PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Economic: Corporations: Tobacco Subsidies

Nathan Pannbacker
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.greenscissors.org/agriculture/tobacco.htm

This is an issue that I believe we can make ground on. Tobacco subsidies are ecologically-destructive, health-destructive, unconstitutional, and of course, they require taxes to fund. Has Ron Paul made any statements in the past about tobacco subsidies that we can promote? Alternatively, has he made statements in similar areas such that we can make a strong case that he'd be against tobacco subsidies? Collecting some data on this and blogging about it would be valuable. It's probably not a big enough issue that he should go out and make a speech on it or anything, but it's certainly an issue we can promote on the ground level, so to speak.

Gee
07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
unconstitutional...
I think we can safely say Paul is against them. Aside from being completely immoral, he's said he's against all corporate welfare because its not something the constitution authorizes.

Nathan Pannbacker
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I sent an email to the campaign asking for an official statement of some kind. I brought it up in the first place because it's pretty obvious he would be against it. Yet some kind of statement would be valuable anyways. When/if I get a reply, I'll post it here.

Spirit of '76
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
The big problem with tobacco is government price fixing.

They pay independent farmers not to grow tobacco. They've killed off the staple crop of this region. :(

Get the government OUT of tobacco! Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.