PDA

View Full Version : How to start a discussion about RP without offending?

rp4prez
07-04-2007, 07:37 PM
So I'm on several other sites and in real life I'm very careful about how I talk about Ron Paul because I have found that a lot of people are very uncomfortable talking about politics. I don't want them to feel like I'm pushing something on them but that's never the reaction I seem to get so I back off.

Anyway, do any of you all have any suggestions as how to approach the subject gently?

DjLoTi
07-04-2007, 07:46 PM
You guys voting in 08?

ChrisM
07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Real life examples:

To somebody who is completely apolitical: "Why do you hate politics?"

To somebody who just turned 18: "So now you can vote!"

Chester Copperpot
07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
So I'm on several other sites and in real life I'm very careful about how I talk about Ron Paul because I have found that a lot of people are very uncomfortable talking about politics. I don't want them to feel like I'm pushing something on them but that's never the reaction I seem to get so I back off.

Anyway, do any of you all have any suggestions as how to approach the subject gently?

Ill suggest what *I* do.. I buy as many presidential dollar coins as I can each week and spend them for anything I do.. when I go to McDonalds, get Pizza, get a haircut, restaurant, shopping, whatever.. people will usually ask me why I carry around all these coins....

and thats when I go into a little discussion about the federal reserve. and then I can bring up how only Ron Paul is talking about this stuff.

To make it easier for people to understand quickly.. I carry 2 types of $2 Bills with me. a regular green seal federal reserve note.. and a red seal United States note... When the people see the difference in the bills they understand within seconds... literally 30 seconds they 'get it'... without the visual of the red vs. green money its much harder to explain these things to people who arent in the know...

But this works EVERY time.. because there is no good reason why we should be buying our own dollar bills instead of issuing them ourselves..

and then when you explain the the income tax goes to pay for the green seal money.. well people are seeing red then.. it works real good

RPR-omaha
07-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Mike, where did you find those bills at? Those visual aids sound really helpful.

Korey Kaczynski
07-04-2007, 08:21 PM
"Vote Ron Paul, dumbass."

RonPaulGetsIt
07-04-2007, 08:41 PM
There are many easy ways to bring up Ron Paul. Any of the following topics can provide a trasnition to bringing up Ron Paul: Libby sentence commuting, democrats not following though on ending iraq war, forced vaccinations for 11 yr old girls, giving fingerprints at disney or six flags, fear mongering about war on terror, cheney thinking he is above the law. In casual conversation, just say that all politicians seem to be corrupt except this congressman from texas named Ron Paul who is running for president. He's actually got a huge following now but you won't hear about him on main stream media. Check him out on you tube and the forums. Say you are kind of surprised to be this interested in these topics but now that you have looked into them and thought about them you realize the world will be a better place if we all did cared about what used to be glossed over as boring. Guage their response and either leave it at that or bring up a few more specifics.

SeanEdwards
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, you could try communicating like this other poster to these forums:

You peice of treasonous scum! The days are coming soon when you filthy rats will be driven out of your online stench holes into the real world where decent folks can take a good look at ya before you get dragged away with meat hooks.

Isn't he charming?

CurtisLow
07-04-2007, 09:17 PM
"Vote Ron Paul, dumbass."

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/5150/lolcy8.gif
I like the direct approach...hehe

ChrisM
07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Ill suggest what *I* do.. I buy as many presidential dollar coins as I can each week and spend them for anything I do.. when I go to McDonalds, get Pizza, get a haircut, restaurant, shopping, whatever.. people will usually ask me why I carry around all these coins....

and thats when I go into a little discussion about the federal reserve. and then I can bring up how only Ron Paul is talking about this stuff.

To make it easier for people to understand quickly.. I carry 2 types of $2 Bills with me. a regular green seal federal reserve note.. and a red seal United States note... When the people see the difference in the bills they understand within seconds... literally 30 seconds they 'get it'... without the visual of the red vs. green money its much harder to explain these things to people who arent in the know...

But this works EVERY time.. because there is no good reason why we should be buying our own dollar bills instead of issuing them ourselves..

and then when you explain the the income tax goes to pay for the green seal money.. well people are seeing red then.. it works real good
It's a good idea, but I'm against a dollar coin citing practicality reasons, not necessarily legal reasons. I'd rather carry a receipt giving me share worth one dollar in Congress' stock of precious metals than the actual precious metal.

Silverback
07-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Get a T-shirt, and a bumper sticker, and a sign in your yard. Join a meetup and hold a rally or stand on a corner.

I'm always amazed how many people will ask questions based on seeing a shirt or a sticker. Cold sales is a tricky business, but by passively putting his name out and inviting questions you get active interest AND plant a seed for those that see but aren't ready to listen.

Some of them will seek out info themselves, others will be more receptive later.

Works for coworkers and family members too where bringing up politics may be inappropriate, let them know you're a Paul supporter and let them initiate the conversation.

Birdlady
07-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a RP button on my purse and lots of people ask me who Ron Paul is. That makes it really easy!

rp4prez
07-04-2007, 09:58 PM
these are all great ideas! any thoughts about something at my cube at work that isn't obtrusive that would be a conversation starter?

Brandybuck
07-04-2007, 10:12 PM
If it's not a political forum, then I would back off. Posting off-topic opinions is only going to alienate people. When I go to a gaming forum, or software forum, I don't want to hear about Guiliani or Thompson. And other poeple there similarly don't want to hear you talk about Ron Paul. I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but we need to be polite and well mannered when out in the "real world". We need to follow the rules of netiquette.

But nothing's stopping you from using a Ron Paul related signature on your email. I do this on other forums, and no one has complained yet.

ronpaulitician
07-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Bumper stickers and T-shirts will do most of the work. I've had several people approach me with the question "Who's Ron Paul?" at work because of the RP bumper sticker I put on my work monitor.

Chester Copperpot
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Mike, where did you find those bills at? Those visual aids sound really helpful.

You can get Regular $2 bills at a bank.. I got a few red seal ones from there also.. but there old from 1963.. not usual.. the bank happens to save their $2 bills and all their dollar coins for me so I happen to get it like that sometimes..

You can usually pick up red seal money at a flea market .. you could probably buy a $2 red seal for $5... on the old 1928 red seal it even said that the note was legal tender for all debts EXCEPT for interest on the national debt.. and that statement PROVES that the people who make the green seal money dont want their debt paid off by red seal money.

you can buy em on ebay Im sure as well.

Heres an example of an older Red seal note.. note the printing on the red seal itself
"This note is legal tender at its face value for all debts public and private EXCEPT DUTIES ON IMPORTS AND INTEREST ON THE PUBLIC DEBT."
(AS we know interest on the public debt is paid for by the federal Income tax. these people were slick fuckers... still are)
http://aes.iupui.edu/rwise/banknotes/glen_johnson/0910a.jpg

Chester Copperpot
07-04-2007, 10:47 PM
It's a good idea, but I'm against a dollar coin citing practicality reasons, not necessarily legal reasons. I'd rather carry a receipt giving me share worth one dollar in Congress' stock of precious metals than the actual precious metal.

I agree with you. But for now the only way you can use govt issued money is thru coins. (or red seal paper money)

Once we get rid of the fedreal reserve paper would be better if for no other reason than just using the coins the metal wears away from being rubbed so much.. you wind up losing gold and silver that way. But im sure this was part of the reasno they went to paper then everything went to hell