PDA

View Full Version : We need a guerrilla marketing blitz, ONE DAY, across the country

dlb8685
12-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Lets seriously put our heads together and come up with some good solid, unconventional ideas to build Ron Paul's name recognition. He's rolling in it right now, but still I would bet that maybe 25% of the country even knows his name.

The blimp was an amazing idea, and we need a good ten more of these. The most important thing is, whatever we do CAN'T be dependent on the Old Media for success. For example, if you have a rally and there's not 100,000 people at it, you're not going to get much news coverage. Furthermore, since they're all in one place, they won't be seen by all that many people. This means we lose because we're using Ron Paul supporters in an extremely inefficient manner. The beauty of the blimp is that even if it wouldn't have made a single Old Media news story, there would still be a million people in New Hampshire noticing a blimp flying around. Something like that is a conversation starter.

So seriously, lets put our heads together and think of the most insane, inane guerrilla marketing moves we can, to get his name recognition up to 100% by the primaries. And then let's implement all of them at the same time. Saturday December 29?

Ron2Win
12-17-2007, 01:35 AM
A web site with Ron Paul's best videos, quotes, and sound bites.

We then market with fliers, post cards, t-shirts, banners, talk to people just to visit the website.

If we can just get more people to listen to what the guy has to say, we would be in great shape.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-17-2007, 01:36 AM
That is a great idea. I was thinking about this same thing but I was thinking that we should have everyone submit an idea, then have some people that have some experience vote on the best one. Then everyone does that one idea. It becomes a contest, everyone can help each other organize if they want to, and there is a scorable effort at the end.

What do you think?

PimpBlimp
12-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Completely covering your car in Ron Paul posters and banners would get a lot of looks.

RSLudlum
12-17-2007, 01:43 AM
how bout some Ron Paul Campaign Processions on the hiways and most travelled roads in the meetup cities.

It could be the funeral procession for all the dept's., taxes, etc. that we want removed from our lives.

derdy
12-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Go do a sign wave. Unlike with battling the media to try to get your candidate on their station, you bypass the medium and go directly to the citizen. Sure, they can look the other way at the stop light. More than likely, they'll ask you why you're holding a sign in 30 degree weather when an avalanche of snow is coming down.

F*ck the old, dying media and their top-down approach to news. Knowledge is power and they're NOT sharing!

Get out to the streets people! That's guerrilla marketing!

Ron2Win
12-17-2007, 01:47 AM
We need to get people to listen to what the guy has to say. Nothing else.

If we do the standard "political" stuff it's nothing different than the others.

We need to shove Dr. Paul's quotes and speeches into people's face.

His words, will take care of the rest. As long as people are exposed to what he has to say. Whether they like it or not.

RSLudlum
12-17-2007, 01:52 AM
This entire campaign i've been thinking that we have got to get people to think in the terms of some great quotes from people in history that are held in high reverence.

Get them to think deeper than the "shallow issue based sound clips".

Maybe even wearing tshirts with different quotes on them each day, with some semblance of RP, name or website or his own quotes.

Ron2Win
12-17-2007, 01:55 AM
This entire campaign i've been thinking that we have got to get people to think in the terms of some great quotes from people in history that are held in high reverence.

Get them to think deeper than the "shallow issue based sound clips".

Maybe even wearing tshirts with different quotes on them each day, with some semblance of RP, name or website or his own quotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA&feature=related)

Check out the one in my signature also.

kojirodensetsu
12-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Ron Paul should have a baby eagle named after him like Stephen Colbert lol. :p

Delain
12-17-2007, 02:01 AM
The most valuable asset of the campaign is you, the Ron Paul supporters! Not only a force in numbers but much more importantly highly motivated and willing to actually do something.

Thats what you should utilize imo.

So it should be nationwide, so everyone can participate and it should be outrages enough to turn heads (in a positive way). :)

my2cts

Xepa
12-17-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm a marketing major so I can help out with this.
Probably some unconventional/creative marketing
with some involvement of mass transportation.

Here's what the "conserve denver water" campaign
did, and it was INCREDIBLY effective on a LOW ad.
Got buzz on marketing newsletters everywhere.

http://www.37signals.com/svn/images/denverwater01.jpg
http://inventorspot.com/files/images/denver%20water%20use%20only%20what%20you%20need%20 to.img_assist_custom.jpg

Or McDonalds "fresh salad" bulletin.
http://www.frederiksamuel.com/blog/images/mcdonalds_salad.jpg

Bus stops, subway stops, or any place where people
are STATIONARY and have nothing better to do. Never
interrupt people; give them something to occupy their time.

That's why advertising on Black Friday/day after christmas
when there are LONG LINES is always a great way to go.

If anyone wants to brainstorm with me, feel free to email me.

apexeffect@gmail.com

Or if anyone knows of any major movement, email me the link.

There is one group out there that's doing a "poster bomb" on
another ron paul website; not sure how they're doing it but it's
an intruiging idea.

dlb8685
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
The advantage to having things happen close to a freeway is that truckers are apparently insanely pro Ron Paul. I already did this once with a big sign, and while maybe 5% of the cars honked, 10% or even 15% of the truckers did. I'm not making this up. Their horns are very loud too, compared to the average car.

Secondly, a sign wave where half the signs are typical Ron Paul signs, and where other signs say "LOW TAXES!", "SOUND MONEY!", "TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ", "NO PATRIOT ACT" and the like, so that even an idiot could get a basic understanding of what he stands for without having to take the trouble to Google his name, couldn't hurt any.

Think12345
12-17-2007, 02:28 AM
other signs say "LOW TAXES!", "SOUND MONEY!", "TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ", "NO PATRIOT ACT" and the like, so that even an idiot could get a basic understanding of what he stands for without having to take the trouble to Google his name, couldn't hurt any.
+1

hyoomen
12-17-2007, 02:31 AM
I think this is a great idea, personally. No matter what success the money bombs have had, if people don't see or know the name Ron Paul in their local environments the message is easily lost.

Too bad it is so close to the 25th already -- a "Happy Xmas -- War is Over" blitz with the tagline "If you want him...Ron Paul" would be pretty cool.

January 20th will be one year from inauguration day. We could stage massive inauguration celebrations all over the country. Unfortunately, it falls on another Sunday; I strongly believe TeaParty07 could have been more successful with business day media.

MLK Day & Presidents' Day are also upcoming holidays, though I'm as skeptical about holiday media as I am about Sunday media.

I think printable (PDF) flyers could be designed and made public and tied to various guerilla/viral marketing attempts all for one day.

Rubberstamp or stencil money for one solid day.

Do a Yippie-style "fiat currency" release at the stock exchange.

National t-shirt day with a pledge to spend 1-2 hrs walking in high traffic areas.

Design & publish Ron Paul face masks online for people to print, cut out, and wear while walking around in public.

Crop circles for Ron Paul in Iowa before primary.

There are so many options.

-Rob

AceNZ
12-17-2007, 03:26 AM
There's a lot that could be done, although it's usually pretty difficult for people here to accept out-of-the-box thinking -- so it will definitely be a challenge.

First, what are our strengths? Ideas, the Constitution, RP himself, of course. But the big one, the one that the other candidates don't have, is people. Huge numbers of people in meetup groups, huge numbers of people who have donated their hard-earned money. Those people are a big advantage for us, and we would be fools not to leverage them to their fullest.

I think we should leave conventional media to the campaign. That's what the donated money is largely for.

If you're looking for a guerrilla blitz, I think we should avoid conventional campaign tactics -- things like signs, posters, t-shirts, etc. It's too easy for people to tune them out. I also think that stunts that are designed to attract MSM attention are a bad idea. As we've repeatedly seen, it's all-too-easy for the MSM to ignore the stunts, even when they're incredibly newsworthy.

The real goal here should be to get people to not only know who RP is, but to vote for him when the time comes. The most effective way to do that is to talk with them. The most efficient way to talk with people is one-to-many -- as in speeches.

So how can we combine our best asset -- lots of supporters -- with the most effective voter-conversion tool -- talks or speeches?

Maybe something like walking around handing out fliers in crowded areas for a few days, followed by meetings with a brief presentation by meetup members on RP's positions, followed by a Q&A session. The fliers would have some info about RP and an invitation to the meetings. The meetings could be held at local hotels, where DVDs and additional hand-outs would be available.

Another twist might be to use the Tupperware sales model. Meetup members each get something like 5 or 6 people (undecided voters) to come to a meeting.

People who aren't in meetups or who don't want to walk around and hand out fliers could be provided with a PDF customized for their area, which they could email or snail mail to their friends, in a low-pressure way. Something more than a Slim Jim. Again, the goal would be to get people to attend in-person meetings.

Meetups could also call local groups where many people are already going to be in one place, and offer to hold one of these events. It might be churches, military or ex-military, universities, or I know some large companies (such as Microsoft) often encourage these sorts of activities.

A central website could be created to track meeting places and times, and to provide links to additional info, YouTube videos, etc. Meetup members could be provided with a slide deck to help them present RP's views in a consistent way.

We might need an additional hook of some kind to entice people to attend these sorts of meetings. The language on the fliers would need to be carefully crafted (emotion-evoking phrases like "How would you like to not have to pay income taxes any more?"). Or maybe offer cool door prizes, food, etc.

That's just one idea, of course....

Man from La Mancha
12-17-2007, 03:30 AM
How many people would it take to hold hands across the whole USA for Ron Paul, the man who brings the nation together? From shore to shore.

TwiLeXia
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
i think we still haven't fully penetrated the online community yet with RP's message. for example facebook.com doesn't have as many RP supporters, as there are obama supporters.

we should also work hard to convince those who have some degree of power about Ron Paul. for example, pastors, local government officials, company managers/bosses, businessowners, etc. people are more than not likely to follow the lead of their superior, and so if you have any friends who are in the managerial position, try to focus on them. (of course that should not be the only people you speak to)

consider ourselves apostles of Ron Paul - much like the followers of Jesus Christ, we need to spread our message through simple oratory to our friends and family about the good news of Ron Paul!! =D

leftinthemidwest
12-17-2007, 03:41 AM
RE: AceNZ

agreed. In the various electoral and issue campaigns, I have been involved in all utilized what we dubbed, "walk'n'talks". Simply walking targets areas and talking to people seems like a no brainer but isnt done enough.

AceNZ
12-17-2007, 03:42 AM
How many people would it take to hold hands across the whole USA for Ron Paul, the man who brings the nation together? From shore to shore.

It's about 3,000 miles from one coast to the other, or about 15.8M feet. Assuming an optimistic 6 feet per person reach, that would be 2.64M people. Since they would need to live relatively close to the center of the country, combined with other logistical issues (roads, etc), that doesn't seem possible.

AceNZ
12-17-2007, 04:04 AM
RE: AceNZ

agreed. In the various electoral and issue campaigns, I have been involved in all utilized what we dubbed, "walk'n'talks". Simply walking targets areas and talking to people seems like a no brainer but isnt done enough.

The twist here would be to take walk'n'talks to the next level by incorporating a follow-up event that facilitates communicating with potential voters in detail in a more efficient, one-to-many format. And also to provide a way for people who don't have the time/energy/desire to walk'n'talk themselves to reach out to their contacts and invite them to a place where they can learn more.

If I'm walking in a mall or on the street or something like that, I'm probably not going to want to spend 30 to 60 minutes learning about a candidate from some meetup member. But I might be willing to listen for 30 to 60 seconds, take a flier home, and go to a group event -- especially if something in that initial introduction really got my attention.

We have two psychological factors working in our favor with this idea. First, for people who've already given time or money to the campaign, asking them to do a little something more is very likely to work. They are already invested, so they're motivated to make that initial investment be worthwhile. On the potential voter side, if you can bring them into a group, then the power of group persuasion comes into play. When there are a bunch of other people around you saying how great something is, it's easy to start believing that yourself. Enthusiasm is contagious. When it's one-on-one on the street, it's much easier for someone to say "no, bad idea".

If the funds are available, Walk'n'Talkers could be provided with a few extra "tools" -- perhaps buttons that say things like "Abolish the Income Tax" or "Inflation is Hidden Taxation", etc., or maybe one button for each issue that each person is conversant about, "Taxes", "Immigration", "Abortion", "Hard Money", etc.

Man from La Mancha
12-17-2007, 04:14 AM
It's about 3,000 miles from one coast to the other, or about 15.8M feet. Assuming an optimistic 6 feet per person reach, that would be 2.64M people. Since they would need to live relatively close to the center of the country, combined with other logistical issues (roads, etc), that doesn't seem possible.
Thanks for those fiquires, the idea just popped in my head:p