discuss the best way to create an infomercial that will attract large numbers of new supporters. So in this spirit I offer some criticisms and suggestions:

Long public speech not the best way to reach television viewers
I don't think a long public speech to a large audience, which made up most of this infomercial, is the best way to reach television viewers. In the speech he seemed angry or a little too emphatic. Carol had gone into a Des Moines hospital that morning for a heart problem, and this worry may have affected his speaking. In any case, I think Ron explains his views best in interviews when he is relaxed and speaks off the cuff, as in the Jim Cramer interview last week on Mad Money.

The John Stossel interview
The interview parts of the infomercial were much better than the Ames speech segments, and he came across as warm and genuine. Even so, he went too fast in some parts. A natural give and take format such as in the Jim Cramer or John Stossel interviews would have been better. I have only seen two segments of the John Stossel ABC interview, but Ron was superb, and the camera work and editing were excellent. The Stossel interview is the gold standard, and we should aim for that type of interview in presenting Ron and his message to the public.

Some suggestions
1. If ABC News is not going to broadcast the John Stossel interview, could we buy the rights to it and run segments of it in an infomercial?

2. If not, what could the campaign do to produce a similar type of interview as an infomercial? I think an infomercial should still include cuts of his passionate denunciations of the war and big government from the debates, but the bulk of the infomercial should be an interview with Ron explaining his ideas.

3. At the beginning of the infomercial, include a good "Who is Ron Paul?" biographical segment, such as the one in this infomercial. Include also a short summary of his message and some rally shots. Once we get viewers hooked on his integrity and record, it will be easier to get them to listen to ideas they resist, such as bringing our troops home from Iraq or abolishing the Federal Reserve.

4. Use an on-screen narrator to give some type of structure to the infomercial. He or she could open the infomercial by introducing the biographical segment. Then the narrator would introduce a segment "What does Ron Paul stand for?", consisting of the interview and public speeches segment. Finally, the narrator would introduce a segment on "Who supports Ron Paul and why?" and make a pitch to get people to become supporters. (I really liked the parts of the infomercial that showed individual supporters explaining why they liked Ron Paul. Great personal touch.)

5. Use four graphics in the "What does Ron Paul stands for?" segment of the infomercial to emphasize the fiscal crisis the country faces. At appropriate points in this segment put in graphics that show the cost of the Iraq war, the amount of the national debt, the estimated amount of unfunded liabilities for Social Security and Medicare, and the amount the dollar has depreciated in value over the last 30 years. People can grasp figures better when the figures are in print on the TV screen. Use the figures and graphics to emphasize that Ron Paul is the only candidate who can solve the country's fiscal problems.

6. In the final pitch for support segment, contrast Ron's views with those of the other major party candidates. Use graphics to help make the point that he is the only candidate who truly represents the American people's views on the Iraq war and big government. Use a screen shot that states that most Americans and Ron Paul oppose the war, in contrast to the Republican candidates. On the same screen shot state that most Americans and Ron Paul oppose big government spending, in contrast to the Democratic candidates. The narrator could say something like:

"Ron Paul is the only major party candidate who truly represents the views of the great majority of the American people:

① Like 70% of Americans, and unlike the other Republican candidates, Ron Paul opposes the Iraq War. He calls for an immediate and orderly withdrawal of our troops from Iraq.

② Like most Americans, and unlike Clinton, Obama, and the other Democratic candidates, Ron Paul opposes big government. The national debt is over $9 trillion dollars. We do not need any more wasteful big government spending programs. Ron Paul will slash taxes and spending and give the money back to the taxpayers."

specsaregood
12-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I like the infomercial. I grew up in and around Iowa and other Midwestern states.

If we can get them to watch it, it will convert and energize potential caucus goers.

RockEnds
12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
The criticisms are polite, and they're accurate. I not only live in Iowa, but I've done advertising in Iowa. I think this will be helpful, but it could be more helpful. It really doesn't take glitz to sell. It DOES take structure. There's nothing wrong with offering polite criticism.

I was impressed with this infomercial mostly because I've seen some other presentations put forth by the campaign. This is by far the best they've accomplished.

literatim
12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Personally, I think they should throw out the rules of how you speak to Iowan's and come up with something extremely hard hitting and emotional that will create the buy impulse and get out the votes for RP.

Do you want to lose in Iowa?

adpierce
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I think it's perfect. I live in Iowa I've lived in Iowa mostly my whole life and this will KILL HERE! I'm not lying to you people. It is absolutely fantastic, now as to the production quality I thought it was not as slick as maybe Romney would have done things... but that is to our advantage. We're not supporting a slickster politician we're supporting one who is down to earth and telling it like it is. When I say this will make a difference in Iowa, I'm guessing about a 5 to 10% difference. That kind of bump could win Ron Paul a top three contender if he isn't already and he could possibly even win here. So far I've been somewhat disappointed with the stuff the campaign has been doing for Iowa... not anymore! Please put your support behind this effort I'm promising you it'll pay off.

kennygrimm
12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I have seen so many of the grass-roots created youtube videos such as Don't Tread on Me, A New Hope, etc and I really think that those were much more captivating and actually make you feel excited about supporting Paul. The quotes and the music really make them informational and emotional. I think that the first part of this is weak, it's not very interesting and I could see a lot of people turning it off unfortunately.

RoyalShock
12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I think what some people fail to understand is that the YouTube videos that are "captivating" speak mainly to the grassroots. That style can turn off many of the midwest/plains people who are conservative, easy-going personalities. Some people respond to the tense, "immenent danger" feel of those videos. Others do not. If you want to win an election where you're viewed as a long shot, you need to appeal to a broader spectrum of not just ideologies, but personalities. Sometimes a softer, more "bland" presentation will reach people that a flashy or emotional presentation will not.

Being a Kansan, I will trust the Iowan's here who think it is right on target.

ThePieSwindler
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I love how all the iowans love this ad, yet everyone else is bitching about it. I saw it without hearing anyone elses' opinion and liked it. Sure it could be better, but they always could be. This will work.

Paulitician
12-17-2007, 01:09 PM
These are Iowan Ron Paul supporters. I'd love to see Iowan non-Ron Paul supporters opinions about it. Afterall, that's what counts.

hatefalseweight
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
This is very good for a pro-life, Reaganite, Republican core. Mentions NAU, really gets into a lot of great stuff if they can just get past a farily weak opening minute and get people to watch it at alll .... great to have this out there ... make dvds and pass them out or reference.

DZE
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Ran across this on another forum. :confused:

How come Ron Paul did that one devil sign with his right hand? I doubt Ron Paul was doing the "I-luv-Yu" sign. Hmmm, maybe those who say Ron Paul is just apart of the New World Order Scum are correct that Ron Paul is just that. So sad. I guess It should have been Dennis Kucinich.

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
That is one thing that must come out of this video. That sign. It's such a little thing and we don't want it misinterpreted.

ggibson1
12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok great once again you have shown us all your skills at complaining... now then... what are YOU doing to make this thing happen... besides bitching about other peoples work?

DrNoZone
12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
It's too late to do anything about it now, but I too was pretty disappointed. I'm glad it's only going to be run in one state. The campaign REALLY needs to reach out to the grassroots and start paying some of the amazingly talented and creative supporters to produce official stuff for the campaign.

TwiLeXia
12-17-2007, 03:36 PM
i think that the actual campaign isn't doing a good enough job. some of their 30 second ad simply plain SUCKS, i am being dead honest - such as the one about health care. Let's get some real ad makers using our money to make these ads, PLEASE. or at least make them more coherent, more persuasive, and less "normal political campaign." this is a REVOLUTION, and our ads have to PROVE IT!!

FreeTraveler
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
This forum has become a whinefest. Even as a Ron Paul supporter it's getting tough to read this forum anymore because its 70% whines, 20% people saying "Release this to the press" and 10% people who actually have something worth saying.

QFFT!

JS4Pat
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

People have tried.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I am from Iowa (or, was, up until a couple years ago), and I can tell you it's perfect.

me3
12-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Ditto. I was active here yesterday, but generally am spending less time posting and reading than I did a few weeks ago. It's become demoralizing to come on here at times.

anewvoice
12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I am from Iowa (or, was, up until a couple years ago), and I can tell you it's perfect.

It's ALL about the target demographic. Clearly the younger or more technologically capable crowd is already capable of finding info on Ron Paul.

sirachman
12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
It's ALL about the target demographic. Clearly the younger or more technologically capable crowd is already capable of finding info on Ron Paul.

QFT Now STFU people all you are doing is giving the media crap to quote and make us look like an unstable grassroots.

NewEnd
12-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Ya, it seems crafted solely for Iowa, and as long as it's only going to be used for Iowa then I'm ok with it.

+1

and 1 star for the thread.

Victrix
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
First off I am an Iowa voter

Second its great that the national campaign picked up on the infomerical idea (I had written in supporting it as a great idea) but I am pretty mix about the effectiveness of this infomercial

Paul comes across much different in this infomercial then he has in the debates and other interviews. The speech of him at the Iowa Straw Poll that they kept going back to makes him come across as angry and almost whiny (especially to a person not already familiar with him). I have seen the straw poll speech before and I never cared for it for this reason. I have seen him give much better stump speeches else where in Iowa that where much more positive and uplifting.

Paul was also not at his best in explaining his viewpoints and issues during the interview section of the ad. He lacked that principled and presidential aura that he has extruded in previous debates and interviews while under the gun. Like it or not, presenting this kind of aura or 'presidential-ness' is important in how people view and judge candidates and I just didnt get a sense of that from Paul in this ad.

And why did they have to lead in with the such a divisive issue as abortion?!? It would have been much better to tuck that into the middle or end of the whole thing and start with Ron's universal message of civil liberties, individual freedom and the Constitution. Moving that segment else where in the program instead of the beginning would be much better as it would avoid immediately turning off some people before they got to hear his whole message.

I highly recommend that we email the campaign voicing these concerns so that hopefully they will be able to address at least some of them before airing the thing this weekend.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/

AdamT
12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
First off I am an Iowa voter

Second its great that the national campaign picked up on the infomerical idea (I had written in supporting it as a great idea) but I am pretty mix about the effectiveness of this infomercial

Paul comes across much different in this infomercial then he has in the debates and other interviews. The speech of him at the Iowa Straw Poll that they kept going back to makes him come across as angry and almost whiny (especially to a person not already familiar with him). I have seen the straw poll speech before and I never cared for it for this reason. I have seen him give much better stump speeches else where in Iowa that where much more positive and uplifting.

Paul was also not at his best in explaining his viewpoints and issues during the interview section of the ad. He lacked that principled and presidential aura that he has extruded in previous debates and interviews while under the gun. Like it or not, presenting this kind of aura or 'presidential-ness' is important in how people view and judge candidates and I just didnt get a sense of that from Paul in this ad.

And why did they have to lead in with the such a divisive issue as abortion?!? It would have been much better to tuck that into the middle or end of the whole thing and start with Ron's universal message of civil liberties, individual freedom and the Constitution. Moving that segment else where in the program instead of the beginning would be much better as it would avoid immediately turning off some people before they got to hear his whole message.

I highly recommend that we email the campaign voicing these concerns so that hopefully they will be able to address at least some of them before airing the thing this weekend.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/

I'm very happy the campaign is doing an infomercial. However, they executed the production poorly, which is the problem here. I believe this infomercial will actually cost him votes, not gain them. The Ames speech is the worst speech they could've used, because of Ron's demeanor. This is very frustrating.

nathanmn
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Ok. Enough said.

I can assume it is already scheduled and paid for. For the complainers, if you want something done differently then do it yourself. There are grassroots supporters that have made their own ads and are airing them right now. Good for them. Good for the campaign for putting this infomercial together. We will all do the best we know how.