PDA

View Full Version : Political Video Games

Fox McCloud
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Say, does anyone know of any government type video games...where you get to run your own government, choose the actions, choose the economic system, raise a military, etc?

Also, are there any games that are fun, yet they realistically simulate the differing economic systems? (sadly, it always seems that all of them portray capitalism as being bad v_v).

any and all suggestions recommended.

asgardshill
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Rome: Total War was one of my favorites a few years ago. I don't think that's exactly what you had in mind though.

There's always Monopoly for the diehard capitalists out there ;)

DamianTV
12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Sim City?

Tsoman
12-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been hoping for such a game to come out -- one that focuses on government and economic issues and not on war.

You could try the Civilization series

. Europa Universalis is also good game which concentrates on the period 1453-1731 I think.

I can't really think of anything beyond that, sadly.

Fox McCloud
12-15-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been hoping for such a game to come out -- one that focuses on government and economic issues and not on war.

You could try the Civilization series

. Europa Universalis is also good game which concentrates on the period 1453-1731 I think.

I can't really think of anything beyond that, sadly.

well, I was thinking war could be involved, but it wouldn't be a simple matter like all the other RTS games in the past.

I figured the kind of game I was looking for didn't exist; it would be incredibly large, as it would have to simulate hundreds of different political and economic systems, then mimic cultures, trends, people, etc.

It'd probably be one awesome game, once it was all said and done...but I doubt anyone will do it.

forsmant
12-15-2007, 08:50 PM
ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism_(computer_game)
industry giant
monopoly tycoon
sim city lets you control some parts of the economy and city ordinances
Sim Societies is probably as close as you can get.
ht tp://simcitysocieties.ea.com/about.php?languageCode=1
Sim City and its sequels are my favorite.

jgmaynard
12-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I always liked Alpha Centauri - You would run your economic system, direct research, wage war, that sort of thing. The Free Market system was not a successful as a "green" economy, but combined with a lot of research, you could do pretty well. :)

JM