PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Christmas Food Drive!!!

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
You know what the press and skeptics always chide us on? That our libertarian ideals are rooted in fantasy. That, despite all of our talk of the potential for regular people to help those in need (rather than a large federal government diluting funds and spreading apathy), we are truly out for ourselves, and want a smaller government for selfish reasons.

The best way I can think of to ebb that tide of thinking is pretty simple: what if we did a Ron Paul Food Drive for Christmas? I know it won't put any more money in the pockets of the campaign, but it's a great example of how we intend to take care of those in need if government support is removed. It's a preview of the future Ron Paul Presidency, and the action of its people; and it's another way for people to get excited about just what we're capable of.

I'm not dead set on a food drive specifically, but does anyone have a certain charity act in mind that all of our meetup groups could head up? I feel like it's worth strong consideration.

(I pasted this from Grassroots Central, as most traffic is here right now).

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Bump!

Edward
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
See previous thread: Christmas food drive (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=38682)

boondoggle
12-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll donate if it happens.

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
My idea is that we just find a public forum for our meetups to host an event at (church, library...anything). Then, ask everyone in your town to donate. We could get local press and churches in on it, but the entire thing will be headed up by Ron Paul meetup groups. Just flier really hard, get as much local support as you can, and (depending on what we're allowed to do) have voter registration and Ron Paul information readily available.

That's not even the main point though. We're all good people, we claim that people like us will take care of the problems that arise if we remove government funding in those areas. Well, let's prove it before we even have to.

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Ah, just saw the previous thread. Great minds think alike!

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Let's get organized on this idea! We have less than 2 weeks!

greendiseaser
12-17-2007, 12:46 AM
This is a great idea, but donations should be filtered first through some sort of trust where the donations can be TOTALED first?

Maybe it sounds sketchy, but someone with the "movement" should be able to draft a legal contract which puts the entity in question in some sort of quazi-non-profit (i think real non profit status is regulated and hard to achieve, at least in 2 weeks) pass-thru entity which has a charter with the donors, requiring it to give 100% after expense proceeds (with SPECIFIED limited expense budget -- ie very small) to whichever charity, charity pool or other specified recipient is desired.

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!
WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW...

:D :D :D