PDA

View Full Version : Guys, do NOT use fake names.

rory096
12-16-2007, 01:47 AM
The FEC could get very, very angry. Use your real names; fake names could make Paul look bad.

DON'T DO IT.

* The media WILL twist this into yet another negative issue.

* The fake names are being put into the "contact information" fields, which means that you contact info may be excluded from the campaign database, making it look like there are less supporters (see the news coverage on Obama getting 20,000 names from Oprah fronted rallys).

* It will cause extra work for the campaign office as they now have to sift through, verify and remove false information like this. Time is money and this extra work means that MONEY YOU JUST DONATED IS BEING WASTED.

You would think this is common sense. :/ Blah.

Not only is making campaign contributions under a false name not allowed, but the campaign cannot knowingly accept such contributions.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) directly prohibits any person from making political contributions in the name of another. Title 2 U.S.C. § 441f.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/11cfr110.4.htm

From the FEC website:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contrib.shtml#Prohibited_Contributions

Contributions in the Name of Another

Contributions made by one person in the name of another are prohibited. No person may knowingly permit the use of his or her name to effect such a contribution. It is also prohibited to knowingly assist someone in making or to accept a contribution in the name of another. It is also unlawful to knowingly permit the use of one's name to effect a contribution in the name of another or to help someone make or accept such a contribution. 11 CFR 110.4(b).

Edit: The name on the credit card is not good enough, as a credit card may be in a nickname. My real first name isn't on my credit card. The campaign is reqired to provide your first and last name.

It creates problems for the campaign. They will end up being subtracted from our total today. This is what they have to go through when recieving prohibited contributions:

Handling Illegal Contributions

The treasurer of a committee is responsible for ensuring that all contributions are lawful. 11 CFR 103.3(b). If the treasurer has reason to suspect that a contribution is excessive or prohibited, he or she must, within 10 days of receiving the contribution, either return the contribution to the donor or deposit the contribution. 11 CFR 103.3(a). If the contribution is deposited, the treasurer must:

Maintain sufficient funds in the account to refund the contribution should it prove to be illegal or place the contribution in a separate account for this purpose;

Keep written records noting the basis for the appearance of illegality;
Note that the legality of the contribution is in question when reporting the receipt of the contribution; and

Comply with appropriate deadlines (see sections below).
11 CFR 103.3(b)(4) and (5).

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Just saw a "Rudy Giuliani" donating from NJ. :p

hawkeyenick
12-16-2007, 01:48 AM
The FEC could get very, very angry. Use your real names; fake names could make Paul look bad.

no one is using a fake name

rory096
Just saw a "Rudy Giuliani" donating from NJ. :p

Me too.

TheDHC
yea, i just saw a donation from someone named "I AM SUPER AWESOME"

:rolleyes:

real names > i am super awesome

jrich4rpaul

Seriously. Getting all those donations voided is not a good thing.

Finn
We are making fun of them, to me that's a revolutionary act.

But oh well, guess you're right.

edit. I mean if people use names like Hillary that's cool in my books.

dmspilot00
Yeah, shouldn't this be common sense? I don't know why people are doing this.

rory096
Ah, so there really are multiple Rudy Giulianis and at least one Hillary Clinton donating?

Chomsky
Are you saying it would be a bad idea to go ahead with my plan of donating as Osama bin Laden?

skinzterpswizfan
12-16-2007, 01:49 AM

Someone named Hillary Clinton from New York, New York donated to the campaign. Something tells me it was a fake name.

aspiringconstitutionalist
I would avoid using fake names, but as I start to think about it, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem unless you give your real name on your credit card info... I mean, how many people use nicknames that bear no resemblance to their actual first names and how many people accidentally make typos in their names? Does the FCC get on the case of all those people?

rory096
Seriously. Getting all those donations voided is not a good thing.
Indeed.

Incrimsonias
I would guess they are making 1 dollar donations and doing that stuff. Possibly...

rory096
I would avoid using fake names, but as I start to think about it, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem unless you give your real name on your credit card info... I mean, how many people use nicknames that bear no resemblance to their actual first names and how many people accidentally make typos in their names? Does the FCC get on the case of all those people?
No, but we don't want to invite them to do so.

conner_condor
12-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Next thing we know these people are part of an identity theft and RP supporters are the culprit.:D RP supporters stole the identification of rudy hillary huck mitt.:D:D I would be roaring if they claimed this as a plan.:D:D

puppetmaster
12-16-2007, 01:51 AM
You have to enter official info for the credit or debit card....not the same as the display name

seefate
12-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Here we go again.. :(

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/37098/2001761177666894604_th.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001761177666894604)

honkywill
12-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Are you saying it would be a bad idea to go ahead with my plan of donating as Osama bin Laden?

God dammit, Noam! Just use your real name.

Chomsky
12-16-2007, 01:53 AM
God dammit, Noam! Just use your real name.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Ben Bernanke,

Thank you very much for your donation of $300.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

Thanks for being a part of the campaign!

TruePatriot44
Using fake names lowers the credibility of the money bomb. People are going to be skeptical with this crap. It needs to end.

Chomsky
You have to enter official info for the credit or debit card....not the same as the display name
Exactly, have you people not donated before...sheesh, calm down!

ConstitutionGal
12-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Actually, I think that as long as you use your real name on the credit/debit card info side of the donation screen, it really shouldn't matter what you put in as your display name for the widget (which pulls from the left side of the donation screen). Besides, ya gotta admit that seeing Hillary Clinton go by really was pretty funny ;-)

AlexAmore
12-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Damn I was gonna donate as God and show that Huckabee who's boss. I suppose I shall just use a human name.

francisco
12-16-2007, 01:56 AM
The people doing that obviously stupid thing are hurting Ron Paul. For at least some of them, that might be the intent. It's trolling on a different level.

kill the banks
12-16-2007, 01:56 AM

actually osama is waiting for his last cia cheque to clear ... it pays for his funeral expenses and juniors [ bush ] money bomb to run and hide in south america

blimp the banks

{ frankly he's dead }:cool:

The Only Woj
12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
if it doesn't match your BILLING INFORMATION

it won't count

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
evil ppl can donate really small sums a bunch of times to get their names on there.

The Only Woj
12-16-2007, 01:58 AM
its entirely possible non-RP backers are donating with false credit information to hurt the overall money bomb

kushaze
12-16-2007, 01:58 AM
i am neutral on using fake names.

sharedvoice
12-16-2007, 01:59 AM
CHUCK NORRIS JUST DONATED!!
http://smbdata.net/ron-counter.jpg

richk
12-16-2007, 02:00 AM
I was going to use John McCain being that I am from Arizona. :)

Party poopers :D

conner_condor
12-16-2007, 02:01 AM
So what about money orders? How about if someone bought them and sent in cash under different names. They don't take names for those when purchased.

Abobo
12-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Screw the FEC. Use pre-paid debit gift cards bought in cash and donate with whatever name you want.

Finn
12-16-2007, 02:02 AM
its entirely possible non-RP backers are donating with false credit information to hurt the overall money bomb
Oh come on, using Ben Bernanke?

That's just hilarious. I always think using nazi costumes and words as comedy destroys the enemy.

Cardinal Red
12-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Its the honest thing to do and the best one for the campaign. You will save our campaign staff a lot of headaches.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Its the honest thing to do and the best one for the campaign. You will save our campaign staff a lot of headaches.

+1

What kind of moron would do that? The FEC might get involved it it happens too much, the staff will be burdened because of it, the donation might be void and be returned, and the donor will hear about it to ....

....what a bunch of fools. :rolleyes:

AlexAmore
12-16-2007, 02:18 AM
I thought the FEC only got information regarding donations $200 and above...

I am an idiot about this stuff though...

olehounddog
12-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I saw a Ben Bernanke a while ago.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:20 AM

It doesn't matter......don't use fake names....trust me ;)

JMO
12-16-2007, 02:20 AM
The FCC doesn't care what names goes on the widget.

Your credit card won't go through if you use another name besides whats on your credit card.

burningfur
12-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Does anyone have official information on fake names?

Jobarra
12-16-2007, 02:21 AM

True, but you have to use your real name in case you make more that $200 in donations in all I think.

Dan D.
12-16-2007, 02:24 AM
If you make more than $200 in donations, using a fake name is definitely bad for the campaign, and possibly a federal crime on your part.

But if you're keeping it under $200, the FEC (probably) doesn't care.

You look like an idiot for doing so in either case.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't even understand why there is even a discussion over this....just don't do it....

.....it's that simple....

Firehouse26
12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
wow, why would we even entertain support of "fake names." If Hillary goes after Obama for kindertarten, she'll love this! Please give it a rest!

francisco
12-16-2007, 02:29 AM
+1

What kind of moron would do that? The FEC might get involved it it happens too much, the staff will be burdened because of it, the donation might be void and be returned, and the donor will hear about it to ....

....what a bunch of fools. :rolleyes:

Plus LOTS OF BAD PUBLICITY

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Yeah, the widget name is not a column in the database that will go to the FEC.
That's just for display purposes and for email.

jorlowitz
12-16-2007, 02:32 AM
No, sorry... this is hilarious. Last time there were articles about all of the clever and cooky names. No FEC blow-up.

This is a chance to toy with that idea of people coming around to Ron Paul:

Who Knew?

Noam Chomsky
Glenn Beck
Oprah
Ralph Nader
Mao Tse Tung
Cher
Justin Timberlake
Family Guy
Darth Vader
The Crocodile Hunter
The IRS
The Fed
Alan Greenspan
Pat Robertson
Bill Bennett

Does anyone NOT support Ron Paul? I mean, who could be against freedom and the constitution (get the idea?)

*note: I'd avoid names that would be obviously offensive (Hitler, Osama, McVeigh, etc... the campaign will simply distance themselves from the name anyway, but it's not a funny way to do this)

The idea is not to commit fraud, it's to use the structures that have prevented this kind of movement in the past as pawns in our game (it's called a culture jam, it's harmless, fun, possibly helpful, and really kind of funny).

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Plus LOTS OF BAD PUBLICITY

unless the media comes here and finds it, they won't know about it. Anyway, knowing we have a sense of humor may help our "fringe" perception.

There are a hundred ridiculous conspiracy threads in here that are far more damaging publicity wise

Andrew-Austin
12-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Possible, but highly unlikely that they would do this in the very early morning.

Wouldn't really make a difference.

Soccrmastr
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9009/hillaryclintrondonatesnx9.jpg

haha Hillary Clinton. Someone also donated as Ben Bernanke

devil21
OK so some bullshit names at 3:32am....BFD! Worry about that stuff during the middle of the day. I doubt anybody really gives a rats ass about names until a dispute from the credit card company (like the scammers did) comes in and obviously those names aren't scammers. Let the people have a little fun with it.

Its a Tea Party! Do you think the men that threw the tea overboard cared about anything but liberating this country?

jmunjr
Hmm I wonder if Uncle Sam donated ?

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:37 AM
unless the media comes here and finds it, they won't know about it. Anyway, knowing we have a sense of humor may help our "fringe" perception.

There are a hundred ridiculous conspiracy threads in here that are far more damaging publicity wise

This is a legal issue with the FEC......first and foremost......

..........PLEASE....Do Not Use Fake Names....Nothing good will come of it......

........There is absolutely no reason not to use your real name....so please do so....

Ack
12-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Yeah, the widget name is not a column in the database that will go to the FEC.
That's just for display purposes and for email.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that the donor name (not credit card name), donor address, and donor employer are all used to track FEC compliance. This is how they make sure your total donations don't go over $2300, you're a citizen, you're not a government contractor, etc.

The bottom line is that at best using fake names is going to cause some bad publicity ("Ron Paul claims to have raised a record amount of money on the 16th, but allegations of fraudulent donations have many questioning the validity of his numbers...") and at worst it's going to cause legal trouble for the people doing it. Why risk it?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
This is a legal issue with the FEC......first and foremost......

..........PLEASE....Do Not Use Fake Names....Nothing good will come of it......

........There is absolutely no reason not to use your real name....so please do so....

We told you - the FEC info is the credit card auth info - where you have to use your real name.
The contact info for the widget is not part of the database that will go to the FEC.
HQ can confirm this.

Thanehand
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
DON'T DO IT.

* The fake names are being put into the "contact information" fields, which means that you contact info may be excluded from the campaign database, making it look like there are less supporters (see the news coverage on Obama getting 20,000 names from Oprah fronted rallys).

* It will cause extra work for the campaign office as they now have to sift through, verify and remove false information like this. Time is money and this extra work means that MONEY YOU JUST DONATED IS BEING WASTED.

You would think this is common sense. :/ Blah. Please paste my bullets in the first message and sticky this thread!

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:40 AM
We told you - the FEC info is the credit card auth info - where you have to use your real name.
The contact info for the widget is not part of the database that will go to the FEC.
HQ can confirm this.

Then go get confirmation wise ass....

There is still no reason not to use your real name....

.....but hey....do what you want to kid....it's your ass....

You want to take a risk for a stupid 10 second joke????

What kind of moron would do that????

You know what...I'm done with this.....if this simple concept of honesty escapes people..then fnck it....

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Then go get confirmation wise ass....

There is still no reason not to use your real name....

.....but hey....do what you want to kid....it's your ass....

You want to take a risk for a stupid 10 second joke????

What kind of moron would do that????

You know what...I'm done with this.....if this simple concept of honesty escapes people..then fnck it....

It's no more fraudulent than using "xexkxex" instead of your real name.
The CC info is honest and no contracts were broken.
If it were that important, it would autofill the name with the CC info.

rory096
12-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Screw the FEC. Use pre-paid debit gift cards bought in cash and donate with whatever name you want.
Screw the FEC? Sorry, but elections don't work like that.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 02:56 AM
It's no more fraudulent than using "xexkxex" instead of your real name.
The CC info is honest and no contracts were broken.
If it were that important, it would autofill the name with the CC info.

What ever kid.... You are comparing my message board name to this...lol.....You already failed.

when you have to check a box confirming that all info is truthful....be sure it is....:rolleyes:

There is NO reason to do it....FAIL.

rory096
OK so some bullshit names at 3:32am....BFD! Worry about that stuff during the middle of the day. I doubt anybody really gives a rats ass about names until a dispute from the credit card company (like the scammers did) comes in and obviously those names aren't scammers. Let the people have a little fun with it.

Its a Tea Party! Do you think the men that threw the tea overboard cared about anything but liberating this country?
Actually the guys running the tea party had very strict rules that it be entirely professional, just throwing the tea off of the boat.

Baba Ram Dass
HQ can confirm this.

The address, at the very least, is used when filing the FEC stuff:

Federal law requires we report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for contributions of more than $200.00 per election cycle.

I would think the name on the left is what gets filed as well. The stuff on the right is just to make the credit card transaction.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:58 AM
What ever kid.... You are comparing my message board name to this...lol.....You already failed.

your expert opinion will be pocketed in my heart forever

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 02:59 AM
I made my donation only $25 for the "fake" one.

ErikBlack
12-16-2007, 03:00 AM
I have to agree. I'm starting to wonder if most of Ron Paul's base is a bunch of college kids sitting around in dorm rooms getting high and goofing off on the internet. The entire point of a money bomb is to impress people outside of the circle of Ron Paul supporters and convey an appearance of political strength and serious support, not to amuse ourselves with practical jokes that most people will fail to see the humor in and might get the campaign in trouble.

devil21
12-16-2007, 03:03 AM
DON'T DO IT.

Breaking news on the Ron Paul campaign! This just in. Ron Paul raised 12 million dollars on sunday but received 17 total donations from people named Hillary Clinton, Ben Bernanke, and Rudy Giuliani! How terrible are these Ron Paul supporters to forge these names on 12 donations out of 85,000 donations? Shame on you.

Gimme a break.

I agree to use real names but scolding people for a VERY minor bit of fun isn't cool. Hasnt Ron himself said repeatedly "Have FUN with this campaign!"?

Thanehand
12-16-2007, 03:05 AM
The word of these fake names is already out. There are submissions on Digg.com with screenshots and headlines saying "Rudy donates to Ron Paul"

This is not a good thing. Use your real name.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:05 AM
your expert opinion will be pocketed in my heart forever

What?? Is that suppose to mean something...where is the logical reasoning behind making the fake donation that I was expecting....was I expecting too much??? ;)

I made my donation only $25 for the "fake" one.

So you are just mad because I didn't think your immature joke was worth the risk and am now calling you on it? Is that why you are upset?

....I don't care if you did it.

All I ask is for people to not encourage it out of common sense...

....there is logical reason to do it....based on the possible risk involved...

Give it up kid.

The word of these fake names is already out. There are submissions on Digg.com with screenshots and headlines saying "Rudy donates to Ron Paul"

This is not a good thing. Use your real name.

Case and Point.

jeff_from_VA
12-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Why would anyone want to hide behind a silly name?

I feel using a fake name is childish.

michaelwise
12-16-2007, 03:07 AM
I am calling for a full Congressional Investigation of Tea Party '07! I want this to be on every major news network in the world, 24/7! I want Nancy Grace to be all over this! Someone has to get to the bottom of this! I know my rights!

devil21
12-16-2007, 03:08 AM
This is a tiny issue. You act as if some Redstate blogger spewing crap about "Hillary Clinton donating on Dec 16" will spell the end of this campaign. Relax.

GOOD POINT TO THE POST ABOVE MINE! IF YOU POST ABOUT IT AND HARP ON IT THEN YOU ARE JUST PROMOTING IT! Leave it alone.

tttar
12-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Some of you don't get it yet - DONATIONS UNDER FALSE NAMES MAY LATER BE VOIDED.

See the problem?

devil21
12-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Some of you don't get it yet - DONATIONS UNDER FALSE NAMES MAY LATER BE VOIDED.

See the problem?

Actually no I dont. One disputed donation out of 1000 isn't a major concern since people that are dropping big bucks will put in their real name. The $1 donation with a fake name won't affect anything in reality.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:11 AM
....this is a lost cause...

Abobo
12-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Show me were in the constitution it gives the FEC authority to force you to disclose your name.

Baba Ram Dass
Some of us are just pessimistic, considering the media's past behavior. :(

Thanehand
This is a tiny issue. You act as if some Redstate blogger spewing crap about "Hillary Clinton donating on Dec 16" will spell the end of this campaign. Relax.

Do you really want me to count how many tiny issues the media has used against Ron Paul?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 03:14 AM
What?? Is that suppose to mean something...where is the logical reasoning behind making the fake donation that I was expecting....was I expecting too much??? ;)

So you are just mad because I didn't think your immature joke was worth the risk and am now calling you on it? Is that why you are upset?

....I don't care if you did it.

All I ask is for people to not encourage it out of common sense...

....there is logical reason to do it....based on the possible risk involved...

Give it up kid.

Don't patronize me, you pompous asshole.
"There is no logical reason to do it" - maybe from your arrogant soulless perception of life.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Don't patronize me, you pompous asshole.
"There is no logical reason to do it" - maybe from your arrogant perception of life.

Still no logic...just more insults...nice.

Fail.:rolleyes:

burningfur
12-16-2007, 03:16 AM
http://masklinnscans.free.fr/4chan/fail.jpg

devil21
Do you really want me to count how many tiny issues the media has used against Ron Paul?

Go for it! Do you think it's made a difference? Hasn't RP raised nearly a million dollars in the last 4.5 hours? This type of complaining is piddly and serves no purpose.

EDIT: Watch out for people trying to cause a disturbance. I worry about people like that much more than one guy who donates $10 and puts "George Washington" as his name.

JoeySweets
Well

I did just see that Jesus Christ donated to Ron Paul

looks like he's switched from Huckabee to RP.

moberley
HQ can confirm this.

Based on the data collection required of registered committees by the Federal Elections Commission, I think it more likely that all of the information on the left side goes into end of quarter reports. There is always a delay between the end of quarter and the actual reporting which I interpret as meaning the campaign staff has to verify the data to some extent. Based on that it's possible that donations submitted under names not matching the credit card info are among those that are returned. On the other hand, the opposite is also possible.

It seems to me this issue arises only because the Ron Paul campaign publishes a live feed of many donor names regardless (apparently) of donation size. Whereas the government only requires that the names of donors giving a total of $200 be published. (Obviously fewer people are likely to donate $200 using a joke name.)

Lacrosseus
12-16-2007, 03:17 AM
yea, i just saw a donation from someone named "I AM SUPER AWESOME"

:rolleyes:

real names > i am super awesome

I just saw JESUS CHRIST too...

and he lives in California of all places. :D

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:18 AM
100's of fake names with the help of digg articles popping up will be sure to do damage to the campaign....

.....good job guys....:rolleyes: FAIL

burningfur
12-16-2007, 03:19 AM
I just saw JESUS CHRIST too...

and he lives in California of all places. :D

Screen Cap or it didn't happen.

devil21
12-16-2007, 03:21 AM
100's of fake names with the help of digg articles popping up will be sure to do damage to the campaign....

.....good job guys....:rolleyes: FAIL

Having Jesus Christ donating to Ron Paul will certainly hurt the campaign. Anyone who tries to "digg" that story will look like a fool.

cradle2graveconservative
12-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Well

I did just see that Jesus Christ donated to Ron Paul

looks like he's switched from Huckabee to RP.

I lol'd

Seriously though, while I agree it's possibly a little unprofessional to be using fake names, it makes me smile to realize that some people are having fun giving money. I think I saw someone mention this earlier, but isn't that exactly what Ron Paul told us to do with this campaign, have fun with it? We're all Ron Paul supporters here, and I think we need to let the little things go. If someone is going to donate as Jesus, fine, I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't want out of control government spending either. And since when did we really give any weight to what the media thought of us, we all would've stopped long ago if we took every small hit piece to heart.

"What's victory to you in this campaign?"
"Well, uh, to win."
"That's not gonna happen."

Need I say more?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 03:33 AM
One day the media portrays us a fringe whackos, the next we're anarchists, the next we're white supremacists... if the media picks this up, it'll show we aren't the above, but normal people with a sense of humor.
Most poeple's initial reaction was a chuckle, before the paranoia "OMG we're breaking the law".. it is this type of complicated BS law RP is vehemently against

Patriot2572
12-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Stop using fake names. The establishment controlled media will just use it to discredit Ron Paul, and lie to the public saying it was fraudsters/fake donations/spammers donating funny money to ron paul under names such as jesus christ, rudy,billary etc...

Use your real name, this is serious. Not a joke.

edit: i'd be all for using fake names and having fun with it - if it weren't for the media using this as an excuse. I can just see oreilly showing screenshots of Jesus christ,rudy giuliani, hillary clinton etc donating...and then imply that most of these donations were fake, and his braindead audience will believe it.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:37 AM
One day the media portrays us a fringe whackos, the next we're anarchists, the next we're white supremacists... if the media picks this up, it'll show we aren't the above, but normal people with a sense of humor.
Most poeple's initial reaction was a chuckle, before the paranoia "OMG we're breaking the law".. it is this type of complicated BS law RP is vehemently against

1. You think to highly of what the media might do....given their record....

2. Still no a reason to do it listed.

3. Negative effects still out weigh the 10 second joke that it was to each donor who did it.

It's that simple... Please, I and many others are asking you and others to not promote it and try to justify it...please...

susano
12-16-2007, 03:39 AM
I lol'd

Seriously though, while I agree it's possibly a little unprofessional to be using fake names, it makes me smile to realize that some people are having fun giving money. I think I saw someone mention this earlier, but isn't that exactly what Ron Paul told us to do with this campaign, have fun with it? We're all Ron Paul supporters here, and I think we need to let the little things go. If someone is going to donate as Jesus, fine, I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't want out of control government spending either. And since when did we really give any weight to what the media thought of us, we all would've stopped long ago if we took every small hit piece to heart.

"Well, uh, to win."

Need I say more?

Well said. As long as the credit card or Paypal goes through, I don't care if they call themselves Bozo.

cradle2graveconservative
12-16-2007, 03:42 AM
I imagine these forums are currently making a bigger deal out of this than the media ever would (I'm not sure that Digg counts as mainstream quite yet), and I think people get the idea. I'm not sure the cursing and yelling that's going on here is going to change someone's mind one way or the other, it's just driving a wedge into the grassroots effort. Plus, come on guys, it's four in the morning, go to bed.

Cyclone
12-16-2007, 03:45 AM
The credit cards will not go through unless the name matches the name on the card. What the hell are you children doing? This is NOT A GAME.

Patriot2572
12-16-2007, 03:47 AM
The credit cards will not go through unless the name matches the name on the card. What the hell are you children doing? This is NOT A GAME.

Yes that is also true. 99.99% of merchants now of days require correct name, billing address for the card to be charged. Another reason NOT to use fake names.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:49 AM
I imagine these forums are currently making a bigger deal out of this than the media ever would (I'm not sure that Digg counts as mainstream quite yet), and I think people get the idea. I'm not sure the cursing and yelling that's going on here is going to change someone's mind one way or the other, it's just driving a wedge into the grassroots effort. Plus, come on guys, it's four in the morning, go to bed.

No one has curse but you...when you called me an asshole....;)

All I want is what is best for the campaign...and I think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

I'm sure we all can agree on that. This is not my position alone...it is the campaign's position.

I'm waiting for the next $3,900 to see it click over to 1 million.... :D Then bed might sound good.

Gordon
12-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Who cares if 3-4 people out of tens of thousands play a joke? Come on, lighten up.

Abobo
12-16-2007, 03:50 AM

Insulting those who wish to protect their privacy from an unconstitutional intrusion are children. Yes. That must be the case. I'm glad you're really leading by example. Your maturity is amazing.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Who cares if 3-4 people out of tens of thousands play a joke? Come on, lighten up.

3-4....oh man....I wish you were correct....I've seen 30+ just watching it ....now with the 6+ Digg articles I have seen have more doing it....I truly wish you were correct....but you are missing the bigger picture...

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Here is something to consider...let's see if anything comes of it.....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=55607

burningfur
12-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Here is something to consider...let's see if anything comes of it.....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=55607

+1

Question Answered.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Why are people trying to find an excuse to be able to give a fake name?

I just do not get it.

All I want is what is best for the campaign...and I think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

I'm sure we all can agree on that. This is not my position alone...it is the campaign's position.

I know this because I had to check a box saying... "By checking this box, I confirm that each of the above statements is true and accurate."

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 04:10 AM
A little common sense here... if the display name HAD to match the CC info, there wouldn't be a separate text box to write a name to display for the widget. They would have omitted it as an option.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 04:12 AM
A little common sense here... if the display name HAD to match the CC info, there wouldn't be a separate text box to write a name to display for the widget. They would have omitted it as an option.

You still have to write your name....this is so spouses can use family credit cards....common sense...lol.

If clicked this box..
"By checking this box, I confirm that each of the above statements is true and accurate."

..and it was not true...you fncked up....period..

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-16-2007, 04:17 AM
1. This contribution is made on a personal credit or debit card for which I have the legal obligation to pay, and is made neither on a corporate or business entity card nor on the card of another.

2. I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident.

3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

4. I am not a federal government contractor.

5. I am at least 18 years of age.

I violated none of these.

The checkbox on the left is pertinent to the display name.

you are a fear mongering troll

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 04:20 AM
1. This contribution is made on a personal credit or debit card for which I have the legal obligation to pay, and is made neither on a corporate or business entity card nor on the card of another.

2. I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident.

3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

4. I am not a federal government contractor.

5. I am at least 18 years of age.

I violated none of these.

The checkbox on the left is pertinent to the display name.

you are a fear mongering troll

It's for the entire page...most people would assume so who are filling out a form with personal and financial information on it...I'm sorry that you feel that calling me names like a child (Asshole, Troll, etc) can justify your childish and frankly immature joke...

Lying while giving donations is wrong..if you can not see that...then I am truly sorry.

You fail.

Cascadian
12-16-2007, 04:45 AM
I don't know if anyone has answered this from earlier in the thread regarding ZZ, but if you will notice it's preceded by FPO. FPO stands for "Fleet Post Office," and is associated with Navy installations and ships. You may also see APO, which is "Army Post Office." The ZZ is a state code. The only information that I can find on it, is that ZZ is entered when there isn't a known address, which could mean the donor is in the Persian Gulf.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 04:51 AM
I don't know if anyone has answered this from earlier in the thread regarding ZZ, but if you will notice it's preceded by FPO. FPO stands for "Fleet Post Office," and is associated with Navy installations and ships. You may also see APO, which is "Army Post Office." The ZZ is a state code. The only information that I can find on it, is that ZZ is entered when there isn't a known address, which could mean the donor is in the Persian Gulf.

I'm not really sure what you are regarding...

This thread was about people using false names when donating tonight (The Pope, Hillary Clinton, Jesus Christ, ect.)...a lot of people did and even some Digg pages were made...

....I hope nothing comes of it...It would be a shame if it did...

SpicyItalian739
12-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Just saw a donation from... Betsy Ross... occupation: Flag designer

BlueCalico
12-16-2007, 04:54 AM
It has to be Ron Paul haters doing it so the campaign will have to reverse them all - a bookkeeping nightmare. Idiots.

chipvogel
12-16-2007, 04:55 AM
.....where is Ziggy Stardust? He usually shows up for these events.

richk
12-16-2007, 04:57 AM
I lol'd

"Well, uh, to win."

Need I say more?

QFT. If I recall correctly, this happened during last quarter's fundraising also. It's funny--- you naysayers are getting too wound up about this. And you certainly aren't able to stop the process, so.....lighten up. It is funny to see Jesus donating to RP :D

Cascadian
12-16-2007, 04:57 AM
It's just my perception, but might I suggest that the discussion regarding fake names be taken someplace private? I've already seen suggestions that if Ron Paul supporters were put into a room together there would be a riot. I would hate to see that appear to be true, because I know that we (Ron Paul supporters) are above that.

devil21
12-16-2007, 05:00 AM
It has to be Ron Paul haters doing it so the campaign will have to reverse them all - a bookkeeping nightmare. Idiots.

Yall have no clue how credit card type transactions work. The "name" section is for the widget. The credit card info part is for the FEC and the book-keepers.

THESE NAMES WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN A COUPLE WHINY REDSTATE BLOGGERS!

Cascadian
12-16-2007, 05:01 AM
xexkxex,
Someone brought up the ZZ earlier in the thread. I was replying to that.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 05:03 AM
xexkxex,
Someone brought up the ZZ earlier in the thread. I was replying to that.

I was actually reading back at that just now... I don't know enough to respond to it though... ;)

As for this discussion/thread...

Cascadian
12-16-2007, 05:18 AM
xexkxex,
I went back to look for the post #, and I think I might have gotten this thread confused with the Hillary Clinton thread, the one with the pictures. Pardon my blunder. In any case, just to clarify what I'm referring to, under the name of the donor appears the city and state, and someone brought up that they saw a state of ZZ. I've seen it, too, today and on Nov. 5th. Just responding with what little I know about ZZ.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 05:20 AM
xexkxex,
I went back to look for the post #, and I think I might have gotten this thread confused with the Hillary Clinton thread, the one with the pictures. Pardon my blunder. In any case, just to clarify what I'm referring to, under the name of the donor appears the city and state, and someone brought up that they saw a state of ZZ. I've seen it, too, today and on Nov. 5th. Just responding with what little I know about ZZ.

Oh..Ok... that is good to know...thanks...If I would have seen it I would have been asking about it too..... :)

By the way...welcome to the boards, you can call me Charles....I know xexkxex does not rolloff the fingers well...and good morning....5:30 here ....;)

Cascadian
12-16-2007, 05:29 AM
You're welcome, Charles, and thank you for the friendly greeting. It's 3:30 and past my bedtime, but didn't want to miss the opening salvo of the teaparty. :)
Edit: We have a creek running behind the place here. We thought about dumping a little tea of our own into it, but since it's glacier melt, snow melt and rain, plus it's rushing by at a tremendous speed, didn't think it would be too smart to get out there on the edge to toss some Lipton in.

planetaryjim
12-16-2007, 05:32 AM
It is impossible to tell if the donors using fake names are Ron Paul enthusiasts, or others trying to damage his campaign somehow. Use of a fake name might make the credit card order go awry, among other potential problems.

Whatever else happens, the Federal Election Commission is going to be mean to Dr. Paul. It is in their nature to be vile, statist jerks. So, of course, they are going to scrutinize every contribution he's received to the best of their ability. Why not? It is only taxpayer dollars they waste in doing so, would be their thinking. Those in power do not like to have power limited, checked by constitutional limits, or revised. Dr. Paul is no friend of big government, so we cannot expect big government to be friendly.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 05:35 AM
It is impossible to tell if the donors using fake names are Ron Paul enthusiasts, or others trying to damage his campaign somehow. Use of a fake name might make the credit card order go awry, among other potential problems.

Whatever else happens, the Federal Election Commission is going to be mean to Dr. Paul. It is in their nature to be vile, statist jerks. So, of course, they are going to scrutinize every contribution he's received to the best of their ability. Why not? It is only taxpayer dollars they waste in doing so, would be their thinking. Those in power do not like to have power limited, checked by constitutional limits, or revised. Dr. Paul is no friend of big government, so we cannot expect big government to be friendly.

You have valid points....but this conversation is over...Let's let it die and hope for the best...:)

All anyone wants is what is best for the campaign...and we think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

Lets go look at the graph!!! MUahahahaHahahhahaHAHaahaAH :D:eek::D

thuja
12-16-2007, 05:35 AM
if you used a fake name, the card donation would not be accepted, so it must not be any of us

ksu_s13
12-16-2007, 05:37 AM
My guess is that it's Ron Paul haters doing this.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 05:37 AM
if you used a fake name, the card donation would not be accepted, so it must not be any of us

As a business owner....I will tell you first hand that it will and I would have to deal with it later....;)

This is due to spouses and children of parents being able to use the household providers card...

and...god forbid....if this is big enough..we and the media would hear about it...let's hope for the best..:)

All anyone wants is what is best for the campaign...and we think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

Coola
12-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I just saw Mike Huckabee in the donate widget. *sigh*

pickfair
12-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Yep, spotted that as well.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6548/huckabeekv5.jpg

I don't think the displayed name matters as long as the credit card is sound...

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:12 AM
*sigh*

erran speaker
12-16-2007, 06:12 AM
bump

dc74rp
12-16-2007, 06:51 AM
If you don't use your real name, you are violating Federal elections law.

While I may disagree with that law, to violate it at this point hurts the cause.

Read the actual paper form:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008-Reply-form.pdf

Full Name*:___________________________________________
FEC requires names be spelled out and will not accept initials.

*Required Information

Federal law requires we report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of
employer for contributions of more than $200.00 per election cycle. Individuals may contribute
up to $2,300.00. Couples may contribute up to $4,600.00. Contributions are not deductible
as charitable contributions. Corporate contributions are prohibited.

The campaign is required not to provide the name on the credit card, which might be a nickname, to the FEC. It is required to provide the name on the form. Why would we want to create problems for the campaign with the FEC?

Mic_gamester
12-16-2007, 06:56 AM
I dont know if it has been pointed out, but if a user is using Pay Pal, that could be why the name can go though incorrect. The only thing we can hope is that the pay inquiry can cross check the email address used to make the payment.

dc74rp
12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Not only is making campaign contributions under a false name not allowed, but the campaign cannot knowingly accept such contributions.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) directly prohibits any person from making political contributions in the name of another. Title 2 U.S.C. § 441f.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/11cfr110.4.htm

From the FEC website:

Contributions in the Name of Another

Contributions made by one person in the name of another are prohibited. No person may knowingly permit the use of his or her name to effect such a contribution. It is also prohibited to knowingly assist someone in making or to accept a contribution in the name of another. It is also unlawful to knowingly permit the use of one's name to effect a contribution in the name of another or to help someone make or accept such a contribution. 11 CFR 110.4(b).

Edit: The name on the credit card is not good enough, as a credit card may be in a nickname. My real first name isn't on my credit card. The campaign is reqired to provide your first and last name.

It creates problems for the campaign. They will end up being subtracted from our total today. This is what they have to go through when recieving prohibited contributions:

Handling Illegal Contributions

The treasurer of a committee is responsible for ensuring that all contributions are lawful. 11 CFR 103.3(b). If the treasurer has reason to suspect that a contribution is excessive or prohibited, he or she must, within 10 days of receiving the contribution, either return the contribution to the donor or deposit the contribution. 11 CFR 103.3(a). If the contribution is deposited, the treasurer must:

Maintain sufficient funds in the account to refund the contribution should it prove to be illegal or place the contribution in a separate account for this purpose;

Keep written records noting the basis for the appearance of illegality;
Note that the legality of the contribution is in question when reporting the receipt of the contribution; and

Comply with appropriate deadlines (see sections below).
11 CFR 103.3(b)(4) and (5).

jcizzle
12-16-2007, 09:06 AM

While I may disagree with that law, to violate it at this point hurts the cause.

Read the actual paper form:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008-Reply-form.pdf

The campaign is required not to provide the name on the credit card, which might be a nickname, to the FEC. It is required to provide the name on the form. Why would we want to create problems for the campaign with the FEC?

Thank you for this. Cannot be emphasized enough. May look funny seeing weird names flash on the screen, but please act maturely with this kind of issue.

dvictr
12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
the name on credit card has to be real and should match name of donor

Naraku
12-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I imagine these forums are currently making a bigger deal out of this than the media ever would (I'm not sure that Digg counts as mainstream quite yet), and I think people get the idea.

Bingo. A stupid name won't violate any laws or cause any problems. As long as the credit card information is valid and yours, you'll be fine.

Not saying anyone should use a stupid name, but it's not illegal.

garyk
12-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Ask yourself...Would Ron Paul use a fake name?

dc74rp
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
the name on credit card has to be real and should match name of donor

No,

Although you must provide your correct personal info to a credit card company or bank, you don't have to have your real first name on a debit or credit card, it can be a nickname as long as your not trying to hide your identity from them. My real first name is not on my credit card.

sluggo
12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Bump

C'mon guys, this is a BAD idea.......

rory096
12-16-2007, 02:20 PM

From the FEC website:

added to first post. thanks.

LiveFreeorDie
12-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Bump

tropicangela
12-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I've seen the screenshots of Hillary and Rudy. Represent yourself! It's funny but this is important!

Mark Rushmore
12-16-2007, 02:41 PM

In America you don't have a "real" name (not with the state-sanctioned state-approved connotations in your post). You have whatever name you like. Let's not go ahead and give up that right to the state when they haven't even explicitly tried to take it yet (although they certainly have tried to take it in many subtle ways, with issues of ID and going so far as the present one we're discussing).