PDA

View Full Version : Every donation has a processing fee. Do not donate in bits

jrich4rpaul
12-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Every donation has a transaction fee. So by breaking your donations up into smaller parts, you're costing the campaign lots of money.

Pick the best time for you and donate in one big chunk.

reverse
12-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Source?

And if you're talking CC charges, isn't it just a percentage of what we pay?

Richandler
12-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Source?

And if you're talking CC charges, isn't it just a percentage of what we pay?

No, it's a straight charge for every use.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-16-2007, 05:12 AM
No, it's a straight charge for every use.

It's a base fee PLUS a percentage.

wisconsinite
12-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Not to mention a higher total earlier in the day will sound more impressive in any news reports today.

JMO
12-16-2007, 05:20 AM
I think its 20-30 cents plus a percentage like 1-3% for each transaction.

Chicago Joe
12-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Yes, I am a small business owner. It is usually 10-30 cents Plus 1-5% depending on the card for the online processing. Visa & Mastercard in all likelihood have lower rates compared to Discover/AmEx, so use Visa/MC if you have them!

blamx8
12-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Agree, go in one chunk so your donation costs the campaign less. The only time multiple donations is better is when you thought you had given all you were going to, but the liberty bug bites you, and you just have to give more. That's OK. :)

romeshomey
12-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Every donation has a transaction fee. So by breaking your donations up into smaller parts, you're costing the campaign lots of money.

Pick the best time for you and donate in one big chunk.

Hey, get a footprint will ya?

So, you are trying to tell us that if we donate, it costs the campaign money?

Just be thankful we donate and shut your trap.

I already have to deal with my wife yelling at me for giving the campaign money when we could be donating it to children with diseases or children who are starving or kids who will be without a Christmas this year or without a roof over their heads and I have to come on here after giving a donation to Dr. Pauls campaign and read some guy telling me that my donation is costing the campaign money?

Get a life.

Have a nice day.

Maybe I'll give me extra money to that kid who's dying of cancer who can't afford the treatment instead next time since its costing the campaign money for me to donate here.

I bet those people won't complain.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:01 AM
^^^Well that was rude....

Anyway....

Transaction fees are real and I thought common sense. Been saying it for a week.

One lump sum is best. ;)

12-16-2007, 06:04 AM

I already have to deal with my wife yelling at me for giving the campaign money when we could be donating it to children with diseases or children who are starving or kids who will be without a Christmas this year or without a roof over their heads and I have to come on here after giving a donation to Dr. Pauls campaign and read some guy telling me that my donation is costing the campaign money?

Get a life.

Have a nice day.

Every one of these donations is costing the campaign a buck or two. We're just trying to encourage the folks who were planning on donating $5 or $10 dozens of times throughout the day to just put it all into one big chunk, so that Visa and Mastercard can't get their hands on as much of the donations.

kushaze
12-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Transaction fees don't effect the banner's total, so I don't care. Its my money and I can do what I want with it.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Its my money and I can do what I want with it.

Ok...ignore friendly help...waste it....we don't care....just trying to help...:rolleyes:

romeshomey
12-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Every one of these donations is costing the campaign a buck or two. We're just trying to encourage the folks who were planning on donating $5 or $10 dozens of times throughout the day to just put it all into one big chunk, so that Visa and Mastercard can't get their hands on as much of the donations.

If it isn't Visa or Mastercard, you'd be paying someone $10 / hour to open the envelopes and enter the data manually, or someone would be investing their time volunteering. Either way, someones going to pay for the processing.

12-16-2007, 06:10 AM
If it isn't Visa or Mastercard, you'd be paying someone $10 / hour to open the envelopes and enter the data manually, or someone would be investing their time volunteering. Either way, someones going to pay for the processing.

Rrrrrriiiight, but that's not the point. The point is, if you were going to donate $100 in $5 increments all day long, MasterCard is probably going to get $50 of your donations for the day or something, because each individual credit card donation takes away a base transaction fee, whereas if you just donated it all at once, they'd only get a couple bucks or so.

Nobody's demanding anyone donate a certain way, ... it's just a friendly suggestion so that Ron Paul gets more money and MasterCard gets less.

rs3515
12-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I'll second the comment from the small business owner above, since I'm also a business owner. Making small payments throughout the day costs the campaign more money. Using AmEx instead of MasterCard or Visa costs the campaign more money.

People can do whatever they want, but do realize these things add up on tons of little transactions.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Business owner *Raises hand......been saying this all week.....

Why would you argue just to argue...this is sound advice....just donate you total and sit back...

Edit: Post #666....creepy..MAUHaHahahahAHaHahhahahhhhaaaaaa

rs3515
12-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Edit: Post #666....creepy..MAUHaHahahahAHaHahhahahhhhaaaaaa

I'd recommend as quickly as possible making another post. ;)

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd recommend as quickly as possible making another post. ;)

DONE!

....WHew.....my eyes started to bleed there for a minute ;)

BirdsAreWild
12-16-2007, 06:34 AM
People need to print out the mail in contribution form and carry it with them also. There are many people who don't have internet and would like to contribute but don't know how. This will help the contributions quite a bit if everyone would carry a few of these with them to distribute. It won't count for the Tea Party but every contribution helps.

jrich4rpaul
12-16-2007, 06:42 AM

Get a life.

Have a nice day.

Maybe I'll give me extra money to that kid who's dying of cancer who can't afford the treatment instead next time since its costing the campaign money for me to donate here.

I was saying that spreading donations out over the course of the day means that every seperate transaction is another fee, while giving it all in one chunk is only one fee, saving the campaign money.

Get a life

Learn to read

Have a nice day

12-16-2007, 06:45 AM
I was saying that spreading donations out over the course of the day means that every seperate transaction is another fee, while giving it all in one chunk is only one fee, saving the campaign money.

Get a life

Learn to read

Have a nice day

Hey, this is THE day to unify behind Ron Paul--let's not return the rudeness, no matter how rude he was to you. We just can't afford to be divisive today.

jrich4rpaul
12-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Hey, this is THE day to unify behind Ron Paul--let's not return the rudeness, no matter how rude he was to you. We just can't afford to be divisive today.

True.

I've just always let things slide before. I was due for an outburst :o

CelestialRender
12-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Get a life.

Have a nice day.

Check your attitude at the door, please.

To the OP: It's preferrable for people to donate in large chunks, but it's not that big a deal really.

azam
12-16-2007, 07:39 AM
there should be a cc charge which is usually about 2% or so. There is no fee for Googlecheckout. Even at 1% this money is significant. You will see a straight charge but there should be a bank charge for this transaction. Also some CC charge more like AMEX. I would stay stick with Visa or MC.

azam
12-16-2007, 07:45 AM
There is no per transaction fee for larger processing companies. There is only % fee. So go ahead and donate as much and as many time as you want.

crasster
12-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I would think they would have the expensive credit card service that just charges a high monthly fee without transaction fees.

Small business only buys small service.

Dunno, but unless the campaign says there is a transaction fee, I'd not assume they had one.

I'm sure Wal-Mart for example isn't shelling 1-3% of sales to the Credit Card companies.

JS4Pat
12-16-2007, 07:51 AM
When you buy supplies in the OFFICIAL STORE at RonPaul2008.com does that amount apply to the OFFICIAL DONATION counter the same way a straight donation does?

Here is the link:
http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/StoreFront

wisconsinite
12-16-2007, 07:52 AM
If you were thinking of keeping some money for later, GIVE IT AWAY NOW! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdDQb6WdSVI)

1913_to_2008
12-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Here's how it works. I was selling credit card machines for a while.

$.75 per transaction.

Plus the (discount rate) fee 1.72% of the transaction.

I'm serious, this is what it cost. Any merchant will tell you. sometimes they can get their discount rate lowered a bit though.

This is why some stores won't let you use a card unless the transaction is big enough. additionally if there's a debit card option and you have to pin the # in you can save him $.75

turbosaab
12-16-2007, 08:47 AM
There is no per transaction fee for larger processing companies. There is only % fee. So go ahead and donate as much and as many time as you want.

+1. This isn't a corner convenience store, it's a multimillion dollar ecommerce website. Unless they are completely clueless, they should have be getting a very good rate (around 2% for Visa, MasterCard, Discover, more like 3% for AMEX) and NO TRANSACTION FEE.

So donate what you want, when you want, and don't worry about "costing the campaign money" (it's your money anyway).

LinuxUser269
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Its all income, ....like he(RP) said he did not have to pay to have someone raise the money . I am going to give 4 $25 donations throughout the day.Then I am going to buy some stuff from the campaign store.

Im going to have fun with this day ,It is my entertainment for the day.

Thank you for the information... I knew there would be some sort of chargre

hugh8jass
12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm sure Wal-Mart for example isn't shelling 1-3% of sales to the Credit Card companies.

Actually, Wal-Mart tried to start their own bank as an attempt to escape these fees.
Banking regulators said no way.

LinuxUser269
12-16-2007, 08:31 PM
for you in a lump sum!

hoot hoot

Thank you for your generous donation of $50.00!
Contribution received!

Thank you very much for your donation to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

You will receive an email shortly with a confirmation number.

The project code you entered was: PSIMON

agasys
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
You were ripping people off with your machines, then, 1913_to_2008.

I pay $.25 per transaction plus the % fee, and I'm a small business.
RP probably has a deal to pay even less than that.

Put it into perspective...

If you give $50 four times, instead of $200 at once, it will cost the campaign an additional $.75 in processing fees. Not a big deal. Give whenever you want.