PDA

View Full Version : Ask Radio Stations to Discuss C-SPAN exclusion

MozoVote
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Here are two letters I wrote to WBT and addressed to Tara Servatius. (tservatius@wbt.com) Notice that I never mentioned Ron Paul. I kept this argumuent squarely in the realm of providing adequate campaign coverage.
-----------------------------------------------------
Tara, I am following an item, which I would greatly appreciate your help in speaking
out on.

On June 30, six Republican candidates were invited to the "Iowans for Tax Relief"
forum (a sham organization which is more interested in tax breaks for big business
than for individual tax payers). Deliberately excluded was one candidate, a ten-term
Congressman, whom the organizers dubbed "not a significant candidate"
- in spite of his strong record of voting against tax increases.

This candidate rented the adjacent room, and gave a speech to a crowd that many
observers think was twice the size of the one available to the other candidates.
It was a fine speech (clips of which are available on YouTube).

Yesterday, C-SPAN advertised that they would air footage of all seven candidates.
Yet, mysteriously, the final candidate was excluded at the last minute. C-SPAN is
saying "They have a 'policy' (cough) of only airing their own tapes,
and that the recordings were not 'good enough' to air (yeah right)."

I think this is baloney. C-SPAN is ostensibly a balanced representative of the media,
but is unwilling to air this speech, because it does not align with the Bush administration's
views.

Will you open some air time to address this issue? How can we have meaningful debate
about the future of this country, when we pretned there is no dissent worth hearing?

I know I can find many people interested in this speech, and angry that C-SPAN is
brushing aside it's responsibility to cover the campaign.

Thank You
/me/

-----------------------------------------------------

Tara, I have a few more points I'd like to make.

This topic has made some inroads in the news. AM 540 West Florida discussed it on the air today, and the commentator allowed callers to pick through the dirty pool politics taking place.

You have said yourself in prior broadcasts, that people can make a difference when they stand up and speak, such as with the need to request additional funding for our prosecuters in Mecklenburg county.

The hypocritical approach of C-SPAN toward the forums in Iowa, needs to be exposed to the dry air of open scrutiny. Even though I am paying attention to this within the scope of Republican politics, I am objective enough to say that if the same series of events had taken place in the Democrats' camp, that the excluded candidate (as well as the public) is getting a bum deal.

America deserves better reporting of the presidential campaign, than C-SPAN is delivering right now. To add insult to injury, C-SPAN has replayed the Iowa speeches today - and again excluded the candidate who brought more people to Des Moines, than all six other candidates could.

Regards,
/me/

UtahApocalypse
07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
C-SPAN is probally the only news source that IS giving equal time to ALL candidates. Just because we are not on ALL the time does not mean we are being excluded. The show was about the ITR/ICA event. We all know that Ron Paul was not invited to that. But none the less that was what the show was about. We can't be over zealous about our battles and need to pick them carefully. C-SPAN so far has given Dr. Paul more coverage than an other networks. Lets not burn down what we have.