PDA

View Full Version : NY-Cops Used ‘Spit Hood’ While Restraining Naked Black Man Who Died of Asphyxiation

Anti Federalist
09-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Video Shows Cops Used ‘Spit Hood’ While Restraining Naked Black Man Who Died of Asphyxiation

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020/09/03/video-shows-cops-used-spit-hood-while-restraining-naked-black-man-who-died-of-asphyxiation/

Rebecca Mansour 3 Sep 2020

A Black man who had run naked through the streets of Rochester, New York, died of asphyxiation after being forcibly restrained by police officers who placed a spit-hood over his head and pressed his face into the pavement for over two minutes in the early hours of March 23, according to video and records released Wednesday by the man’s family.

Daniel Prude, 41, who suffered from acute mental health problems, died on March 30 after he was taken off life support, seven days after his 11-minute encounter with six police officers in Rochester. His death received no public attention until Wednesday, when his family held a news conference and released police body camera video and written reports they obtained through a public records request.

A medical examiner’s report concluded that Prude’s death was a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.” The autopsy also found a low level of the hallucinogen drug phencyclidine, or PCP, in Prude’s system. The report lists excited delirium and “acute phencyclidine intoxication” as contributing factors in his death.

USA Today reports:

Prude had left his brother’s home wearing long underwear, a tank top and socks. He took off the clothes while on West Main, a witness told police. Police suspect Prude broke windows at a business before officers found him. Several people encountered him, and at least one person called 911 to report his erratic actions, according to police.

At 3:16 a.m., a police officer ordered Prude to lie on the ground and put his hands behind his back. Prude complied and was handcuffed.

Officers attempted to make a mental health arrest. Prude was agitated and spitting. Officers covered his head with a white “spit hood” meant to protect police from body fluids.

The videos show Prude is agitated and shouting as he sits naked on the pavement in handcuffs for a few moments as a light snow falls. “Give me your gun, I need it,” he shouts.

Officers then put a white “spit hood” over his head. At the time, New York was in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic. One officer wrote in a report that they put the hood on Prude because he was spitting continuously in the direction of officers, and they were concerned about coronavirus.

In the video (embedded below), Prude demands they remove the hood, yells at them, and tries to stand up. Officers then push him to the pavement and hold him down. One officer, who is white, holds his head down against the pavement with both hands, saying “calm down” and “stop spitting.”

Another officer places a knee on his back, and a third holds his legs down.

“Trying to kill me!” Prude says, his voice becoming muffled under the hood.

“OK, stop. I need it. I need it,” he pleads.

The officers appear to become concerned after he stops moving, falls silent, and they notice water coming out of Prude’s mouth.

“My man. You puking?” one says.

One officer notes that he’s been out, naked, in the street for some time. Another remarks, “He feels pretty cold.”

His head had been held down by an officer for just over two minutes, the video shows.

The officers then remove the hood and his handcuffs, and medics can then be seen performing CPR before he’s loaded into an ambulance about 11 minutes after the first police officer arrived on the scene.

Prude was from Chicago and had arrived in Rochester for a visit with his brother, Joe Prude. He was kicked off the train before it got to Rochester, in Depew, “due to his unruly behavior,” according to an internal affairs investigator’s report.

Rochester police officers took Prude into custody for a mental health evaluation around 7 p.m. on March 22 for suicidal thoughts — about eight hours before the encounter that led to his death. But his brother said he was only at the hospital for a few hours, according to the reports.

Police responded again after Joe Prude called 911 at about 3 a.m. to report that his brother had left his house.

“I placed a phone call for my brother to get help. Not for my brother to get lynched,” Joe Prude said at the news conference Wednesday. “How did you see him and not directly say, ‘The man is defenseless, buck naked on the ground. He’s cuffed up already. Come on.’ How many more brothers gotta die for society to understand that this needs to stop?”

The city halted its investigation into Prude’s death when state Attorney General Letitia James’ office began its own investigation in April. Under New York law, deaths of unarmed people in police custody are often turned over to the attorney general’s office, rather than handled by local officials.

James said Wednesday that investigation is continuing.

“I want everyone to understand that at no point in time did we feel that this was something that we wanted not to disclose,” Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren said at a press briefing. “We are precluded from getting involved in it until that agency has completed their investigation.”

Activists demanded that officers involved be prosecuted on murder charges and that they be removed from the department while the investigation proceeds.

“The police have shown us over and over again that they are not equipped to handle individuals with mental health concerns. These officers are trained to kill, and not to deescalate. These officers are trained to ridicule, instead of supporting Mr. Daniel Prude,” Ashley Gantt of Free the People ROC said at the news conference with Prude’s family.

Calls to the union representing Rochester police officers, and to the organization’s attorney, rang unanswered Wednesday.

Protesters gathered Wednesday outside Rochester’s Public Safety Building, which serves as police headquarters. Police clashed with the protesters and dispersed them using pepper spray. Free the People ROC said several of its organizers were briefly taken into custody after they entered the building while Warren was speaking to the media.

They were released on appearance tickets, said Iman Abid, regional director of the NYCLU, who was among those taken into custody.

Prude, known to his Chicago-based family by the nickname “Rell,” was a father of five adult children and had been working at a warehouse within the last year, said his aunt Letoria Moore.

“He was just a bright, loving person, just family-oriented, always there for us when we needed him,” she said, and “never hurt or harmed anybody.”

Prude had been traumatized by the deaths of his mother and a brother in recent years, having lost another brother before that, Moore said. In his last months, he’d been going back and forth between his Chicago home and his brother’s place in Rochester because he wanted to be close with him, she said.

She knew her nephew had some psychological issues. Still, when he called two days before his death, “he was the normal Rell that I knew,” Moore said.

“I didn’t know what was the situation, why he was going through what he was going through that night, but I know he didn’t deserve to be killed by the police,” she said.

The fatal encounter happened two months before the death of George Floyd in Minnesota prompted nationwide demonstrations. Floyd died after an officer put his knee on his neck for several minutes during an arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFMHf-n3MJg

Anti Federalist
09-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Charlamagne said, “You know what white privilege is? White privilege is what happened to George Floyd wouldn’t have happened to a white man.”

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F201 2%2F01%2F12%2Farticle-2085628-0F6E543E00000578-132_1024x615_large.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-v3cMazlXtd4%2FUU9aHaswEgI%2FAAAAAAAAJJc%2FTGx0435b qVs%2Fs1600%2FNick%2BChristie%2Bbefore%2Bpolice%2B help.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Nick Christie

phill4paul
09-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Well, this dude was whacked on PCP. Don't think Nick was. But, Nick was white so... <shrug>

Anti Globalist
09-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Guess BLM will be protesting his death as well and cause of lot of destruction in the process?

sparebulb
09-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Mistakes were made.

But, fortunately, policy was followed.

Burn, loot, murder.

Rinse and repeat.

Choose your team:

BLM Redstars

or

Bluelives Jackboots

The destination is the same.

RJB
09-03-2020, 06:48 PM
I normally don't have much sympathy for cops, but I would never want to chase around, let alone, touch a crazy naked man. That's just not my thing.

phill4paul
09-03-2020, 06:51 PM
I normally don't have much sympathy for cops, but I would never want to chase around, let alone, touch a crazy naked man. That's just not my thing.

On PCP.

RJB
09-03-2020, 06:53 PM
On PCP.
Well maybe if I was on PCP that might be fun. I hear HB was into that.

RJB
09-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Daniel Prude
. Quite an ironic last name for someone who runs around nude.

Working Poor
09-04-2020, 09:16 AM
There is so much mental illness these days and these people do at times disturb the peace and it is a fact that police are not trained to handle this type of case.

It seems like I remember some issue about not hiring police with IQ above a certain level could this be a part of the problem?

Valli6
09-04-2020, 10:04 AM
There is so much mental illness these days and these people do at times disturb the peace and it is a fact that police are not trained to handle this type of case.

It seems like I remember some issue about not hiring police with IQ above a certain level could this be a part of the problem?
Yes, Obama's AG, Eric Holder sued a bunch of states to lower the highering standards - mental, physical and skill-wise. He wasn't the first to do this though. Some individual states had already been quietly, incrementally lowering standards for their state police for many, many years. Obama's people said people with higher IQs could just get better jobs and would not stick around. Holder thought lowering standards was the key to increasing "diversity"- the only plan they could come up with.

It worked - sort of - that's why today, you see so many fat cops, weak cops who can't physically handle a violent thug and are easily frightened, so are more likely to just shoot, or get attacked themselves (especially women), cops who shoot bystanders because they are so unskilled with firearms (remember that NYC incident during Obama's administration where numerous bystanders were shot?), etc. They are still predominately white, though.

In fact, before Trump was elected, if you searched "police" and "diversity" - all the big cities - like NYC - were falling all over themselves bragging about being the "most diverse" police force in the country. There were many stories like this. With the proliferation of cops-kill-black-guy stories - which rose during the Obama years - I'm gonna guess all those stories have been scrubbed off the internet during Trump's administration.

dannno
09-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Do you think a psychiatrist would have been able to bring him down?

sparebulb
09-04-2020, 02:38 PM
Do you think a psychiatrist would have been able to bring him down?

I don't think that psychiatry is legitimate in any form, but common sense might lead someone to believe that simply having him cuffed and maybe zip-tying his ankles together while sitting on the ground that they could step back and let him spit to his hear's content until he calmed down or think of a better plan. A plan better than to put the bag over his head and choke him out.

dannno
09-04-2020, 02:47 PM
I don't think that psychiatry is legitimate in any form, but common sense might lead someone to believe that simply having him cuffed and maybe zip-tying his ankles together while sitting on the ground that they could step back and let him spit to his hear's content until he calmed down or think of a better plan. A plan better than to put the bag over his head and choke him out.

Hah, good luck with ALL that..

sparebulb
09-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Hah, good luck with ALL that..

Hey, don't get me wrong....I don't give a crap that this guy is dead. In fact, society is probably better for it.

But is this the result of the best policy that we can come up with?

I'm not giving the pigs a pass on this because they will willingly and eagerly use this tactics on you or me.

It is really irrelevant at the time whether this guy was high on PCP.

The use of force in many minds is justified by this guy's tox screen....a piece of information that the pigs don't have at the time. He could be a garden-variety mental case as far as they know.

CaptainAmerica
09-05-2020, 01:37 AM
Their training sucks, they don't know how to handle situations like this. The guy was also hopped up on PCP.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2020, 01:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-qxRqfeB4

Anti Federalist
09-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Rochester Police Chief La'Ron Singletary resigns amid RPD brass shake-up

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/rochester-police-chief-laron-singletary-and-his-top-deputies-resign/Content?oid=12223419

By Jeremy Moule
Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary announced his resignation Tuesday and several of his department's highest ranking officials either stepped down or were demoted in what was the starkest political fallout yet from the news of the death of Daniel Prude.

The departures included the chief, one of his deputies, and two commanders, as well as the demotions of two other deputy chiefs and another commander, and came three days after the state attorney general announced that she would impanel a grand jury to consider evidence in Prude's death.

The news rattled the highest levels of government in a city already shaken to its core.

Mayor Lovely Warren told City Council members during what was to be the first of a daily briefing on the escalating scandal engulfing her administration that she had only learned of the chief and his deputy's resignations moments before their meeting at 3 p.m.

Singletary, 40, and one of the deputies, Joseph Morabito, announced in separate and simultaneous news releases that they would be retiring.

In a sign of how fresh the news was to Warren, she could not answer the question from city lawmakers as to whether the resignations were effective immediately.

Warren later clarified during a brief City Hall news conference at 5 p.m., at which she took no questions, that Singletary would remain in charge until the end of the month. She concluded her remarks by saying that she was committed to implementing necessary reforms in the Police Department and working with City Council to chart a path forward.

"I know that there are many questions, but this just occurred and, honestly, I don't have the answers today," Warren said. "However, I will work diligently, along with City Council to provide those answers and share them in the coming days as I have them."

Singletary cited attempts by “outside entities” to impugn his integrity as the reason for his departure.

“As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character. The events over the past week are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity,” Singletary said. “The members of the Rochester Police Department and the greater Rochester community know my reputation and know what I stand for. The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for.”

Filing retirement papers enables the officers to keep their pensions and benefits. Singletary had 20 years on the force.

Singletary joined the force on July 31, 2000, according to the Police Department, and was appointed chief by Warren in 2019 to great fanfare.

But he has been accused of covering up the death of Prude at the hands of officers, and calls for his resignation and that of the mayor have swelled since the news of Prude’s death surfaced last week.

Warren has said that Singletary had told her a few hours after Prude fell unconscious and stopped breathing while being restrained by police in the early morning hours of March 23 that Prude had overdosed, suggesting that she was misled.

Prude died a week later, on March 30, although doctors at Strong Memorial Hospital, where paramedics took Prude after his arrest, told family members prior to his death that he was severely brain damaged.

Asked specifically over the weekend whether he lied to the mayor, Singletary said, “What I did was I provided factual information based on the incidents I had at the time.”

With the eyes of the national media corps on Rochester, word of the shake up quickly circulated, even grabbing the attention of President Donald Trump. The presidents seized on the news in an effort to bolster his re-election campaign, falsely claiming that "most of the police" in Rochester had resigned.

Police Chief, and most of the police in Rochester, N.Y., have resigned. The Democrat Mayor and, of courses, Governor Cuomo, have no idea what to do. New York State is a mess - No Money, High Taxes & Crime, Everyone Fleeing. November 3rd. We can fix it!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 8, 2020

The Rochester Police Locust Club, the union representing officers, released a statement pinning the shake up on a lack of leadership at City Hall.

“The events that have unfolded today have taken us completely by surprise, as they have everyone else," the statement read. "What is clear is that the problems of leadership go directly to the Mayor’s Office.”

Free the People Roc, the activist organization that has been coordinating the nightly demonstrations outside Police Department headquarters and had been called for Singletary to step down, hailed his resignation as a victory.

Indeed, the crumbling of the department's top brass appeared to have the effect of emboldening the group to continue to state protests until more heads rolled.

"We accept Police Chief La’Ron Singletary’s resignation and the resignations of the entire RPD Command Team," read a statement from the group. "Our movement for justice is winning, and it’s because of this incredible community, showing up night after night.

"Let’s keep the pressure up until all those responsible for Daniel Prude’s murder and cover up — including Mayor Lovely Warren — have resigned, taken responsibility, and donated their pensions to the families they allowed to be harmed," the statement went on. "Together we have the ability to hold those in power accountable and bring an end to systemic police violence in our community."

By the early evening, hundreds had gathered at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Dr. Samuel McCree Way, where Prude was arrested, as they have since news of his death became public last week. Some had begun painting "Black Lives Matter" in bold, yellow letters on the street.

"They said that the mayor and the police chief are never gonna resign," one demonstrator shouted gleefully into a microphone at the intersection to resounding applause. "Well guess what, stupid? We got them the f—- out of there!"

In the news release announcing his retirement, Morabito made no mention of Prude and focused on his 34 years of service. Morabito joined RPD on Dec. 5, 1986, according to the Police Department.

“I have often reflected on my time growing up in this City, and the many friends and neighbors who helped guide me and encouraged my decision to become an officer,” Morabito said. “I have never regretted that decision, and the people who I have had the privilege of assisting throughout my service, and will always consider my membership with the Rochester Police Department as one of the proudest achievements of my lifetime.”

The other changes to police brass included commanders Fabian Rivera and Elena Correia announcing their retirement, deputy chiefs Mark Mura and Mark Simmons being demoted to their previous ranks of captain and lieutenant, respectively, and Commander Henry Favor being returned to his previously held rank of lieutenant.

sparebulb
09-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Rochester Police Chief La'Ron Singletary resigns amid RPD brass shake-up

“As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character. The events over the past week are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity,” Singletary said. “The members of the Rochester Police Department and the greater Rochester community know my reputation and know what I stand for. The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for.”

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yglq7h1FUG8/XcP-J63f0yI/AAAAAAAAj6s/8L3XD9X-3yQnPpgpgK1BbyllRnk6JXfYwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/rats%2Bleaving.jpg

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2020, 09:56 AM
died of asphyxiation after being forcibly restrained by police officers who placed a spit-hood over his head and pressed his face into the pavement for over two minutes in the early hours of March 23

During the height of COVID panic. But that aspect will not be discussed. The hood was about systemic racism, nothing more.

It's quite interesting that an incident from almost 6 months ago has dominated every form of MSM for a week. Almost like there's an agenda at play.

Valli6
10-04-2020, 09:25 AM

Grand jury indicts Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren on alleged campaign finance violations
By DAVID ANDREATTA • OCT 2, 2020

Mayor Lovely Warren and two of her political associates, including the finance director for the city of Rochester, have been indicted on felony charges connected to campaign finance violations alleged to have occurred during Warren’s 2017 re-election run, the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office made public on Friday.

The three of them face two charges, including illegal coordination between political committees for the purpose of evading donor limits and participating in a scheme to defraud in the first degree.

Both are classified as nonviolent Class E felonies, which carry penalties that range from no jail time, to probation, to up to four years in prison.....

------------

....The charges come at a precarious time for Warren, whose administration has been under siege for a month over its handling, and mishandling, of the death of Daniel Prude. Local activists have called for her resignation and national media have questioned her leadership.

Prude was suffocated by Rochester police during a mental health arrest in March and died a week later, although the matter was not publicly disclosed until a lawyer representing his family brought it to light in September.

Warren has said she did not know the true circumstances of Prude’s death until August, and that she was barred from publicly discussing the incident by a state law that compelled the state attorney general to investigate the case. State Attorney General Letitia James has sharply rejected the mayor’s rationale for keeping Prude’s death a secret.

A 325-page dossier compiled by her deputy mayor, James Smith, ostensibly to bolster the mayor’s justification for her actions and to insulate her from criticism, laid out in detail how the highest levels of the Rochester Police Department worked to massage the circumstances of Prude death and keep word of it from getting out.

Shortly after the indictment was released, City Council President Loretta Scott issued a statement saying she was "obviously saddened by the news" but stressed that it would be business as usual at City Hall.

"I believe in due process and that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise," Scott said. "I want to assure the community that the business of the city will continue uninterrupted."

The indictment of Warren, Brooks-Harris, and Jones did not detail what specific actions they allegedly took to lead prosecutors to believe they had committed crimes. But reportage over the years suggests the case hinges on transfers of funds between Warren's campaign committee and her political action committee.

Assistant District Attorney Jacob Ark at one point said, "We are alleging that the entire political action committee itself was fraudulent."...

MORE: https://news.wbfo.org/post/grand-jury-indicts-rochester-mayor-lovely-warren-alleged-campaign-finance-violations