PDA

View Full Version : The TV Show that got me into politics.. recommended to all political newbies!

Prez4TheNet
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
During my college years I used to watch a TV series called "The West Wing" and it allowed me to learn tremendously about our political system and made me more aware of how government works.

The show basically tracked the day by day workings of a Democratic President, Josiah Bartlett, and the issues that him and his staff dealt with everyday.

The writing was excellent, the dialogue flowed very smoothly... quite frankly, it was the best TV show ever. Sadly, it was taken off the air but not before a political underdog ended up becoming the next President!

One of my favorite quotes from the show that I still haven't forgotten after all these years is the following:

People want leadership and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

We've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

Anyways its an entertaining watch and I'd recommend anyone to pick up the DVD sets.