PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising idea. Legal?

Thirst_4_Liberty
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Rough idea an possibly thought of before ,but say we created a bank account. A paypal account for instance where people could send money for Ron. Like the people from overseas who support him but are not us citizens. Or you could have a site like garage sales 4 paul where people could send garage sale proceeds (anything real....toilet sales 4 Paul...doesn't matter.). Stay with me. I am sure some people have donated the $2300 limit but with this account we could proxy donate money through other names by just giving them a portion of the money to donate. For instance I have only donated $70 because I am a poor college kid but if someone were to give me $2,230(or atleast put my name on it) it could go to Paul. Legality?

AisA1787
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Sell a maxed-out donor your toilet seat for $2,230 and then donate it to RP. There shouldn't be a problem because, based on the example set by our government, that's a perfectly reasonable price for items with similar value to toilet seats :D

Just kidding obviously. Like most other things, I think your idea would be legal depending on how good your lawyer is...

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
the only problem is that for random people to be able to add funds to an account like that, they would have to have the account information. what would keep a person from stealing the money instead?

kylejack
12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Extremely illegal.

Thirst_4_Liberty
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Sell a maxed-out donor your toilet seat for $2,230 and then donate it to RP. There shouldn't be a problem because, based on the example set by our government, that's a perfectly reasonable price for items with similar value to toilet seats :D

Just kidding obviously. Like most other things, I think your idea would be legal depending on how good your lawyer is...

Yeah I mean I don't see the problem. We are just giving money to someone with the only requirement being that they immediately donate it to RON :D.

Thirst_4_Liberty
12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
the only problem is that for random people to be able to add funds to an account like that, they would have to have the account information. what would keep a person from stealing the money instead?

No Paypal is sent through e-mail. Donors could not just take as they please :)

Thirst_4_Liberty
12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Extremely illegal.

Good explanation :(

kylejack
12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
You can't donate money for other people. If you want to learn more about it, merely scratching the surface would have answered this question for you, because its one of the most notable parts of campaign finance law.

francioshouse
12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
This idea is illegal for Many reasons. 1) You MUST be a US citizen to donate. 2) You CANNOT donate for someone else.