PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: has Ron Paul ever lost any Republican candidate polls?

Akus
07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I know that is not a very pleasant thing to research, but we need to know our man's weaknesses as well, if not better, as strengths.

I would also like to know who is the biggest threat to Ron Paul as far as other Republican candidates go?

Mesogen
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Depends on what polls you are talking about.
All the Zogby/Gallup etc type polls has Ron Paul polling at 1-3%
All the online polls has Ron Paul smashing everyone else.

BW4Paul
07-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Depends on what polls you are talking about.
All the Zogby/Gallup etc type polls has Ron Paul polling at 1-3%
All the online polls has Ron Paul smashing everyone else.

Yup, old technology polls at one thing, new technology at another.

It's very likely that RP's support is much higher than 1-3%. Much has been made of the fact that the younger RP folks often have cell phones only. But no one has pointed out that the older RP crowd that does have landlines is also likely to be tech savy enough to have caller ID which prevents them from picking up for pollsters. As a result, it's clear that RP will be seriously underrepresented in phone polls...

That having been said, I'm also sure that he's far from being in the lead. A lot of people simply don't know who he is. So please join your local Meetup group at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/ to spread the word!

BLS
07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
This is just my opinion, and I realize I'm a bit biased, but while attempting to temper my expectations, we have to assume we have passed McCain by now.

Also, if RP shows to have more than 4 million dollars in donations, he's a major contender.

That being said...I've been thinking lately about putting up a site..just a petition type thing where you sign (JUST ONCE) if you are a Ron Paul supporter. This should give us a better idea of how many supporters he really has.

robatsu
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Me, I think a lot of these polls have to be skewed by more than just the newfangled cellphones and all (I'm a dinosaur at 47 yo, although cto of a sw startup).

Anyhow, I haven't been answering poll question for at least 20 years, since realizing, while responding to some sort of poll that I was giving away something (my opinions) that the recipient was going to sell. FWIW, I don't think that I'm like some sort of weirdo lunatic in this view.

tsoldrin
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Obama is winning the facebook/newsvine online poll with Giuliani, Hillary and Paul all nearly neck and neck right behind him.

j650
07-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Those national polls are mostly name recognition namely with Fred Thompson who hasn't done anything and is in the top 3. The internet polls are always suseptible to multiple voting. Is there any good way to figure out how much steam Ron Paul is gaining? I know it's a good sign that he attracted more people to his rally than 6 of his opponents in Iowa, but I'm curious to see how he's doing as a whole. I guess when we know how much cash he's raised that'll give us more information. Otherwise there's the Iowa straw poll in August, but Giuliani and McCain have already dropped out. But maybe that's a good thing if Ron Paul can take advantage and finish somewhere close to Romney and get more exposure. I think Paul is gaining a lot of support around the nation, I just wish there was a good way to measure it accurately.