PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Donation amount?

jasonoliver
12-15-2007, 09:26 PM
What is the minimum donation amount at ronpaul2008.com?

I made the decision to go to New Hampshire after Christmas instead of Donating a lot of money, but I want to make a token donation at 12:01 ET just to increase the donor count.

Wayne Hammond
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM

I made the decision to go to New Hampshire after Christmas instead of Donating a lot of money, but I want to make a token donation at 12:01 ET just to increase the donor count.

Probably not a good idea to make too small a donation. PayPal takes most of it that way, and a donation of $1.00 could actually cost the campaign money in PayPal processing fees. It's more economical for the official campaign if you maximize your donation with one large payment.

Also probably not a good idea for too many people to donate just after midnight - we don't want to break the server with 1,000 people making a donation right at 12:01 am.

jasonoliver
^ anyone?

yongrel

$5 should be safe, but I think you could get away with $1. I don't think the fees are that high.

Mani
12-15-2007, 09:32 PM

The preselected buttons have $25, but you can choose "Other" and put any amount. But remember there is a cost to process a transaction, so I wouldn't go so low as to make the transaction cost negate the donation.

I'd hope $25 is a good minimum.

Wayne Hammond
I think if you use the same contact info and credit card, even if you donate 10 times, you'll only be counted as "one donor".

jasonoliver
Probably not a good idea to make too small a donation. PayPal takes most of it that way, and a donation of $1.00 could actually cost the campaign money in PayPal processing fees. It's more economical for the official campaign if you maximize your donation with one large payment.

Also probably not a good idea for too many people to donate just after midnight - we don't want to break the server with 1,000 people making a donation right at 12:01 am.

Well I was thinking like $10 - $20 not $1 ...........lol

I will try to hold it until a little later. I think the big donators are planning to hit it right away.

jd603
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
don't do under $5 unless you have to.......

kylejack
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
.01 is the minimum. Don't donate the minimum.

Mani
12-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Even credit card companies charge a fee to process a transaction. 1%-4%. That's way some retail places have a sign that say, "$10 purchase minimum for credit cards"

Wayne Hammond
12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
.01 is the minimum. Don't donate the minimum.

PayPal has different scales for "merchant" accounts, but generally, it costs the campaign around 2% + 30 cents for a transaction... so a one-penny donation would end up costing the campaign at least 30 cents.

All in all, it's best to donate your max one time - that will reduce the amount the campaign has to pay for processing your donation - (economies of scale).

MozoVote
12-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Come on. A burger, fries and drink are around $8 nowadays. At least put $10 in there.

UtahApocalypse
12-15-2007, 09:39 PM
hmmm....

I have a CC with $3 on it. I got it as a promotion thing I was involved in. I cant ever get any more money on it. I have no real use for it. I think tonight I will kill it :D

Henry
12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
PayPal has different scales for "merchant" accounts, but generally, it costs the campaign around 2% + 30 cents for a transaction... so a one-penny donation would end up costing the campaign at least 30 cents.

All in all, it's best to donate your max one time - that will reduce the amount the campaign has to pay for processing your donation - (economies of scale).

SHHHHHHH. There are eyes and ears in them there hills.;)