PDA

View Full Version : Independance Day Message

StagirasGhost
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Every year I compose and distribute a 4th of July essay and this year is no exception. Whether motivated by self-reflection, my family’s anticipation of its arrival (because if not received my parents will certainly think I am interned, dead or otherwise ill-disposed,) or my persistent will to understand and be understood, this year is especially poignant in light of recent events, generally, and the Honorable Dr. Ron Paul’s possible last bid for the presidency, specifically.

Many know that the only two Presidents to sign the Declaration of Independence, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, died on the fiftieth anniversary of the signing on July 4, 1826. Following his presidency, Adams retired to his farm in Quincy and began a lengthy correspondence with Thomas Jefferson that would last over twenty-five years—a correspondence ripe with both intersection and divergence. Although in his nineties and gravely ill, Adams resolved to live until the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1826 believing that without the very existence of the earthly vessel, that those Principles enumerated in the Declaration written under Jefferson’s hand only to be codified into law with the substitution of the Constitution, that the Republic and her benefactors could not long endure. That morning he was awakened by his servant who inquired if he knew what day it was. "Oh, yes," Adams replied, "it is the glorious fourth of July. God bless it. God bless you all." He then lapsed into unconsciousness. Later that afternoon, he awakened briefly to mumble "Thomas Jefferson still survive," before dying. Jefferson had died earlier that day.

Days before (June 24, 1826) in a letter written to respectfully decline Weightman’s invitation to attend July 4th celebrations , Jefferson encapsulated his thoughts on the blessing of Liberty when writing The Founding Document, “…May it be to the world, what I believe it will be, (to some parts sooner, to others later, but finally to all,) the signal of arousing men to burst the chains under which monkish ignorance and superstition had persuaded them to bind themselves, and to assume the blessings and security of self-government. That form which we have substituted, restores the free right to the unbounded exercise of reason and freedom of opinion. All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God. These are grounds of hope for others. For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them.”

One of the most notable differences in philosophy between Adams and Jefferson is the fact that Adams placed a detrimental reliance on something slightly less than the deification of the Founders to embody the Spirit of ’76, whereas Jefferson hoped that with each passing year, said same spirit would be bourne up again, refreshed with a new devotion by everyone, one to another, regardless that he may have long gone passed. On one hand, Adams was the humanist Unitarian; Jefferson the Rational Idealist. The latter explicitly wrote during his lifetime that the principles are far bigger than a few mortal men

July 4, 2007, The United States is facing one of its most challenging tests. We are asking ourselves what we stand for, where our national character is rooted, what we aspire to perpetuate and preserve and in a few short months, who will represent us as a Country. Most of you are receiving this because of your persistent and tireless efforts supporting Congressman Paul—a support, in whatever capacity, must continue not for the man, but for the message.

In reviewing Congressman Paul’s brilliant career as citizen statesman, most if not all of the accolades and quiet constitutional consistencies are accounted… and they are numerous. Congressman Paul’s record is undeniable and perhaps the most consilient line to the Spirit of ’76 in the history of the American Tradition. But, not unlike the fallacy of Adams, most people focus their attention on the man rather than the message. In the immortal words of my mother, “People will always disappoint you…because people are human and if nothing else, people will inevitably die. But values and principles and honor are forever.”

People often overlook Congressman Paul’s hiring of younger staffers, his investment of time and resource and respect to young people and his initial motivation to run for president—working in double time while remaining committed to his honorable duty representing congressional district 14 at a time when most men are spending their golden years with their families or simply reflecting on an otherwise lived life—It is the promotion of the Freedom Philosophy, that spark of divine right that Congressman Paul, The Founding Fathers, and countless others not unlike you and me must consistently stoke into a fire until it ignites the world-over.

Because of that self-searching moment when I came to understand how and why an awkward doctor from Pennsylvania quietly and consistently shakes the foundation of the American Conscience with a non-violent, yet vigilant voice, I have never thought it an accident that We, as a people on this Independence Day, celebrate the life-work of the Founders and Congressman Ron Paul. Likewise, I have never hesitated in conceding the fact that there will always be a battle of ideas that must be waged on the side of First Principles, Liberty and Ultimate Justice. For in the end it is America, and its values that we love, not the Founders’ and Congressman Paul’s considerable gifts in showing them to us. The Freedom Philosophy Congressman Paul has charted was there long before him; and with our tireless commitment and our children’s commitment, and their children’s commitment, Freedom can continue on long after this present course whether it is won on the side of good and even long after his passing. Congressman Paul is a great enough statesman and ideologue to tap our most common nightmares, political misgivings, social goals, and constitutional principles, but he never invented them either: he found them a place to live in the Pantheon of All that is Right and Good in Hopes and Dreams. We are often raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers—thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses, sophists employing [il]logic. On this day, and as we press on in the days to come, in the Spirit of ’76 let us praise, work, and live for that self-evident deference to Our God Given Rights and let us love with an undying devotion to them.

Towards Liberty and Creative Fidelity,
Jason Stoddard
July 4, 2007

nayjevin
07-04-2007, 01:17 PM
You have a gift, my friend. Spread your words far and wide.